Why become a member? ×

Double Albums That Work and the One That Don't

spectoremg

Agreed on The Who, i think The Who Sell Out would have been even better had they released the extras as a double album

I switched off Exile In Main Street after a while, couldn't get into it. This was years back mind you, will have to revist it. What are your thoughts on this album? I prefer Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed personally

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1457119623' post='2995639']
[b]Works:[/b] the soundtrack album for Star Wars. Not Star Wars A New Hope... STAR WARS...
But that's another thread entirely.[/quote]

Good grief, yes! How could I forget one of my faves :)
And yes, another thread entirely.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1457115087' post='2995565']
most double albums would've been a lot better as a single one, to quote the Clash, cut the crap and they should've
[/quote]
And lets not mention triple albums **cough** Sandanista? **cough***...

I've always had a soft spot for The Wall, Quadrophenia and Husker Du's Zen Arcade (maybe doubles work better as concept albums? A whole other discussion, perhaps?). My favourite has to be Eels - Blinking Lights and other Revelations, though even I can accept that there are a couple of fillers on there. Other faves include Prince - Sign 'O' The Times, Led Zepp's Physical Graffiti, and NIN's The Fragile. On the other side of the fence, I'd put Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol II, Springsteen's The River. Neither of them are bad albums, but they could have been exemplary had they had the nuts to drop a few of the weaker tracks and stick to one platter

One that works, The Wall. A friggin masterpiece all the way through.

One that doesn't, Stadium Arcadium, RHCP, as stated earlier, genuinely barely enough tracks to form a decent EP. Dreadful album by one of my fave bands.

Rubin got it right with Slayer's Reign in Blood. About 27 minutes. Perfection, just listen to it twice (or four times as if it were a double)!

On topic though, ones that spring to mind as very good (albeit not perfect) are Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie, BT - These Hopeful Machines, Dream Theater - SDoIT, Swans - The Seer, Ayreon - The Human Equation.

This is hard.

Edited by progben

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1457116278' post='2995586']
Focus III - works, apart from the bass solo which is so low you can't hear it, and isn't much cop if you turn it up.
[/quote]

That bass solo was what got me into bass playing.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1457132430' post='2995789']
That bass solo was what got me into bass playing.
[/quote]

You knew you could do better?

It improves slowly as it goes along, but the first three or four minutes as he seems to be tuning up are dead ropey.

The Manics debut, Generation Terrorists. Their up to that point had been edgy, punky and sleazy, then comes this much-anticipated double album of soft rock/second rate hair metal :(

There were several gems but overall, it sorely disappointed this teenage RR

YMMV

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1457117782' post='2995602']
The Guns & Roses Use Your Illusion, double, double album farce takes the wooden spoon... they could have made a legendary single album, and a worthy successor to Appetite... but no.
[/quote]

One of the greatest puzzles in the world that, why oh why did they just not do yet another cracking single album? There were plenty enough great songs spread over the two Illusion albums to make just one amazing album.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1457115087' post='2995565']
most double albums would've been a lot better as a single one, to quote the Clash, cut the crap and they should've
[/quote]

Reading Joe Strummer's biography recently the general consensus seemed to be if they had cut the crap from the "Cut the Crap" album they wouldn't have released a single track from it!

I can't do Sandanista at all and I think London Calling could have been better as two separate releases with a bit of time in between releases so as to take out the weaker songs

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1457181807' post='2996080']
Reading Joe Strummer's biography recently the general consensus seemed to be if they had cut the crap from the "Cut the Crap" album they wouldn't have released a single track from it!

I can't do Sandanista at all and I think London Calling could have been better as two separate releases with a bit of time in between releases so as to take out the weaker songs
[/quote]there was one decent track on cut the crap, This is England, but that was about it, I think your comment about London Calling could apply to almost every double album, discounting Lives and compilations

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1457177414' post='2996015']

One of the greatest puzzles in the world that, why oh why did they just not do yet another cracking single album? There were plenty enough great songs spread over the two Illusion albums to make just one amazing album.
[/quote]

Little challenge for you Lozz, compile me the best 12 tracks from Use Your Illusion 1&2 so it forms the amazing single album you describe (in your opinion). I've never bothered with it as the sheer size of both albums puts me off. Actually that could become a whole thread: 'Create your ultimate single album from a patchy double/triple album'!

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1457188892' post='2996161']
Little challenge for you Lozz, compile me the best 12 tracks from Use Your Illusion 1&2 so it forms the amazing single album you describe (in your opinion). I've never bothered with it as the sheer size of both albums puts me off. Actually that could become a whole thread: 'Create your ultimate single album from a patchy double/triple album'!
[/quote]Start that thread!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1457134541' post='2995801']
Focus III bass solo

It improves slowly as it goes along, but the first three or four minutes as he seems to be tuning up are dead ropey.
[/quote]

No no no not all, I love the way it starts off tentatively and builds, class act..and how could I have forgotten that album, its still on regular rotation i the car :). My dad still wonders where it went ( I snaffled it age 13 lol)

Edited by Oopsdabassist

Soundgarden - Superunknown. Got it on the day in came out, on clear vinyl no less! All good.

Two other favourites of mine have already been mentioned. Chilli Peppers - BSSM and Prince - Sign O The Times. Come to think of it I bought those two on their release dates too.

Remember getting home from the record store and the feeling of "wow this is a lot of music!"?