Why become a member? ×

Pointers for ebay comments.

Well folks, we have a dedicated ebay forum.

I'm not going to preach to you about how to behave, I would however like to suggest a few points for you to consider before you post a thread.......

1.eBay is MUCH larger than Basschat and reflects society, so for every 1 of us that is SSSsssssoooooooo into basses there is probably 4 or 5 that bought a bass played it for a few weeks and got fed up. These then end up on the 'bay !

2.Not everybody on eBay is a scammer. They may GENUINELY not have the depth of knowledge that the average contirbutor on here has and hence thier descriptions may not be accurate.

3. Any article is only worth what someone is willing to pay....... They may WANT £1500 for a 2003 MIM P Bass but realistically we know that aint gonna happen. .If it doesnt sell they loose out not us !

4. Flippant comments are not helpful and can be hurtful and desstructive.... please just think before you put...
[i]"this ebayer is a lying scumbag scammer !" [/i]
Even if you have some evidence to support this comment it would be more pertinent to put EXACTLY what your evidence is and what you did about it.
Remember the person selling that bass may also be a basschatter!

5. You can put POSITIVE on here as well. If you've had a really good deal let the rest of us know about it.

6. If you have have been subject of a fraud/ scam /or just really bad service----- let the relavant authories know first, so that when you post on here you can update with what has happened.

If you can think of anything I've missed let me know please..

Enjoy the forum and use it well, it can and should be an excellent resource

• 1 year later...

[quote name='The Burpster' post='29955' date='Jul 10 2007, 07:09 PM']Well folks, we have a dedicated ebay forum.

I'm not going to preach to you about how to behave, I would however like to suggest a few points for you to consider before you post a thread.......

1.eBay is MUCH larger than Basschat and reflects society, so for every 1 of us that is SSSsssssoooooooo into basses there is probably 4 or 5 that bought a bass played it for a few weeks and got fed up. These then end up on the 'bay !

2.Not everybody on eBay is a scammer. They may GENUINELY not have the depth of knowledge that the average contirbutor on here has and hence thier descriptions may not be accurate.

3. Any article is only worth what someone is willing to pay....... They may WANT £1500 for a 2003 MIM P Bass but realistically we know that aint gonna happen. .If it doesnt sell they loose out not us !

4. Flippant comments are not helpful and can be hurtful and desstructive.... please just think before you put...
[i]"this ebayer is a lying scumbag scammer !" [/i]
Even if you have some evidence to support this comment it would be more pertinent to put EXACTLY what your evidence is and what you did about it.
Remember the person selling that bass may also be a basschatter!

5. You can put POSITIVE on here as well. If you've had a really good deal let the rest of us know about it.

6. If you have have been subject of a fraud/ scam /or just really bad service----- let the relavant authories know first, so that when you post on here you can update with what has happened.

If you can think of anything I've missed let me know please..

Enjoy the forum and use it well, it can and should be an excellent resource[/quote]

Folks, could you make the title of the post a bit more meaningful to help those who are looking for something in particular?

So instead of:-

"OMG! Have you seen this!!"

do:-

" Fender 76 P bass £00.1p" with
"Run over by a tractor" on the next line.

Also helps those who use 'LoFi' mode on the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

This seems to be the etiquette thread, so I'll post my thoughts here.

I'm all for us pooling our collective knowledge and using it to smash the scams of people who are passing something off as genuine when it is a forgery. I derive a great deal of satisfaction from the fraudulent listings being taken down, or for successfully getting in touch with winning bidders before they pay.

However, we must remain impartial and level headed. "eBay police" may be a title bandied around in jest, but let's operate more like police and less like a lynch mob.

If you suspect that something is a fake, then please stick to the facts - link to the offending item and outline the reasons why you think it's a fake. Try to keep it impersonal, even if you suspect that the seller knows damn well what they are doing.

Apart from that, keep your eyes open and keep up the good work.

[quote name='neepheid' post='377431' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:23 AM']This seems to be the etiquette thread, so I'll post my thoughts here.

I'm all for us pooling our collective knowledge and using it to smash the scams of people who are passing something off as genuine when it is a forgery. I derive a great deal of satisfaction from the fraudulent listings being taken down, or for successfully getting in touch with winning bidders before they pay.

However, we must remain impartial and level headed. "eBay police" may be a title bandied around in jest, but let's operate more like police and less like a lynch mob.

If you suspect that something is a fake, then please stick to the facts - link to the offending item and outline the reasons why you think it's a fake. Try to keep it impersonal, even if you suspect that the seller knows damn well what they are doing.

Apart from that, keep your eyes open and keep up the good work.[/quote]

Agreed it's much better if someone posts "I'm not sure about this" or "can someone help with this" than "scumbag trying to do a runner with some bastards money" then we can all have a reasoned debate on the listing and come to a consensus.

• 3 years later...
  • ped unpinned this topic