Why become a member? ×

Two Notes Le Bass preamp

visog

I do like the sound of this. That demo is cool, but 10 minutes if talking before the pedal is even turned in is a bit much!

Something of a tale of woe this thread, though. All these issues with power, interference and popping. Are these all confirmed to be defects? Large investment for a floor unit that is anything other than perfect!

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1465078347' post='3065202']
I do like the sound of this. That demo is cool, but 10 minutes if talking before the pedal is even turned in is a bit much!

Something of a tale of woe this thread, though. All these issues with power, interference and popping. Are these all confirmed to be defects? Large investment for a floor unit that is anything other than perfect!
[/quote]

I do believe that there was an issue with the first batch of power supplies. I believe that TwoNotes are sourcing a new power supply.
Personally, I bought a One spot CS7 and the pedal now runs super quiet.
On another note I rolled the tube for a Harma DR250 ECC83 and now channel A has more mids and channel B sounds less brittle IMO. Not that it sounded bad before, I just had a spare valve and thought I'd try it.

Edited by Opticaleye

I've experience some noise issues and pops when the unit was too close to my PC and speaker amplifier... sounds fine now though.

On a separate note... Here's the Le Crunch with bass... I think it sounds a bit more aggressive B7K vs the Le Bass more Vintage Tubes?

See what you think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dhy6ujlz-4

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1467830300' post='3086619']
Is anyone on here using this as a pre-amp , straight into a power amp , as their main rig .

I've seen a lot using it as a pre-amp pedal as part of the board , but can't see if anyone is using it as a pre-amp proper
[/quote]
Depending on the band situation, I now use it in the FX return of my Markbass so it acts as a pre-amp. In other situations I just wire it to the input of my amp.

[quote name='madame clapotis' timestamp='1467883150' post='3086906']
Depending on the band situation, I now use it in the FX return of my Markbass so it acts as a pre-amp. In other situations I just wire it to the input of my amp.
[/quote]

I don't know about other Markbass models but going into the FX return on an LM2/3 doesn't bypass the preamp section so will not make much difference sadly.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1467886553' post='3086967']
I don't know about other Markbass models but going into the FX return on an LM2/3 doesn't bypass the preamp section so will not make much difference sadly.
[/quote]

There are some jumpers internally though to switch the loop between parallel and series mode - but suprised that it wouldn't be after the preamp though in either case.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1467889243' post='3087014']
There are some jumpers internally though to switch the loop between parallel and series mode - but suprised that it wouldn't be after the preamp though in either case.
[/quote]

I've just checked the schematic again and the return bypasses the gain input but enters before the eq section. There has been much discussion and verification of this on the "other " forum.

Oh, and I tried it too.....

• 3 weeks later...

A current doubler is what you want, like these:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/t-rex-fuel-tank-green-current-doubler-cable/77306

https://new.andertons.co.uk/p/VLPPAP/power-supplies/voodoo-labs-current-doubler-y-cable-adapter

Although you might find that the Artec can power it without one, worth a try!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1469539676' post='3099145']
A current doubler is what you want, like these:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/t-rex-fuel-tank-green-current-doubler-cable/77306

https://new.andertons.co.uk/p/VLPPAP/power-supplies/voodoo-labs-current-doubler-y-cable-adapter

Although you might find that the Artec can power it without one, worth a try!
[/quote]

Perfick!
I'll give it a bash without it but 300 to 500 seems a big step up, no?
I take it neither will get damaged if it's not enough?

Thanks DannyB

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting vid here where the presenter compares a Dark Glass B7k and the TN Le Bass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx7_3T9WUJY

Not sure I agree with his comments about live use but worth a watch for those trying to decide which of these both great pedals to get...

This pedal is so good, it makes my jazz bass come to life and I can get some of my favourite bass tones out of it. Especially love the Fusion mode and use that most of the time. The pedal has an amazing amount of low end that you have to be careful with - people have complained the speaker sim in boomy - but I think that when plugged into an amp it's very easy to add too much low end without realising. I discovered this and when switching from bypass to engaged i noticed that was happening. Super flexible - I can get a very tight/clean sound that is very slightly compressed. I drive the gain on the clean channel and lower the volume to get that happening and it's great for R n B/funk - in the fusion mode I can get amazing tones from geddy lee to BSSM Flea and full out ft distortion.

Using it in front of my Eden WTP600 - which I thought could not get any better and even ditched my Orange AD200 for - but the Le Bass just adds more depth to the tone!

I received another replacement power supply for my Le Bass a few days ago and it works silently. I would imagine this is the power supply that is being supplied now.

I'm still absolutely loving the Le Bass - so versatile and full of character. I use it all the time even though my Markbass TTE801 sounds great anyway.

• 4 months later...

This is a nice sounding unit with an excellent clean sound plus some really useable grit, but does anyone else wish there was a master volume? As it is you have to adjust the gain on the two channels when increasing stage volume.
This also affects the DI level too: Has anyone had feedback from a sound engineer on the DI quality and level of output?

[quote name='MGBrown' timestamp='1482965637' post='3203858']
This is a nice sounding unit with an excellent clean sound plus some really useable grit, but does anyone else wish there was a master volume? As it is you have to adjust the gain on the two channels when increasing stage volume.
This also affects the DI level too: Has anyone had feedback from a sound engineer on the DI quality and level of output?
[/quote]

I found the DI extremely hot...too hot to use at the gigs for which I purchased the LeBass!