Why become a member? ×

Looper timimg problem!

John Cellario

I cannot seem to click my TC Looper pedal in and out so it synchs perfectly in time.

I've just spent around two hours recording 8 bar loops, playing along to a drum track or metronome. When played back, the timing seems spot on, but as the loop keeps playing, the timing drifts fractionally out with the click track. I've only just bought this looper pedal yet have been playing for over 30 years and have always considered my timing to be pretty good. Obviously not!

I'm trying to click record exactly on the first beat of the bar - it seems such a simple technique, am I the only person unable to master it?

Yes, it seems to be devilishly difficult and I've been having a hard time doing this myself (with the Ditto and now with my Voicelive 3).

I think part of the problem is that the timing is not really intuitive. If you try to kick it like a bass drum (exactly on the beat) it's a bit too late. But it's just a theory.

Maybe go to do it early, then by the time you've switched the looper you'll be on time ?

A lot of looper guys like Steve Lawson and Michael Manring, and myself when I was doing a lot last year, don't do what you're trying to achieve. If they use 'percussive effects', then they create them themselves using their bass, so it's part of the loop, not outside of it.

Some loopers can be connected using midi to drum machines, particularly the Boss ones.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1457201531' post='2996342']
Some loopers can be connected using midi to drum machines, particularly the Boss ones.
[/quote]
(As far as boss pedals) only the RC50 will connect to other devices. The rc300 will connect to other rc300s, and the rc505 isn't a pedal.

I use the rc50 connected to a korg esx1 electribe, (and my board including midisynced delay, tremolo, and phaser) all syncs up fine.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1457206760' post='2996414']
(As far as boss pedals) only the RC50 will connect to other devices. The rc300 will connect to other rc300s, and the rc505 isn't a pedal.

I use the rc50 connected to a korg esx1 electribe, (and my board including midisynced delay, tremolo, and phaser) all syncs up fine.
[/quote]

I knew one did, I use TC gear.