Why become a member? ×

Best Advice given.

paulbass

Steve Bailey tells the story of being on tour with Dizzy Gillespie. One night, during the tour, he felt he'd finally nailed his bass feature and the crowd went nuts.
Dizzy says to him afterwards "Hey, you're bass solo man," ... (Bailey prepares himself to feign modesty) "...what kind of bull@@@t was that? You know, if you leave a few holes, who knows? Music might just fall out of one of them".

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1456009711' post='2984565']
Best advice I was ever given was "if you can hum it, you can play it".
[/quote]

I had a similar one along the lines of you can play anything if you slow it down enough, then you can start speeding it back up.

[quote name='bobpalt' timestamp='1456077203' post='2985173']
Not bass related, but after having a golf lesson the pro advised me to cut 2 inches off the shaft of each of my clubs. Will that make me play better? I asked. No, he said, but they would be easier to fit in the bin.....
[/quote]

This reminds me of a time we were in the studio. We were recording the drums and the engineer asked our drummist if he had a case for his new China cymbal. Drummist who was very proud of his new purchase said yes. Engineer said great - put it in there then. We still bring this little gem up with him from time to time.

Three more pieces of wisdom.

From Victor Wooten: If you hit a bum note you're only a semi tone away from a right note. So get good at sliding.

From a double bass player: If you don't know the tune, never hit the same note twice in a row.

And the best one, from a woman I'd never met before, in a pub in Lincolnshire: Marry a woman with small hands.

Not really advice, but many, many years ago a former peer of mine from school ran into me checking out a bass in a music shop. She said, "I didn't know you played guitar." To which I said, "It's a bass guitar and I do it for a living." She replied, "But you were good at school."