Why become a member? ×

Combo Slaving Question

discreet

[b]Combo Slaving Question[/b]

Here's a hypothetical question for you. Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere and is screamingly obvious to all concerned, but it's not something I've ever considered and I'm a bit of a lame-o when it comes to technical stuff, as we know... however:

Let's assume one has two identical bass combo amps. Each has a post-Master XLR Line out, and each has a pair of 6.3mm Send and Return loop jack sockets.

If one wanted to use both amps at the same time, i.e. one bass into two amps for maximum beans, could one take a line from the XLR Out of one amp to the Instrument Input of the second (thus having both preamps available and the ability to EQ each combo differently, i.e. one with big hefty thump and the other with hi-mids, top and a bit of grit?) OR, would it be preferable to take a line from the SEND of one amp into the RETURN of the second, thus bypassing the preamp of the second combo (but using the power stage of the second combo) and controlling everything from the preamp of the first amp?

Or is there a much better way and I'm just talking out my arse, as usual? I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1456152901' post='2985964']
Or maybe an ABY box, something like this, will do exactly what you want to do, and they don't cost a lot.. :-
[/quote]

Thanks very much for that - I did consider similar, but I want to keep boxes and leads down to an absolute minimum... just having one extra jack lead kind of appeals... having said that, just one combo and one cable would be the ultimate. I ask only out of curiosity, it's very unlikely I'll ever need to actually run two combos in the real world. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456153196' post='2985970']
Thanks very much for that - I did consider similar, but I want to keep boxes and leads down to an absolute minimum... just having one extra jack lead kind of appeals... having said that, just one combo and one cable would be the ultimate. I ask only out of curiosity, it's very unlikely I'll ever need to actually run two combos in the real world. :)
[/quote]

Yeah I understand - I'd love to run a stereo rig with one amp doing lows and one amp doing high frequencies, but I think my bandmates would laugh their heads off if I showed up to a gig at the Dog & Duck with a 2 amp setup.....they just don't understand :happy:

Edited by LewisK1975

I used to take a 1 x 15" peavey bass combo, and a 2 x 12" guitar combo to all my gigs, and some of these were smaller pubs. I never had a problem or anyone laughing. I would often be complimented on the sound in fact!

EDIT: Back on topic, the DI output from your head will be at line-level, so it'd be best to put it into the return of the 2nd amp. However, if you wanted to use separate EQ on the 2nd amp, and you didn't want to take a splitter of some kind (most tuners have 2 outputs) then you could get away going from the DI on the 1st amp into the input on the 2nd. You'd just have to have the input gain pretty low

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1456155490' post='2986009']
...the DI output from your head will be at line-level, so it'd be best to put it into the return of the 2nd amp. However, if you wanted to use separate EQ on the 2nd amp, and you didn't want to take a splitter of some kind (most tuners have 2 outputs) then you could get away going from the DI on the 1st amp into the input on the 2nd. You'd just have to have the input gain pretty low
[/quote]

Thanks for this. I don't think I'd want to introduce all the variables involved with separate EQing, just have the sound I normally get, but louder. If it ever happens I probably would experiment with stage placement, though. Maybe have one firing forward and the other as a side monitor across the stage, or something. :)

• 1 month later...

I'd say do it! I have it easier, two jacks on the bass feeds two Ampeg combos, one clean, one with ghosted in distortion but bugger me with a fish fork - it doesn't half work. Got rid of the bass bins for the PA, this has 3 mins and a kick drum, there's a very healthy bass drum crack but all the low end everyone hears is down to me with two relatively small units. Split your signal, it'll broaden how you play mate.

This is my new toy 2 x AER amp three ( all 2nd hand) stacked for a mini biamped or stereo portable rig. It is fekin monstrous. Low and to kill a pig and awesome. Works so well and stupidly portable.

Edited by pmjos

[quote name='leemarseillebass' timestamp='1459805781' post='3019941']
I'd say do it! I have it easier, two jacks on the bass feeds two Ampeg combos, one clean, one with ghosted in distortion but bugger me with a fish fork - it doesn't half work. Got rid of the bass bins for the PA, this has 3 mins and a kick drum, there's a very healthy bass drum crack but all the low end everyone hears is down to me with two relatively small units. Split your signal, it'll broaden how you play mate.
[/quote]

I may just give it a go for the hell of it... I certainly don't need any more volume, but it would be fun to play with the sound - and the minds of the rest of the band... ;)

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1460199185' post='3023461']
This is my new toy 2 x AER amp three ( all 2nd hand) stacked for a mini biamped or stereo portable rig. It is fekin monstrous. Low and to kill a pig and awesome. Works so well and stupidly portable.
[/quote]

It does sound like an awesome idea, and AER were on my list - only the usual stopped me from buying one.