Why become a member? ×

Buzzing G string

CletePurcel

If the shop isn't too much help try here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277468-bcers-prepared-to-help-fix-a-bass/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277468-bcers-prepared-to-help-fix-a-bass/[/url] for someone local to you. Be nice to see this new initiative getting used :)

[quote name='CletePurcel' timestamp='1457276627' post='2996936']
Thanks for the help.

It does/didn't buzz when I played open or at last fret.

The neck is slightly concave which I guess is what it should be.

It is a bit colder in the room today - could it be temperature related?
[/quote]

Ok well it does sound like fret buzz then.

Yes it should be slightly concave. How concave depends on a number of factors such as string guage, playing style etc.

Yes temperature will have an effect. An instrument will quite often go out of tune when taken from a warm place to a cold place and vice-versa due to materials expanding/contracting. When I get to a gig I like to get my bass out of the case to aclimatize while we set the gear up.

I would recomend getting it set up properly by someone who knows what they are doing. You shouldn't need the G string higher than the others to stop fret buzz. Its not a situation I could live or play with. A pro will sort this easilly or tell you if there is some other problem causing it.