Why become a member? ×

Headphones ?

The Hat

I use Seinnheiser hd201s. Excellent quality for bass practice & listening to music.

The cable is quite light & thin & needs to be treated with a bit of care, but you should get around £60 change from your £80 to spend on other goodies.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Closed-Dynamic-Stereo-headphones-black/dp/B0007XJSQC

I'm going to suggest Superlux hd661's or hd681 evo's. I've used sennheisers and akg's in the past and although better, they're not that much better imo. And for the price (dirt cheap on thomann) it's not going to be much issue if you disagree with them. I use the closed back 661's for monitoring and the semi open 681's for general listening to loud sh*t when the kids are sleeping. Worth checking out reviews if nothing else, got some cool design features like the detachable cable.

Edited by stubass

I got a pair of the Superlux HD668b off Amazon on a BCers recommendation. Best £33 I've spent on headphones (& better than ones that I've paid considerably more too).
They're open back, so ideal for listening to music as well as mixing & mastering, which is what I use them for. If you don't want them to bleed to the outside world (like recording with mics or irritate the Mrs), then go for closed back (open back tend to have the better sound quality).

If you want the PJBs but at a cheaper price, then there's the Edifier H850. Same headphones, but rebranded (& according to Mr PJ, made from cheaper parts).

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1456092403' post='2985374']
Just ordered a pair of Superlux H661's
[/quote]

Good luck with them but - as a bass player - IMO you should have at least had a listen to the PJB kit first. I have all sorts of high-end headphones knocking around, accumulated over the last 20 years. They have all, without exception, been blown out of the water by the PJBs.

It's all very personal of course, but that's precisely why you should - if at all possible - try before you buy.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1456052651' post='2984788']
Stretch to some Sennheiser HD25 if you can
[/quote]

This. Had mine for something like 12 years. Every part is replaceable, they're comfy and they sound very good.

I wouldn't buy a pair of headphones that boost the bass massively, they will give you ear fatigue, and false information about your tone, which might affect your playing.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1456131610' post='2985557']
Good luck with them but - as a bass player - IMO you should have at least had a listen to the PJB kit first. I have all sorts of high-end headphones knocking around, accumulated over the last 20 years. They have all, without exception, been blown out of the water by the PJBs.

It's all very personal of course, but that's precisely why you should - if at all possible - try before you buy.
[/quote]

Have you tried the DT-770s? I thought the PJBs were great, they sounded much clearer but they were no match for the Beyer's in the low end department. I like my skull to rumble with sub bass like I'm next to a monster cab!

I use a pair of Superlux 662F clsoed-back cans for monitoring and mixing. They have a sound very similar to my M-Audio BX5a monitors which is very handy and a lovely coincidence. I've also got a pair of Superlux 668B open back headphones for general music listening. They sound really nice and natural. I've heard a lot of good things about all of their range and as you say, for £25 they're worth a punt!

I spent a few weeks auditioning some higher-end headphones - around the £150 price range - and couldn't find anything to drag me away from the Superlux ones.

I know that 5iM0n on here recommends the Studiospares M1000 headphones. About £65 I think they are.

• 1 month later...

You can't go wrong with Sennheiser. I'm currently using theese
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/dj-headphones-closed-hd-205
But theese are also great. Especially for recording
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/131591_Shure-SRH-240A-38-Ohm-closed-headphones.html

• 1 month later...

My Sony's recently died and I have tried;

Seinnheiser hd201s - disliked quality of sound and sent these immediately back, although the sound was so bad they could have been a duff pair!

Superglue 668b - these are fantastic, lovely clear sound and nice and comfortable.