Why become a member? ×

This girl is just.!! WOW

bubinga5

I don't normally weigh in on these discussions but I had to address the notion of this video being 'sped up'. These two players are not bedroom shredders - Gergo is Gary Willis's current drummer and has played with the likes of DiMeola, Mintzer, Bullock etc. whilst Mohini is the bass player for AR Rahman's band (a very prolific composer and producer, holder of numerous music awards), she has also performed with John Mclaughlin's former bandmates Zakir Hussain and Naveen Kumar (the latter of whom I have also had the honour of playing live with) - neither of them have the need to impress through any fakery.

Both artists have been playing since the tender age of 3 and have put serious hours in to their craft.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456138665' post='2985682']
This is more interesting, IMO. She's clearly very talented.

http://youtu.be/qCIpqwJe-6o
[/quote]

I can't see how people would think that with what she shown in the first video that she somehow couldn't just sit back and groove like this.

An immense talent for sure and still very young!(although she's 18 now I think)

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1456137083' post='2985648']
I don't normally weigh in on these discussions but I had to address the notion of this video being 'sped up'. These two players are not bedroom shredders - Gergo is Gary Willis's current drummer and has played with the likes of DiMeola, Mintzer, Bullock etc. whilst Mohini is the bass player for AR Rahman's band (a very prolific composer and producer, holder of numerous music awards), she has also performed with John Mclaughlin's former bandmates Zakir Hussain and Naveen Kumar (the latter of whom I have also had the honour of playing live with) - neither of them have the need to impress through any fakery.

Both artists have been playing since the tender age of 3 and have put serious hours in to their craft.
[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456138665' post='2985682']
This is more interesting, IMO. She's clearly very talented.

http://youtu.be/qCIpqwJe-6o
[/quote]

Better than the first but to me and although she can play and is talented clearly, I still didn't think much of it, just sounded like some cool noodling. The guy on that other (Indian?) thing was cool though and had soul I didn't get that from her. No disrespect at all I would love to be able to play like that but I wouldn't. I have not looked into Amy other vids I'm sure she does other things but the two vids I've seen meh.

Opposite end of the spectrum are very simple but cool riffs bass or guitar, that can make your hairs stand on end, anyone can play them but not anyone can make one.
Not that I'm saying she can't on that either.

It's all a matter of perspective I think I'm trying to say. Bit like slap bass or say Mark King vs Adam Clayton.

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1456137083' post='2985648']

[/quote]

That was me. When I wrote it I didn't realise there would be a lot of criticism of the video. In hindsight, I wouldn't have posted that as it looks like I'm having a go at their (the bass player and drummer) talent. That wasn't my intention at all! I only picked up on some fast movements because I was studying the drummer's technique closely. Both my dad and older brother are drummers and I've always admired how well and how quickly drummers can play - hence my close examination of the technique. I didn't notice anything about the bass player's playing that made me think it was sped up, but some of the drummers movements looked unnaturally fast. Thanks for the info on who they both are, and in light of that info it looks like they can just play really really fast. If I'd known there would be a lot of criticism of the video I wouldn't have posted it as my comment would have been taken as a criticism in itself. So, a big oops from me. In my post I did say they had incredible talent and was asking if anyone else had observed what may have been really fast movements. But in the wave of criticism afterwards, I can see how my comment got lumped in with all that lot.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1456142710' post='2985756']
Better than the first but to me and although she can play and is talented clearly, I still didn't think much of it, just sounded like some cool noodling. The guy on that other (Indian?) thing was cool though and had soul I didn't get that from her. No disrespect at all I would love to be able to play like that but I wouldn't. I have not looked into Amy other vids I'm sure she does other things but the two vids I've seen meh.

Opposite end of the spectrum are very simple but cool riffs bass or guitar, that can make your hairs stand on end, anyone can play them but not anyone can make one.
Not that I'm saying she can't on that either.

It's all a matter of perspective I think I'm trying to say. Bit like slap bass or say Mark King vs Adam Clayton.
[/quote]

Yep, this. Nothing memorable for me.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1456058063' post='2984887']
Im not really into very intricate noodling, but when it sounds this good I'm all ears., i will lay my hat down to this kid, she is a bad ass on the bass.. The solo @ 2.00 minutes is just astonishing. . Incredible technique the girl has. She's 16 years old.

Im quite amazed that a person can be this good at 16 years of age. Just goes to show, musical ability is inherent.
[/quote]

Just finally got around to giving a listen after already having read all the criticism here. I absolutely loved both clips regardless of age or gender considerations, thanks for posting them. I would gladly pay good money to see that second band, no doubt about it.

...but ....but... that first vid [b]is[/b] sped up! :o
Now, I know that I might be wrong about this, but I'm still convinced it really is. Just look at the movements in their garments, as well as some unnatural movements in their arms and fingers.
I realise it might be my connection or certain YT artefacts, but I'm not aware having seen the same in other vids.

Combining this notion with the IMHO strange sound ideals in the production, leads me to think that it might sound a lot better at slightly slower speed.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1456171514' post='2986278']
...but ....but... that first vid [b]is[/b] sped up! :o
Now, I know that I might be wrong about this, but I'm still convinced it really is. Just look at the movements in their garments, as well as some unnatural movements in their arms and fingers.
I realise it might be my connection or certain YT artefacts, but I'm not aware having seen the same in other vids.

Combining this notion with the IMHO strange sound ideals in the production, leads me to think that it might sound a lot better at slightly slower speed.
[/quote]

Having forced myself to watch it again, I dont think there is any doubt about it. That is sped up. By quite a bit too.

The second video I dont mind at all tho.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1456172211' post='2986292']
If you want to be a fret board w***er , take up guitar and leave the bass alone ,your missing the point love
Don't take offence take the gate it's easier
I thank you��
[/quote]

I think there's bass playing, and bass playing.

Personally I'd take exception to the term 'love' too, but that's just me.

Sometimes this is a great forum. Other times not so, especially when there's playing that doesn't conform to the collective view of what bass playing should be.

I think both videos are amazing, I'd love to have that kind of ability. I've spent many thousands of hours practicing and don't come anywhere close.

On the issue of sped up or not, the drummer, Gergo Borlai, says on the Youtube page ...

[quote]
Guys, it's not sped up. I made the video, I played on the drums. There is a fan on the front of Mohini. We both can play fast :-) Plus we can't afford to lie for the world. Plus she is living Mumbai/India and I'm living in Barcelona. It's quite hard to organize a video session in the same room. Believe me, we don't want to fool anyone. Best, G
[/quote]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456177738' post='2986394']
On the issue of sped up or not, the drummer, Gergo Borlai, says on the Youtube page ...
[/quote]

Cool :) I only thought it may be sped up based on the visuals in the video and not on the playing. I honestly wouldn't have thought it may have been if I'd only listened to it. And you know, it could have been the person uploading it (I didn't check if the artists or someone else had uploaded it) who had altered the video. But it wasn't sped up so that's that :)

Edited by Mornats

It looks sped up to me.
That does not mean the drummer is trying to fool anyone. There's a plethora of perfectly alright possible explanations that keep him in the clear.

BTW, I know they can play this fast, have no reason to distrust them, and just thought the uploader was a fanboi or someone trying to pull some legs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1456167870' post='2986207']
I got to 24 seconds then pressed the off button. Talented for sure, but not my thing.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. This stuff is so far away from anything I'll be involved with.

Give me Rocco Prestia, that I can at least understand.

Blue