Why become a member? ×

Wal MkII 5-string(s)...

[quote name='moooper' timestamp='1461235133' post='3032669']
The Wal is back up on eBay!! This just feels dodgy
[/quote]

Here's the new listing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wal-5-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-1990-/152061851581

...and the weird neck pickup alignment thing still going on. Surely that's not a misplaced nut, as someone suggested...

Edited by lowregisterhead

The same seller also has this for sale:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rolex-submariner-/152063977746?hash=item2367b82912:g:6pwAAOSwXj5XGiDA"]http://www.ebay.co.u...pwAAOSwXj5XGiDA[/url]

Wals and Rolex's do go together...

Edited by roman_sub

I'm no expert, but even a cursory comparison of pictures of a genuine Rolex Submariner and the one the seller is offering show some substantial discrepancies... I'm not saying it's a fake, but the overall impression is not good. It poses the question - would you buy a used Wal from this man?

Hmm,

Not in great nic, that Wal, certainly not at the new Buy it Now price!

Strings over neck pickup do look odd, you can certainly see that the nut has shifted, but only by a little. Could be a trick of the camera, but this is certainly a bass to see any play before handing over a penny.

Edited by Kev

I thought I'd ask a couple of similar questions, plus a vague technical one to see if he has the faintest idea about basses.

Me: [i]"Hi -- I have a couple of questions.
1. The polepiece alignment looks a bit odd on the neck pickup. All the other Wal 5 strings I've seen have been fine, do you know why this one is different?
2. I'm very interested in this instrument [/i]<yeah, right> [i]but obviously I'd want to see it first. Can I inspect it?
3. What's the action like?
Thanks." [/i]

His reply: [i]"Hi thanks for your questions, the bass is fine maybe is the way you look the photo but the bass is perfect of course you can inspect it if you want but I don't know if you know the Wal bass guitar! Are made really well with amazing wood the oddness you are talking about can't happen in these guitar. Nothing wrong with it at all.is super amazing bass guitar 👍🏾" [/i]

Total vagueness, borderline illiteracy and completely dodged the action question. So I pursued it.

[i]"OK thanks. It does look lovely. Have you had it long? What's the actual action in terms of millimetres?" [/i]

No reply yet. I expect he's googling 'action' to get an idea of the sort of number I'd be expecting.
This all smells worse than a dead sperm whale in a heatwave.

And his reply: [i]"I have been playing it for 10 yrs olive this bass guitar, is super,[/i]

So I said: [i]"OK, thanks (not sure what you mean by olive though). Yes I do know about Wal basses, I have owned a 4 string one since 1986. Can you please tell me what the action is?
thanks"[/i]

He's come back with: [i]"Sorry olive was typing mistake, what do you mean action ?"[/i]

Oh dear. I've replied: [i]"You've been a bassist for 10 years and you don't know what the action refers to..?"[/i]

Reply: [i]"I don't have to know that to be a bassist don't be narrow minded bro, the bass is here you can do any checks is you wish but only if you intend to buy it. Thanks"[/i]

Yeah right. If he's the legal owner of this bass, I'm a jar of marmalade.

Aww bless, he's back and has obviously looked up 'action' on wikipedia: [i]"That is very minor to me to pay attention to the that bass is professional bass not £200 bass the action was set since was new and I don't have to fiddle with it too much I'm very happy the way strings are on the bass, not too height or too low from the frets"[/i]

EDIT. And there's more, and this is a cracker: [i]"The question you are asking me is unnecessary question you can check on Wal website the Mk II bass what is the number of the action I don't have time for that bro, sorry about this"[/i]

Oh yes, we have a winner :lol:

I've just replied with: [i]"Fair enough 'bro', if you can't be bothered then neither can I. Good luck with the sale."[/i]