Why become a member? ×

Shouldn't have sold my bass.

alembic1989

There are quite a few I've moved on and regretted at some point. Probably only two I'd buy back given the chance now though, a 2012 US Standard P bass in 3TS. It was light, resonant and beautifully finished. Just an awesome P bass. The other was another P bass; a 1996 Japanese Fender 50th anniversary model in shell pink. I'd put CTS pots in, a Custom Shop pickup and it had a tortie Bass Doc pickguard. It was simply the coolest bass I've owned.

• 5 months later...

A 1996 US Fender P bass i owned for 10 years and did hundreds of gigs on.

Best all round bass I ever owned, but got to be too heavy for me, and I had to part-ex it to afford a nice light Lull bass.

The P was on the shop's website for about three weeks afterwards, taunting me every time i visited. It was a relief when someone actually bought it to put me out of my misery.

Shame it had to go. We'd done a lot of gigs together.

I've sold a silly amount of basses over the years and only regretted one, a 1978 Music Man Sabre that I sold in 2006 when I got my first pre CBS Jazz, felt right at the time but in the long run the Sabre would have gone the distance. I still have recordings of it that taunt me!

So now that I've decided that I must let my Modulus go I'm also downsizing and will be letting go of my Ray 5HH to make way for a Sabre when I find one. I've been putting this off too long.

There's an advert in the items wanted section, fingers crossed.

I'm very lucky in that I'm unlikely to have space or money problems to force me to sell any of mine. I do feel a bit guilty about my two new GMRs, bought from Lucasz (of this parish) for prices which I told him were stupid, but he wouldn't take more. I'm sure he'll regret parting with them. But I adore them both and they're named in my will as going to my two musician sons.

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1464086603' post='3056387'] Westone Thunder 3. Had a few since but they weren't the same. Have a Thunder 2 MK2 now, which is exactly the same as a 3. Although, it's a great bass it still wanes in comparison. [/quote]Mine was a Thunder 1A. Heavy as hell and I probably could not play it now but I loved that bass. Had a one out, one in, policy from SWMBO at the time so.....

I have talked about how much I regretted selling my first ever bass, a Westone Raider I, on BassChat as nauseam. I miss it so, so much.

But, more recently, I have started regretting selling the second bass I ever owned. When I was sixteen I was given a Satellite P bass with a maple fretboard (I was originally going to buy it, but when he realised that it was going to someone that actually did play, he gave it to me for free). It played perfectly well and sounded fine. I don't suppose Satellite did a not quite so sh*tty line? Because the bloke that gave it to me was rather wealthy. It is still likely that he bought cheap to see if he would get into it (he didn't, which is how I ended up with it) but, like I say, there was nothing wrong with it. But, at the time, I couldn't imagine ever needing more than one bass so, a few months later, I sold it for £35.

Anyway, the reason I have started regretting it is because I really fancy a Steve Harris signature bass (in blue) and that Satellite bass would have been ideal to convert. I wouldn't, in a million years, be able to justify buying a proper Harris signature bass, and I can't even afford a cheapo bass to convert. I had a look at those cheap kits, which I think would be loads of fun to do (and probably end up Trigger's brooming it), but I can't find one with a maple fretboard.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1477583169' post='3163178']
BBNE2. But alas, I needed the money for something that I really wanted. Would still like the BBNE2 to be in my arsenal though :P (It was black though... and I favour it in white... hence I can live with it a bit easier!)
[/quote]

The white ones are beautiful creations. Scary prices new though.

Sold a stingray that I bought over 10 years ago. I wasn't playing it much and it was no longer my go-to bass. I wanted a modern jazz type bass and now I own a cracking Mayones Jabba 4. If I had the money again I still don't think I'd buy a stingray, kinda outgrew the sound of them but I still miss it being around. It was a tank of a bass. The biggest regret is selling my Warwick fretless corvette (German) it was beautiful but I couldn't justify having it. It just wasn't getting played at all and I wanted a Sandberg fretted bass. In hindsight I think I ended up with the 'correct' basses for me but they were cracking instruments.

• 1 year later...
On 27/10/2016 at 16:46, EBS_freak said:

BBNE2. But alas, I needed the money for something that I really wanted. Would still like the BBNE2 to be in my arsenal though :P (It was black though... and I favour it in white... hence I can live with it a bit easier!)

On 27/10/2016 at 19:09, M@23 said:

The white ones are beautiful creations. Scary prices new though.

You gents have great taste. I played one (in white) recently at the Yammy store in London and it blew me away.

On 3/28/2018 at 15:08, Frank Blank said:

I had a black Jaydee Supernatural that I traded way back in the late 80s or maybe early 90s and damn, I sure miss that bass.

I had one which I traded from Stratty only to sell it within a few weeks so that I could buy back a Custom Overwater....the buyer is a BCer who may be reading this...

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I had one which I traded from Stratty only to sell it within a few weeks so that I could buy back a Custom Overwater....the buyer is a BCer who may be reading this...

I have only ever seen one in black, although someone on here did mention trying one somewhere. I emailed Jaydee and asked them if they could build me a short scale Supernatural and they can. I’m going to see if the Chowny SWB Pro satisfies the Jaydee gap, so to speak, if not I might order a new one.

On 02/05/2016 at 19:43, basskit_case said:

I have sold loads, I regret selling my Nate Mendel the most, used in my one and an only gig. Lovely comfortable bass to play. I bought the squier 70's p bass to try and get a budget Nate Mendel.

Reunited and it feels so good....

I bought the Nate back last year.  It is Not leaving me again!