Why become a member? ×

Shouldn't have sold my bass.

alembic1989

Back in the 80's, I sold a Shaftesbury Rick copy. Gorgeous bass, but it needed a re-fret, which was expensive to me at that time
Regretted not getting the work done. Years later, I searched high & low for one..... and eventually got one, even better than my 1st one :) Result!

Had a Squier Classic Vibe 60's P bass recently. Loved it, but sold it cos I had too many basses
Instant regret, which I tried to live with.... but couldn't - so Bought another one, and had it converted to a P/J which makes it even better

All in all, 2 great results for me - but alas, I really still have too many basses :)
Now if only I could find my first proper bass - an early 70's Fender musicmaster..... ;)

EDIT: I also put a new neck on a broken Matsumoko Japan built P bass copy, and loved it as soon as I'd set it up
Sold it the same day I advertised it, and instantly regretted it. It sounded, felt & looked rather cool
and now it appears the buyer may want to sell it on - do I buy it back? lol

Edited by Marc S

Only sold a few things and they were all low grade so meh...
3 of the were Aria Pro 2 (4 string, 4 string fretless and 5 string) and the other was a fretless mexican jazz which I hated.

I've not sold anything actually "good" yet, but I am missing a fretless at the minute, a problem I'll remedy in about 2 weeks.

I parted with my USA sub musicman 5 string and shouldn't have. Ballsy thick massive sounding bass and comfy to play.

It knocked spots off every other MM I've played since, including a rather expensive 25th anniversary HSS. I didn't know how good it was till i parted with it to apparently upgrade. How much of a non upgrade the full SR wasn't was incredible.

I know who owns it and it resides and plays about 8 miles from where I live.

But I'm over it ---- honestly.

• 1 month later...

Not sure I should reopen old wounds!

Fireglow 4001 Rickenbacker early 70s model, my first decent bass at age of 17 sold to buy a hifi system which has long since died!
Green Fender Precision early 70s. Not as nice as Jazzes I now own, but quite a valuable rarity now.
Aria SB1000 sold to fund my made to order WAL Custom back in early 80s excusable, but still miss this one.
Aria TSB 650 great short scale bass but not enough depth for me.

Don't get me started on amp/rigs!!!

I will sell any instrument if it is needed to fund a new one... Except for the 1961 (SG introduction year) Gibson SG Special guit. That belonged to my dad and is more then just a piece of wood with strings on.

There's two I wished I hadn't sold, but I know that if I still had them I wouldn't be playing them very much.

Firstly, my '84 Ibanez Blazer. Bought it off FlatEric for a pittance. Refinished it, played it to death and loved every minute of it. I genuinely still don't know why I sold it. I think maybe I needed cash at the time.

Secondly, my Yamaha RBXJM1. A really special instrument but I didn't know it at the time and traded it poorly.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1456751829' post='2991886']

Out of curiosity what did you trade it for?
[/quote]

Sorry mate I totally missed this. It wasn't a bad bass that I traded it for, but it really wasn't what I was looking for and I never bonded with it. A Warwick corvette standard. I knew as soon as I saw it that I didn't want to go ahead with the trade, but I stupidly felt guilty and didn't want to be uncool and mess the guy around.

I dearly miss a 79 Stingray that I got on here, it didn't have the original electrics but sounded sweet with a lovely neck. Also my first Lakland JO5 with Fralins...I've had two other JO's since and both didn't cut it. Also an Ibanez Musician I sold some months back, the bass was like lead aground my neck - heavy beast, but the tone was funky sweet....should have ate more spinach!

Also miss my first Limelight P with jazz width neck...t'was the bass to rekindle some precision love :(

Edited by Raslee

Two months earlier in this thread...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1456560702' post='2990228']
I sold a L2000 tribute a while back and I kinda wish I hadn't... It was a great bass and I could do with an active fretted four. Lots of bass for the money.
[/quote]

Since then, I bought another one and sold it again... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

There are many I wish I had again, but for each one there was a reason I sold them. I just remind myself frequently what the reason was to avoid kicking myself too hard. I think the only one I'd like back is the Peavey T-40, but I never really enjoyed playing it except live.

These posts read like a eulogies to lost basses, but hey, ultimately hasn’t everyone sold on gear because they have something better incoming?

I think that despite all the good ones and bad ones I’ve owned, the only one now that I’m kind of wishing that I hadn’t sold on was my Thunderbird NR reissue; while it played like a dream tonally it was a polar opposite to my other Thunderbirds. Plus, I had a Rickenbacker incoming. I know where the TB is (don’t I, Gus?)…maybe he’ll sell it back in a while.

I've sold 2 basses, with the intention of upgrading, and as I did do shortly afterwards there were no regrets.

I am considering others because of functional overlaps, and I imagine that way lies the potential for regret.

I bought a brand new US P bass in 09. Black and maple and fitted a black pickgaurd. Only used it for 1 gig down in a pub in Helensburgh then sold it on here. Cant remember the reason why but it was GAS more than likely. :(

I shouldn't have sold my first bass, a Hondo copy of a Gibson Explorer, bought through Friend A who got me into both bass and guitar. I think I was 18 when I sold it to Friend B, who promptly butchered the body in attempting to make it into a Steinberger! Ruined beyond recognition.

Within another year or so, Friend A (who I got it from) passed away at the tender age of 22 and then I really started to miss that bass. :(

Mine is a 1979 Ibanez roadster, dark version. I remember it being great and selling it to but my first jazz bass. I don't; know if that was rose tinted glasses because my best mate in my band is sadly no longer with us. Don't know if its nostalgia or if it was as good as I remember. I think Binky Bass has one - might be my old one!