Why become a member? ×

in ear monitors...for pubs?!?

bassjim

ha ha!!......so my conclusions now are............ if any idividual that has problems hearing themselves, which in turn results in a volume problem on stage of any kind, ie:they regularly turn themselves up too much to the point its an ongoing concern, would do well to use them.
Any individual that has concerns over hearing lost can still get "ear defenders" approx £200.00 a pop or opt for IEM.
That idividual would have to be responsible for obtaining all the lar dee dah bits n bobs that go with them that make it work and maintaining them.
As its not a unanimous decision in my band to all have them, any one using them still needs to bring an amp/monitor so that the rest of the band can still hear them on stage.
If the whole band are to use them then ideally, in order for it to work as efficiently as a competent band that dont use them, (for average pub gig) you need something of the top end of the market PA system.
Would that be a fair "overall" and "general" understanding?

I really should go back to using my IEMs - I started to find that the lack of time to miceverytign up for monitoring only (pub band, vocal only PA) prevented getting a really good mix but usually the backing vocal mics put enough guitars in my mix to work from. I use a stereo unit with a 'blend' adding as much bass as I want to a vocal only feed from the desk. It's a bit odd being so isolated from everything in a pub but you get used to it. I have a couple of AKG PP416 mics that I keep threatening to use as ambients and feed them into my monitor mix. Perhaps I will give it a try at the next suitable gig.

Edited by DaytonaRik

I love my IEMs but for your case I'd suggest you don't want them based on your first post.

You need to run everything through the PA (including drums) and you need a desk with enough sends for each band member for IEMs to be worth it. And (in my opinion) you need a good sound guy dedicated to running the desk.

If you're already running everything through the PA and fancy sharing the details of your PA setup (speakers, desk, what you normally run through PA) I'll happily tell you if I reckon IEMs are appropriate.

Hugh

[quote name='Hugh971' timestamp='1457370920' post='2997877']...
You need to run everything through the PA (including drums) and you need a desk with enough sends for each band member for IEMs to be worth it. And (in my opinion) you need a good sound guy dedicated to running the desk...
[/quote]

Whilst this is probably the ideal set-up, there are other, more modest configurations which can be successful, albeit with some compromise on occasion, such as 'sharing' a feed among players (as one does with 'old school' foldback very often...), or using an ambient mic to pick up instruments not going through the PA.
Just sayin'.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1457025383' post='2994606']
@Bassjim: Not argumentative. Our current PA speakers are 8" ones and struggle to do justice to the bass sound. We are going to move to bigger PA speakers, don't know which size yet but NOT a four speaker system as that would be as pointless as you suggest. We are working to minimise the size of our kit in every way.

Link for the G4M IEMs. £120 for kit and 3 receivers.
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Wireless-In-Ear-Monitor-System-Pack-by-Gear4music-3-Receivers/164T"]http://www.gear4musi...-Receivers/164T[/url]
[/quote]

Really interested in these mate. Do you put everything through them ? I know you're still carrying back line till you up your PA but do these things cope ok with kick drum and your bass ? We have enough PA not to carry back line if we went in ear but obviously they'd need to work with everything in the mix then.

cheers

Les

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1457395265' post='2998186']
Really interested in these mate. Do you put everything through them ? I know you're still carrying back line till you up your PA but do these things cope ok with kick drum and your bass ? We have enough PA not to carry back line if we went in ear but obviously they'd need to work with everything in the mix then.

cheers

Les
[/quote]

You would need to get decent earbuds as the ones they come with are a bit cheap and nasty, but once you have done that they'd take anything you throw at them. They are basically ipods, the hardware sends the signal and the headphones determine the quality.

In terms of gear I prefer to use wired monitors, it's one less thing to go wrong.

I use [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MA400-Monitor-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000KUCQXY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457428254&sr=8-2&keywords=behringer+headphone+amp"]this headphone amp[/url] with a headphone extension and [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-SE215-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B004U9NH3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457428292&sr=8-1&keywords=sure+se215"]Shure SE215 earbuds[/url].

It's a lot cheaper than a wireless system and a lot less prone to problems (such as interference / noise).

Those Shure earbuds do block out a lot of sound though so you need to be running everything through the desk. If you don't run drums through you won't hear them, which you don't want.

Hugh

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1457422813' post='2998238']
You would need to get decent earbuds as the ones they come with are a bit cheap and nasty, but once you have done that they'd take anything you throw at them. They are basically ipods, the hardware sends the signal and the headphones determine the quality.
[/quote]

Much obliged, think I'm going to pull the trigger on them

[quote name='Hugh971' timestamp='1457428424' post='2998303']
In terms of gear I prefer to use wired monitors, it's one less thing to go wrong.

Hugh
[/quote]

Wired would be no good to us. The guitars are all wireless and we run along the tables.

• 2 weeks later...

[url="http://tinypic.com/r/8x4xmb/9"]Playing a pub with inears...[/url] (all band members were on inears) Apologies to those offended by the LEDs. Apologies for the Day Tripper musical joke in the baseline... Just general apologies.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1458213855' post='3005600']
[url="http://tinypic.com/r/8x4xmb/9"]Playing a pub with inears...[/url] (all band members were on inears) Apologies to those offended by the LEDs. Apologies for the Day Tripper musical joke in the baseline... Just general apologies.
[/quote]

Never apologise for LEDs, they are always cool. The next step will be to have in-ears with LEDs. That would be super-cool!

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458218484' post='3005684']
Never apologise for LEDs, they are always cool. The next step will be to have in-ears with LEDs. That would be super-cool!
[/quote]
Ha - there are as many people who would disagree about LEDs being cool! :P

I don't think even I would go as far as IEMs with LEDs though!

• 6 months later...

Not sure if I should start a new thread here but this one seems to address many of the questions I have..

Our band are currently considering going with either IEMs or ACS Pro17 moulded plugs.

Lead singer/guitarist is struggling with his tinitus, so much that he cancelled band practices until he can get some decent hearing protection sorted. My own tinitus is ever present but at the moment is something I can live with but nevertheless needs addressing.

I use ACS pacatos at practices but go without at gigs as I can't hear my BVs properly with them in. He can't get used to/hates any of the cheaper unmoulded plugs( he's never tried the moulded ones, neither have I).

We are a loud grunge/alt rock three piece. Good PA system which everything goes through to a certain level depending on venue. Loud backline and monitors to keep up with a very loud drummer.

We don't gig enough/earn enough from gigs to justify expensive IEMs but the LD ones linked to earlier in this thread are similar price to custom moulded plugs although we would have to add in upgraded ear buds from what I have read.

For practices we could use a cheap headphone amp and phones but gigs need to be addressed also.

Are the cheep IEM systems reliable? Has anyone gigged with the moulded plugs?

Experiences/ opinions welcome!

Me and our guitarist have just gone IEM

We both use the LD systems MEI1000 and shure 315 plugs, it's an absolute revelation and the sound is so much clearer
They handle the kick drum and bass fine, although take a bit of getting used to especially if singing as you can hear yourself in your head

However it is worth spending the extra to get the MEI1000, we trialled the cheaper MEI100 and it had a constant hiss to it

Edited by scoobystig

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1475881377' post='3149564']
To all using IEM's. Who is balancing the FOH throughout the gig while you're wearing them?
[/quote]

Who is balancing FOH from behind the PA when your not wearing them ?

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1475836355' post='3149067']

Are the cheep IEM systems reliable? Has anyone gigged with the moulded plugs?

[/quote]

For most of this year's gigs for one band- and we usually play very small pubs - I've been using the entry level T-Bone IEM system from Thomann , coupled with Shure SE215 buds. It isn't Hi-Fi but it works well enough for me to not consider upgrading. Drummer and singer use my transmitter and have receiver packs, guitarist liked it so much he bought his own Sennheiser unit but is always fiddling with it and seems to have problems!

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1475882606' post='3149573']
Who is balancing FOH from behind the PA when your not wearing them ?
[/quote]

That's not an answer.

You can always hear the PA, even from behind it. When you're using IEM's you're shut off from all of the FOH so how do you maintain a balance out front through out the gig?

I'm asking the question because maybe the guys using IEM's have solved what to me seems like a show stopper, unless you have a sound man. I've not been in many bands that were able to maintain a balance using backline, but you can hear when the band and volume is going out of balance, but how do you address this with no backline and when you're cut off from the PA using IEM's.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1475921229' post='3149743']

That's not an answer.

You can always hear the PA, even from behind it. When you're using IEM's you're shut off from all of the FOH so how do you maintain a balance out front through out the gig?

I'm asking the question because maybe the guys using IEM's have solved what to me seems like a show stopper, unless you have a sound man. I've not been in many bands that were able to maintain a balance using backline, but you can hear when the band and volume is going out of balance, but how do you address this with no backline and when you're cut off from the PA using IEM's.
[/quote]

I wouldn't adjust the pa from the stage whether I use iems or not. If you have a monitor wedge in front of you then you're not hearing what the audience hears so any adjustment to pa is going to be mostly guess work. We do a decent sound check before the gig and don't adjust it. On gigs where I use iems the process is exactly the same. I don't put my in ears in until after soundcheck. If at any point there was a problem with the foh sound I'd have to go out front to fix it regardless of whether using iems or not and if using them I'd just pop them out to hear what's going on out front.