Why become a member? ×

To sell or not to sell that is the question

smurfitt

Don't ask me, I'm firmly in the "instruments should be played, if it's not getting play time, it's bye-bye time" camp.

I can't imagine that any modern instrument is going to skyrocket in value in a couple of years - is that when you think people will have cash to flash once more? ;)

I was pretty much in the same boat until a few weeks ago I'd just keep any instrument i'd bought , sling them up on wall's or leave in cases ... until I let the first one go , a guys son at work wants to start playing bass so i long term loaned one of my very old beaters ... which to be honest hasn't left the case in several years ...

I understand he's amazingly happy with it ... and as i'd set it up and upgraded it way beyond what he'd have gotten from your average squire .... He will not outgrow it until he's craving Fender on the headstock.

This opened the flood gates to the fact that i can get rid of gear without feeling terrible .
Cue 4-5 sales and I've funded my new Jazz and have a pile of cash ready to fund the next acquisition.

Tis a revalation.

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='smurfitt' timestamp='1456477541' post='2989347']
I have a fair few basses two of which I have never used and need a cull to make room for one I'm just about to buy. My Musicman Reflex in white HH 4 string MN has been kept in case since new and the range has been discontinued so I'm thinking do I sell it now or keep as an investment for a couple of yrs time?
[/quote]

I think you'll have to keep it in a case for a very long time for it to reach a value higher than what you paid for it if you're looking for an investment?

There is no guarantee it will be the same for MMs, but if it were a Fender you'd need to keep it for around 30 years to start seeing a return on it.

Edited by CamdenRob

I really can't see the reflex becoming an investment piece, so not worth holding on to it for that reason IMO.

For the prices to skyrocket there's got to be limited supply AND to have grabbed public awareness in some way. Otherwise it will only be a handful of MM enthusiasts who are in the know and that's probably not enough to drive the prices up.

For example, Wal basses were out of fashion and going for peanuts in the 90s, but they have a signature tone and a body of famous bands and recordings who have used them over the years, hence the revival.

Having said that, the HH Reflex is a FANTASTIC bass. I spent an hour with one at a music shop a couple of years ago and I was massively impressed. I would have gladly pulled the trigger but the RRP was out of my price range and there was no second hand availability.

I'm in the camp of "sell it if you're not using it" free up the money for better things and its good karma to give someone the opportunity to own this excellent instrument.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1456478113' post='2989354']
I think you'll have to keep it in a case for a very long time for it to reach a value higher than what you paid for it...
[/quote]
[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1456499595' post='2989698']
I really can't see the reflex becoming an investment piece, so not worth holding on to it for that reason IMO.
[/quote]

Agree with these comments. It's a great bass though, don't sell it short! :)

Yeah it'll be interesting to see much it sells for. Bongo's go for criminally cheap imo (750-800ish) when the retail is shy of 2k. But I would pay good money for a reflex as you might wait another 2 years for another one to show up second hand unless you buy from US. It's aesthetics suit a broader range of music genres than the bongo, ie you're not restricted to music that's played in the dark.

I've been contemplating selling the BB1025 and possibly the BB425 after it but I went through phases of buying and selling and buying the same again so I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I spent a long time deciding on the BB1025 but since I got the Stingray I haven't used it live, in fact it's only been out of the bag once and that was to take the Chromes off and put them on the Stingray.

I don't need the Yamaha, I don't need the money and I don't need to free up space but I feel that if I don't use it then there's no point in having such a great bass as a backup that may never get used.

I can see me renewing my sellers subscription on here before long if I can't make up my mind one way or the other and let fate (or another member looking for one) decide.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456507457' post='2989856']

Is this a free ad? ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1456509737' post='2989888']

What's the weight? ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456510793' post='2989904']

Is this still for sale? ;)
[/quote]

How about some pictures? ;)