Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Stingray?

sunburstjazz1967

I've seen pictures of a Stingray with wonky frets, couple of questions, would ebmm not be annoyed by another company copying their design other than changing the frets? and what is the point in the wonky frets anyway? I see some players went for them for a while claiming them to be the best intention ever yet a few years later appear to have gone back to normal frets, that tall guy who plays with Jools Holland being one for example.

I did try one and the fact you can't play chords on them made them unplayable for me.

Edited by sunburstjazz1967

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457347181' post='2997495']
The bevelled horns, the scratch plate shape surely would be infringing on something?

Ebmm wouldn't allow that gash truss rod adjuster hole though!
[/quote]

On a majority of instruments the only part of the shape trademarked/protected is the headstock. This is the case with Fender for 100% who lost a court case to protect the body shapes a few years back. I believe it's a similar sort of thing with Gibson also. Things are a bit different with Ricks though!

So most body shapes and especially small touches like those carves and pickguard are free for any one to take. I'm not saying it's right, but they are the rules!

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457343338' post='2997442']
I've seen pictures of a Stingray with wonky frets, couple of questions, would ebmm not be annoyed by another company copying their design other than changing the frets? and what is the point in the wonky frets anyway? I see some players went for them for a while claiming them to be the best intention ever yet a few years later appear to have gone back to normal frets, that tall guy who plays with Jools Holland being one for example.

I did try one and the fact you can't play chords on them made them unplayable for me.
[/quote]

I think it is only a headstock shape/design that can't legally be (exactly) copied.
I think fan fret designs were around before Dingwall basses came along, much like 5 and 6 string double basses were around long before electric basses took on that amount of strings.
I did try a Dingwall fan fret bass and found it comfortable to play. The low B or E have the longer string length for better string tension for the gauge of string needed down there.
I reckon a few chords could be played, just might have to cross your fingers!

The fan fret design belongs to Novax. They licence it to others.

Bevelled horns, scratch plate shape etc are not breaches. The companies didn't try to protect them 50 years ago so have lost the chance.

The Gibson -v- PRS litigation confirmed the USA position of "Confusion at the point of sale" - basically if the buyer wouldn't be confused then there is no infringement. So headstock design and logo is the important bit.

I like fan frets. I'd have a Dingwall Super J if I had the money.

I love my Dingwall, lots and lots of elements of it work very very well. Oh, and you can play chords on them... ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing the Dingbird* which is very very imminent, too...

* Got to be the preferred option to Thunderwall, which has way too much of the Gallagher brothers about it... <_< :)

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457355591' post='2997618']
I've seen more "bedroom players" than professional players or pub band players using them, they come across as a bit of a well healed over fiftees band to me?
[/quote]

Not really a surprise considering their relative newness in the market compared to endless Jazz & Precision types.

Now Ibanez are doing them at a mid-price bracket I imagine there will be more around. Fender won't make one though - it seems to be against their corporate rules to do anything new!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1457356004' post='2997626']
Fender won't make one though - it seems to be against their corporate rules to do anything new!
[/quote]

Now now, they brought out that Dimension last year, that was new......well it was a bit like a musicman, and it only took them 30 years to copy it. And they just brought out the American elite series recently, which is different to the American Deluxe because it has N4 pickups instead of N3.

Fender, at the cutting edge!

They're pretty popular among the metal crowd, the likes of Nolly Getgood from Periphery is making them more popular. Lee Sklar is currently touring his with Toto - both these guys have signature models and also play parallel fret instruments. I really like my pair (a Super J and Super P), and I'm well under 50 (:

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1457350677' post='2997539']
The fan fret design belongs to Novax. They licence it to others.
[/quote]

IIRC the Novax Fan-fret patent has now expired so anyone can make a fan fret instrument without needing to licence it.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457358810' post='2997686']
Is there a fretless version?
[/quote]

Why, do you need some more mwah on your weak upper strings? Or is it you need more burp on your unique "piano like" B?

You can get them fretless - Steven Gibson got a 6 string unlined fretless - he is mad though.
I also think it's still the case that even though the licence expired, Dingwall still pay Novax (or his estate) a fee for each instrument. Correct me if I'm manufacturing randomness.

Yes - eagerly awaiting the Dingbird.
They need to do a Ding-Bongo (which is a bit like a drink we used to have as kids), and then maybe a
Dingberger (headless, tiny body), heck, perhaps even a Ding Paul SG-shape.