Why become a member? ×

Octave up pedal for bass

spectoremg

I'd be happy to... I'm guessing it has to be done through the desktop app though, slight problem for me because I don't have access to my computer atm. Will get back to you!

You should be able to get pretty close if you DIY. I think I used a 2nd order HPF set at 400hz for the global EQ, everything else should be self explanatory.

NB it's worth messing around with the curve on the 'tone' knob (by which I mean LPF assigned to knob 2 - knob changes cutoff frequency ). I think mine is set as a straight line from 20hz to 20khz, which is way too aggressive. I've been meaning to change it. 

I bought the MXR Sub Octave Bass Fuzz , the first couple of days, I did not care for it at all. I came really close to sending it back. the problem was when I got the volume set for the fuzz then changed over to the octave there was a very noticeable volume drop. For me it was one of the hardest pedals to tweak, like i said come very close to sending it back. I even got on youtube and watch others use it, but you never know what amp they are using how they got the EQ set. Maybe using other pedals you never know, plus I use different amps. At church I use a SWR350 head and a SWR410 cab and line out to the board. At home and gigs I play on my own outside the church, I use a MarkBass Jeff Berlin 151p bass amp. But my problem I hate being defeated, and I am sometimes so I went in my music room and tweak and tweak and I found the sweet spot. So the only thing and I was surprised I had to just adjust the volume on the fuzz a little, the EQ was great for both amps.. Less volume on the SWR at church, and a little more on my MarkBass. Of course the MarkBass has a huge and heavey B&C 15 speaker. And some times I use an Aguilar 210 cab with it which brings it up another 200 watts 500 all together. What it comes down to and I will quit Jabbering I like the pedal a lot.

MXR-M287-WEB.jpg

122130.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently tweaked this “octave up only” tone print, I think I’ve nailed it.

Step 1: start with the “Poly” template.

Step 2: On the sub2 output EQ tab, make sure that “link” is turned off.

Step 3: on the Up output EQ tab, change settings as shown in the first picture.

Step 4: on the mapping tab, change settings for “Sub2” as shown in the second picture (NB end point of the curve is 400hz)

Step 5: still on the mapping tab, change settings for “Sub” as shown in the third picture.

Step 6: on the octaver tab, set “Sub” and “Sub2” all the way off.

Do not change any other settings.

Voila! 

220838F2-9517-46CE-AAA0-88FCF9B4FC6C.jpeg

B735B248-1EED-414A-B255-7ABAB8A9828C.jpeg

C2CEE03A-539A-4470-9CDC-F164462C56CE.jpeg

Edited by AJ567
Forgot a step
  • Like 1

AJ567 - You're an absolute gentleman. 

Please forgive my ignorance, as I've never used the TonePrint desktop app, but would I be correct in assuming that I need to have the pedal connected to my mac via the USB cable before I can bring up the various parameters you've tweaked?

On 17/09/2018 at 11:10, Dood said:

ok, so I caved @Al Krow. The Valeton OC-10 arrived today. Hoping to get a chance to play with it later on. I love that it comes with a precept piece of velcro for pedal boards. THAT is a huge bonus.

Well the Valeton OC-10 doesn't do octave up (as Dood really knew - he was just seeing if we're awake :)... however the much loved TC Sub'n'Up does and if you check this thread you'll discover they are down 30% on prices to just £68 posted! (The mini is being sold for the same price currently too).

@AJ567 - thanks for your above post. If you're able to record and post a clip of how that sounds, that would be great!

1 hour ago, denki109 said:

AJ567 - You're an absolute gentleman. 

Please forgive my ignorance, as I've never used the TonePrint desktop app, but would I be correct in assuming that I need to have the pedal connected to my mac via the USB cable before I can bring up the various parameters you've tweaked?

Yes that’s correct!

glad to help 😊

I once made an octave up pedal; it was just half-wave rectification and did make rather an interesting sound - I think it was from Elektor magazine and I etched the PCB.

(I've still got it, uncased, but I might get it going again some time.)