Why become a member? ×

Identify my wood

Bastav

I went to the flea market today and picked up a set of used thomastik spirocore upright bass strings and a piece of hardwood in the form of a primitive cd shelf. It looks kind of cool, will probably try using it for some neck laminates but I have no idea what it is, thought one of you might know?

Any ideas?

Ps. sorry if this is the wrong forum for this sort of thing :unsure:

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1456962822' post='2994148']
Wood can vary considerably in grain, colouration, density and imperfections within the same plank let alone between species.

To me it looks like one of the many species sold as "Mahogany". That's based on colour and grain - no idea about the species unfortunately.

[/quote]I'd go with this, I've seen a lot of sapele and meranti sold as 'mahogany' and the truth is that they cut down a lot of forest trees without anyone identifying them and mixed woods can end up in the same batches in the worst cases. A lot of tropical hardwoods have a reddish colour and this sort of grain, which depends as much on how the timber is cut and the growing conditions as which species. My experience of a good timber yard is that they will help you identify stuff even if they haven't sold it to you. Even then they may not be completely accurate, tropical forests contain an awful lot of species!