Why become a member? ×

Wal - Freebies - Macca

spectoremg

Yeah because he really needs the money and they can't possibly benefit from one of the most famous people on the planet publicising their gear.
How's your 50+ year multi million pound global music career going? :)

Edited by Dazed

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1456866388' post='2993117']
I think I read on here that Alembic made an exceptions to their 'no endorsements/freebies' policy for Stanley Clarke and Mark King. Did Wal do any kind of deal with Paul McCartney when he was using his 5-string?
[/quote]

The Wal website says McCartney paid for his bass ... [url="http://www.walbasses.co.uk/Our%20History"]http://www.walbasses.co.uk/Our%20History[/url]

Edited by EssentialTension

Lightheartedness seems to be in short supply on here recently.

I bet Macca's ownership of a Wal had much less impact on their sales than the fleet of 80's pop bass gods playing them.

I for one appreciated the tongue in cheek element of the 'paid him to stop' comment, even as an appreciator of McCartney.

Bloody Internet.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1456877248' post='2993240']

I bet Macca's ownership of a Wal had much less impact on their sales than the fleet of 80's pop bass gods playing them.

[/quote]

Yep, at the time of Wal's ascendency Macca was not really considered an iconic bassist in the way players like Mick Karn were. Funny thing is that those 80's Wal playing popsters probably set the vibe for Wal in the same way as Geddy Lee and Chris Squire did for Ricks, and both brands still suffer from being too strongly associated with a specific sound. Macca of course played both Wals and Ricks and sounded nothing like 80's popsters or 70 prog rockers. He probably did both brands a lot of good.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1456877248' post='2993240']
Lightheartedness seems to be in short supply on here recently.
[/quote]

Yeah, people worrying because I called a stereotypical, not funny, and heard it a thousand times before comment 'totally stupid'.

It's fair comment on my part so lighten up.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1456908529' post='2993337']
Of course Wal now have me flying the flag for the marque and all the prestige that bestows... :mellow:
[/quote]

They paid me a fortune to stop playing their basses.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1456872712' post='2993192']
I'm pretty sure I read that Linda bought it for him
[/quote]
True , I remember seeing the documentary for his 90s album "Flowers In The Dirt" . He said that he and Linda saw it in a music shop window in London and liked the look of it and being curious about the 5 string. Linda bought it him for his birthday, after all he'd be too tight to buy it for himself!
btw, check out his low B action on Distraction off that album Its actually a really lovely song and his bass playing is inspiring as always.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GoJJIdKBTo

McCartney isn't one of my heroes. Why would anyone get so defensive of him though? He doesn't care what I think, why would you? Think what you like, it made me chuckle. Oh, and my music career is just fine thanks :gas:

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1456866388' post='2993117']
I think I read on here that Alembic made an exceptions to their 'no endorsements/freebies' policy for Stanley Clarke and Mark King. Did Wal do any kind of deal with Paul McCartney when he was using his 5-string?
[/quote]

Remember though, SC (unsure about MK) used and paid for his Alembics throughout his career - the only freebie he received was a special commerative model a few years back. It was never a standard endorsement deal - he played them because he wanted to.
It's the same with Sadowsky. Jason Newsted received a freebie after ordering his 8th or something :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456908617' post='2993338']

Yeah, people worrying because I called a stereotypical, not funny, and heard it a thousand times before comment 'totally stupid'.

It's fair comment on my part so lighten up.
[/quote]

I wasn't worrying. And I found it funny. As did a few others.

so, you know, lighten up...