Why become a member? ×

Regarding Warming Up

probablypike

I've been practicing for longer periods of tine in one go than usual recently, and although I warm up by stretching my hands and slow fretboard work, my hands have still been aching more than usual. Not cramping up, just a gentle ache in my wrist.

Do you guys find that bo matter how much you warm up, you still reach a point of aching? Have you ever had serious problems like RSI/CTS even after warming up?

Looking forward to your replies.

Alex

'Warm-up' or not, too much is too much. Maybe more frequent/longer rests between sessions..? If it hurts, stop, or risk losing much more than you've gained. Break the sessions up, and change activity between them, I'd say.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1457175072' post='2995988']
'Warm-up' or not, too much is too much. Maybe more frequent/longer rests between sessions..? If it hurts, stop, or risk losing much more than you've gained. Break the sessions up, and change activity between them, I'd say.
[/quote]

+1 to this. I'd also consider if your technique is questionable. You say your wrist aches. Do you play with a bent wrist ? If so, this could be a contributing factor.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll have to start using a timer so I don't lose track of time, and give my hands a rest.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1457271659' post='2996880']
+1 to this. I'd also consider if your technique is questionable. You say your wrist aches. Do you play with a bent wrist ? If so, this could be a contributing factor.
[/quote]

The left hand technique was my first thought, too, but I honestly don't think I can get my wrist any straighter without it having a negative impact on my ability to fret.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1457259955' post='2996718']
All the above and I find a sports sweat band around my wrist helps.
[/quote]

Sounds good! I'll have to get a [url="http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/Nq0AAOxyY3ZRoLTs/$(KGrHqYOKpMFGUYQoLTiBRoLTsV0)g~~60_1.JPG"]headband[/url] too.

Edited by probablypike