Why become a member? ×

6 string fretless

tempo

I've been toying with the idea of getting a fretless recently, but as I predominantly play a 7, didn't really wanna go for a 4 string just out of financial necessity. My Hohner 6 hasn't had any playtime since I got the Conklin, so I bit the bullet and de-fretted it this evening.
Took about 45 mins to get the frets out, and spent a further 10 sanding it down. Not the finished article yet, I'm gonna fill in the fret slots, not sure what with yet.

Any advice/comments welcome.

Pete.

You can get a huge range of marquetry veneers on the Bay, usually very cheap too. So you could get a matching or a contrasting wood. Most veneers prove to be a nice reasonably snug fit too (but not so snug that you have to hammer 'em in).
You'll need to file down the nut slots a bit too.
Are you going to put a sealing finish on the board to harden it up a bit? I've heard that repeated applications of danish oil are pretty good (think it was bt68 who passed that one on..?).

Well I've just filled the slots with some "plastic wood" from the hardware shop. got to wait a few hours before sanding again. Don't think I will be coating the board as it's not gonna get a huge amount of use. But then again if I notice too much wear...
Ive filed the nut slots down a bit, will prob get them down even further, as the set up is done.

[quote name='guyl' post='30635' date='Jul 12 2007, 11:31 AM']Don't worry if you don't gig your 6-fretless - it will be great for ironing on. Just be careful with the fret filler - might make a mess of your iron![/quote]

Lol, it would be great for sleeves & trouser legs!

Got the filler/sanding and polishing done. Took the fret slots down further and adjusted the action at the bridge. I'd never picked up a fretless before this, so was a bit of a shock. Absolutely loving it though, every bassist should have one. I don't know many fretless "lines" (Hey you, Teen town is about it), but loads of "normal" lines take on a different meaning, Rush's YYZ is a blast! :) :huh:
[attachment=1143:12072007072.jpg]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='30786' date='Jul 12 2007, 04:19 PM']Actually Teen Town was recorded on fretted bass.

Alex[/quote]

Never knew that! :) I was always under the impression Jaco played fretless pretty much exclusively.... We live and learn.