Why become a member? ×

"Classic" songs that are used for adverts

TheGreek

Don't mind - exposure is exposure. Taking the term "classic" to extremes - my wife runs an opera night and lots of people say they don't know any opera but they hear stuff and say "oh yeah, that's off the Durex advert" or whatever. I've discovered bands because of adverts and film soundtracks, it's all grist for the mill.

I don't like this whole "selling out" argument (which is where I suspect this thread may go so I thought I'd get in early) - smacks of jealousy to me. If someone wants to use one of our songs for an advert (as long as it's not something we disagree with) then have at it. Anyone who wants to tell me I've "sold out" can go ahead, but they don't have their music on the telly, do they?

It's not exactly Rock n' Roll rebellion but it doesn't normally bother me.

Hearing Eddie Grant's anti apartheid anthem 'Gimme hope Jo'anna' redone as 'Gimme Yop me Mamma' for a yoghurt drink commercial was a bit of a low point though.

I'd guess that a lot of the original performers & writers don't have any control over how their music is used & some of them are probably grateful for the additional revenue.

Edited by Cato

I subscribe to theory that once a song has been released, it has been RELEASED. Meaning it is out there and, provided a user pays their dues for it, it can be used. Like Neephid, I don't buy into "selling out". By definition, all commercial musicians are selling and those who aren't selling are, on the whole, probably quite hungry.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1456781684' post='2992302']
If a song is to be used to sell a third party product then I think the song writer should have control over its use.
[/quote]

That's fine as far as it goes, but what about the artist/s whose performance of the song is used? Don't they get a say? What if there are multiple authors of a song and some want it to be used and others don't? Does a song writer who still lives opinion count more than the inheritor/s of his/her deceased writing partner?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1456780283' post='2992279']
Some advert songs are classics too. I'd still headbang to the Shake n Vac!
[/quote]

Nuclear Assault did a great metal version of that on an EP once

Edited by bonzodog

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1456855842' post='2992940']
I think many on here would be quite happy to have the exposure of an advert to get their songs heard, Caniston / Anisol give me a call I am sure we could do a deal :yarr:
[/quote]

Yup. I'll happily take the Bodyform account.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456784167' post='2992332'] What if there are multiple authors of a song and some want it to be used and others don't? [/quote]

Exactly the situation John Densmore, Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger found themselves in. Densmore vetoed a $15m deal for Cadillac to use "Break On Through (To The Other Side)" in an ad. The other two took him to court. Some lawyers got very rich.

I don't consider it 'selling out', to have your music used in an advert.

There are things that I wouldn't be happy it used to advertise though. I've heard the song 'Sonny' used in an ad for some loan company.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1456859908' post='2993003']
I liked the country & western version of Ace of Spades that Lemmy did in an ad.
[/quote]
I liked it too, but I'd hardly call it Country & Western!

My own choice would be When Bank's used "Bad to the Bone" for one of their ads. Unfortunately it seems it was the only decent thing George Thorogood ever did.

Violent Femmes broke up in 2008 when Gordon Gano agreed to use the song Blister in the sun in a Wendy's burger advert.
Brian Ritchie sued Gordon Gano as he didn't agree with the use of their music in this advert and lead to the break up of the bad.

BTW I don't think Nuclear Assault covered Shake N Vac