Why become a member? ×

Survey for Gigging Bass Players.

bayles

Thanks for all the replies and your contributions lads they have been a HUGE help, i shall be revealing all soon hopefully .. The design has to go for copywrite and protection first (college requirements) but yes more room on stage and guaranteed instrument protection. What i might do as soon as i get the protection in place is publish the whole design up here (if its OK with MODS) and let you pull it apart and ask questions etc , your input is very important as you guys are the potential customers. You may be interested to know that the survey is actually going the way i thought it would and im very pleased with the result so far.

Also huge thanks to Basschat for letting me use their platform for the survey, i did ask first and Si said it would be cool. Im running the same survey on Talk Bass to get the US market point of view also.

Thanks again folks

Edited by bayles

[quote name='bayles' timestamp='1457362307' post='2997745']
You may be interested to know that the survey is actually going the way i thought it would and im very pleased with the result so far.
[/quote]

Without wanting to burst your bubble, you should be aware that the nature of this survey is that you're going to get a misleadingly popular response. Reasons why:

1. You've posted it in a very carefully selected environment. You've already whittled down the list of possible respondents to the kind of person who might be interested in a gadget for saving space on-stage.
2. Surveys, by their nature, are self-selecting. You've only gained market information about the kind of person who fills in online surveys. What about the kind of person who doesn't fill in online surveys? What do they want?
3. You haven't given much detail about the product, so no-one's got any reason to express disinterest. We're all naturally curious, we want to know more, and we're all projecting our own personal desires onto this nebulous item. If your product is actually only ergonomically suitable for crocodiles, and one of your survey questions was "would you be interested in a product that is only usable by crocodiles?" then you'd get a far less flattering set of results.
4. If you say to people "hypothetically, would you buy a porcelain walrus" then you'll get a smattering of "yeah why not" responses, and when you then go into business producing porcelain walruses, you might be disappointed by your sales. Turns out, people tend to be much more enthusiastic about gadgets and new ideas until the point at which you say "right, now buy one."

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1457368412' post='2997839']
Without wanting to burst your bubble, you should be aware that the nature of this survey is that you're going to get a misleadingly popular response. Reasons why:

1. You've posted it in a very carefully selected environment. You've already whittled down the list of possible respondents to the kind of person who might be interested in a gadget for saving space on-stage.
2. Surveys, by their nature, are self-selecting. You've only gained market information about the kind of person who fills in online surveys. What about the kind of person who doesn't fill in online surveys? What do they want?
3. You haven't given much detail about the product, so no-one's got any reason to express disinterest. We're all naturally curious, we want to know more, and we're all projecting our own personal desires onto this nebulous item. If your product is actually only ergonomically suitable for crocodiles, and one of your survey questions was "would you be interested in a product that is only usable by crocodiles?" then you'd get a far less flattering set of results.
4. If you say to people "hypothetically, would you buy a porcelain walrus" then you'll get a smattering of "yeah why not" responses, and when you then go into business producing porcelain walruses, you might be disappointed by your sales. Turns out, people tend to be much more enthusiastic about gadgets and new ideas until the point at which you say "right, now buy one."

S.P.
[/quote]

Some fair points, but it depends how you interpret the data. If this is simply establishing whether there is a perception of a problem that a product might solve and whether a market might exist the survey is valid. I don't think you could extrapolate the results in to a market size. Details of the product should be kept well under wraps if there is possibility that a patent will be applied for.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1457442570' post='2998576']
Some fair points, but it depends how you interpret the data. If this is simply establishing whether there is a perception of a problem that a product might solve and whether a market might exist the survey is valid. I don't think you could extrapolate the results in to a market size. Details of the product should be kept well under wraps if there is possibility that a patent will be applied for.
[/quote]

:thank_you: