Why become a member? ×

NBD Maruszczyk Jake

Fisheth

Hey guys!

So there's a little story behind this one, I've been playing Fender precisions for a long time (CIJ, MIM Harris) and they felt perfect to me, apart from one thing. The weight, as a sufferer of back problems, I decided to go and start hunting, for something that wouldn't hurt my back and retain the same feel as my Fenders. So I found these guys, Public Peace in Germany, who were getting rave reviews from Talk Bass and Bass Chat, so I thought why not and enquired about getting a custom Jake (Which is a precision) made for me and it's here, it also only came out to what a high end MIM Fender would cost. (Only got one picture of it, but I'll get more I promise) It is slightly darker in person, however it changes dependent on where the light is.

[url="http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/Andyscarlettreviews/media/Jake_zpsvhnnw7yy.jpg.html"][/url]

The specs are as follows:

Chambered Ash Body
Blue Burst
Black Block inlays
Chrome Pick Guard
Haussel P+J set
Hipshot Ultra Lite tuners
Hipshot A type bridge

So, it's a nice sounding bass. Very vintage like and warm. My first thoughts were similar to James Jamerson Motown, but with a bit of a livelier feel to it. Haven't taken it to a rehersal yet, but I will be doing so on Monday and will report back, my band play older style metal, so think Maiden, Priest and that sort of sound and you're there.

The J pickup has a lot of bite too it and is perfect for some of the quieter sections in some of our songs.

Feeling wise, it's dead on to my MIM Harris, exactly the same thickness and width. Which is all I gave him, however he's got the radius and all the finer details dead on, which is pretty cool.

All in all communication was excellent (Despite some broken English, but it was always very clear what he meant) and it was packaged really well. Also came with a gig bag with tons of space and a leather strap! Took around 10 weeks to build. But it feels like it's been worth it!

I'm gigging with it Thursday, which is apparently getting filmed and up on YouTube, so you'll be able to see and hear it better then.

Sorry about my incoherent ramblings! Never been too good at this, but hope you guys enjoy!

It's so good, I've sent another email about doing another bass from the same builder.

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1456004680' post='2984536']
Very nice custom bass that is! I kinda wished I'd thought about a Maruszczyk before I bought my MIM Fender P bass. The Fender's a superb bass but those Maruszczyks look just out of this world gorgeous and are by all accounts amazing to play.
[/quote]

Yeah it's lovely!

Already emailed Adrian regarding a custom Speesy from the Mensinger side of things!

Lovely bass, amazing how you can get exactly what you want for so little money from them. I imagine they must be getting really busy now, just based on the feedback on this site.

I'm hoping to have the money for a 5 string Precision soon, I'll definitely be looking at Jake, hopefully with a 70s Fender look to it, or as much as it can with 5 strings.