Why become a member? ×

Great basses you don't click with

LukeFRC

Warwick Corvette (German-made).

Fantastic bass and I [i]loved[/i] the tone A very light, resonant and well put together instrument. But... the string spacing was just a touch too narrow for me at 16.5mm. I persevered with it for over a year, but ended up part-exing for something with wider spacing, which I'm now very comfy with.

I still have another Warwick, but it's a fretless and for some reason the narrower spacing doesn't bother me so much on that. Which is a bit odd, I know :huh:

Dare I say it, perhaps more innovation on the 4003 (I realise they did it on other models) and some modern tweaks could make the 4003 an even bigger hit for Ric.

I know its a tried and tested classic design, but I sometimes think if they just went all out and made a modern 4003 with bulletproof quality and tweaks to make it comfortable, they could do extremely well. I'm talking things like truss rod wheel at the end of the neck and just go for a normal truss rod, sort the pickup surround out, less fussy paint and binding, same pickups and elecs, same style but some contouring to let it fit to the body better even at the expense of some binding, offer a few new colours, hike the price, address the cramped string/neck feel, address the neck shape.

Basically, make it sound exactly the same, look almost the same, but make it easier to use!

Another vote for the Fender Jazz, but going slightly more specific: I've never got on with fretted Jazzes. My fretless Jazz, I'm really quite pleased with (though I'll probably trade it in for a Tony Franklin when the finances allow!), but I've tried a few fretted Jazz basses - even borrowed an original '60s one for a gig in Germany - and I just can't see myself ever wanting to buy one.

I think the problem is that I usually solo the neck pickup and expect it to sound like a Precision, but it never has quite the right "bark" to it. So it's probably my own fault for expecting it to sound like a Precision!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1457087521' post='2995118']
Dare I say it, perhaps more innovation on the 4003 (I realise they did it on other models) and some modern tweaks could make the 4003 an even bigger hit for Ric.

I know its a tried and tested classic design, but I sometimes think if they just went all out and made a modern 4003 with bulletproof quality and tweaks to make it comfortable, they could do extremely well. I'm talking things like truss rod wheel at the end of the neck and just go for a normal truss rod, sort the pickup surround out, less fussy paint and binding, same pickups and elecs, same style but some contouring to let it fit to the body better even at the expense of some binding, offer a few new colours, hike the price, address the cramped string/neck feel, address the neck shape.

Basically, make it sound exactly the same, look almost the same, but make it easier to use!
[/quote]

Problem Ric have is that they make so few instruments, they struggle to supply the demand of just the classic stuff. Very much doubt we'll ever see much 'modern innovation' from Ric. Kinda get what you mean tho

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1457087521' post='2995118']

[/quote]

Hallelujah! I was going to post much the same thing but couldn't be arsed to type out everything that needs changing. Thanks!!

The Acg Finn 4 custom that I recently moved on. In theory a great bass but for me the filter preamp was hard to setup right and had a certain sound which for me didn't work.
The very asymmetric neck really didn't work for me I like to pivot my thumb a lot in various ways and sometimes it would make the neck thinner or much fatter in depth felt odd.
A great bass indeed not for my hands or ears. Sounded good when the new owner played it however.

Really put me off asymmetric necks and will avoid them in future. The filter based pre amp well maybe if I spent more time with it I would of got it. So it was a good learning experience no regrets there.

Ric are having a bad day in this thread.

I'm sadly gonna add to it and say I've had three separate rics and none worked for me. 2x4003's, one fretless and one fretted; also a 4004 in red finish.

Love the look, love the sound when the bridge pup is wound down but the playing position just ain't comfy on the 4003 without U-bend surgery and the truss rod on the 4004 was pathetic in that it didn't do anything; quite ridiculous really for £1800 of bass.

Might plough the ric field again some day but it's a while away yet.

Also warwick thumb basses, the first fret top string feels as if I'm stretching too far to play it.
Shame as they look pretty cool.

Sorry....but....

for me it's the good old Precision!

I've bought and sold a few, and really tried to get on with them. Even recorded the band's last EP with one, as I always read that you can't beat the sound of a P in the studio. Thought I'd try being a 'normal' bassist for once.

It did sound OK, but they just feel wrong to me - I find the body and neck way too awkward for my tastes. Bit like holding a large plank!

The odd thing, I am at my most comfy on a Ricky...but I would opt for an older 4001 against a newer 4003 (although YMMV)....and I've tried a good few of those, too. Funny where we end up! :)

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1457103832' post='2995403']
Really put me off asymmetric necks and will avoid them in future.
[/quote]

I think some techniques suit asymmetric necks and some don't, and yours is obviously in the "don't" camp.

I'm very happy with my asymmetric-necked Sei, but I tried one of Alan's ACG guitars with an asymmetric neck and didn't get on with it at all, probably because I'm mainly an acoustic guitar player and make occasional use of my thumb over the top which just doesn't work with an asymmetric neck.

Dingwall Combustion. Absolute dream to play, probably the fastest neck I had. Couldn't get it to make an acceptable noise in a band setting, did very badly at an audition using it, until the drummer said 'whats in that bag' - 'Oh I brought a hohner b2 as a spare' - 'well, give it a try' - 'oh that sounds great'.

Having a trouble with the neck of my ACG (its up here at the moment), not so much the asymmetric I don't think, just the sheer size of it.

P-Basses. Can't get on with them at all.

For me it's Stingrays. I absolutely love the sound of them when other people play them but hated my old 3 band, could not get it to cut in a live setting, was all boom and clank. Recently saw a band in Oxford where the bassist was using a SUB and it was again a bit indistinct and boomy.

However, I am once again dipping my toe into Stingray infested waters! I think they're just very sensitive to EQ'ing and I think last time, I was less experienced, I just did what a lot of people do and maxed the bass and treble boosts on top of my amps EQ. Which obviously is quite extreme. I can make it work this time! Damn it! That tone is divine. :D

Edited by 40hz

another vote for Stingrays here, but I've never heard anybody else playing one that I liked either, maybe I've been unlucky.
Never got on with Jazz's either till recently I bought a VM squier, front pick up full on back full off cuts through he mix like a knife through butter, better than my P, to quote Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it"

Edited by PaulWarning

Wow this topic took off!
Reason for starting it is one of basses is an amazingamazing instrument - lovely to play ...
But with my technique it just doesn't get played.... If I play with a pick or slap or something I don't do it sounds great... Just not with my playing style it seems

Jazzes for me. I love the look of them, love the sound of them but I just can't get on with them. Always felt like I was playing somebody else's bass.

Also Warwick Thumb. I used to drool over them 25 years ago. A friend of a friend was selling an '89 last year so he lent it me for a few days. How disappointed was I. It felt awkward and uncomfortable with no redeeming features as far as I was concerned. I was so gutted 😟

3 for me:

Modulus Flea bass - lusted after one for years but found it a bit meh in both playability and sound

Musicman Stingray - I've had about 10 of the things but can't get a sound I like - and before anyone says anything it's a 2002 SR5 I currently have so it's more like a Sterling than a proper ray as it has the same ceramic pickup and electronics as the Sterling

Fender Jazz - Always wanted to like these as almost anyone famous I've heard using one gets a great sound but they sound a bit weak compared to other basses whenever I've used one. The only exception being an 80s Fernandes fretless I owned but that had EMGs

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1457168981' post='2995902']
Jazzes for me. I love the look of them, love the sound of them but I just can't get on with them. Always felt like I was playing somebody else's bass.

Also Warwick Thumb. I used to drool over them 25 years ago. A friend of a friend was selling an '89 last year so he lent it me for a few days. How disappointed was I. It felt awkward and uncomfortable with no redeeming features as far as I was concerned. I was so gutted
[/quote]

I can so relate to this - Thumbs were the ultimate aspiration when I was a kid, when I could finally afford one and plugged it in, what a letdown..... fiddly and incoherent - but that's just my playing ;)

I must add to my P-post.

Although I have struggled to find one to bond with, I'll never learn my lesson....and I hope that one day, there will be a P that's right for me. So I'm in the not clicked, but not fully deterred camp.

One listen to a piece of prime-JJ puts me in right back in the search......! :D