Why become a member? ×

What do you call yourself?

colgraff

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1456101146' post='2985474']
Hmmmm......, for me I think it has to be bass player or bassist. Tend not to use the g word!
[/quote]
This^ My late Mum had an anoying habit of describing me as "a guitar man". It always made me cringe.

I much prefer "bassist" or "bass player" to "bass guitarist" I know bass is shaped and played similar to a guitar but that's where the similarity ends. They are completely different instruments, fulfilling different roles and requiring a very different skill set and musical approach. Despite what the uninitiated may think, we do not just play the same as the guitar an octave lower...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1456125666' post='2985511']
I much prefer "bassist" or "bass player" to "bass guitarist" I know bass is shaped and played similar to a guitar but that's where the similarity ends. They are completely different instruments, fulfilling different roles and requiring a very different skill set and musical approach. Despite what the uninitiated may think, we do not just play the same as the guitar an octave lower...
[/quote]
Precisely, it's a guitar-like bass, it's not a guitar. So bassist or bass player it is.

Bass player but used to work with a guy who played bass that insisted he was a guitarist and didn't like been called a bass player. He used to say he played guitar but it's only got 4 strings!? He was amazingly defensive about been a bass player for some reason. I started avoiding him as he also liked a moan too, it all got to much for me. 😊

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1456131227' post='2985553']
Don't care. People get way too precious about this kind of thing.
[/quote]
Yes, why would anyone care?

If I said to someone in possession of, for example, a Fender Precision bass 'so, you're the bass guitarist' and they replied 'no, I am a bassist, it's not a guitar', I would think 'what a pompous twat!'