Why become a member? ×

Kula Shaker

JimmySims

I went to see Kula Shaker a few nights ago at the Roundhouse in London. Alonza Bevan playing a lovely metalic blue jazz bass sounded ace. I wasn't a fan of theirs in the 90's but I have to say they have some beautiful songs and top grooves. I'd thoroughly recommend going to see them if you get the chance.

Funny, I've been listening them a lot recently as I suggested my band do a cover of their version of Hush. I saw them live on the K tour, circa '96/'97 and I still rate it as one of the best gigs I've ever seen. They took the roof off.

I remember Crispian Mills made some misguided and probably innocent comments that the music weeklies then got a hold of and blew up and that was them finished really, shame.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1455906730' post='2983583']
Funny, I've been listening them a lot recently as I suggested my band do a cover of their version of Hush. I saw them live on the K tour, circa '96/'97 and I still rate it as one of the best gigs I've ever seen. They took the roof off.
[/quote]

Yes, I saw them about the same time. They had incredible energy as a live act; very few bands I've seen have matched them on that.

Great band. The first album was great but the second was utterly superb, best listened to as a complete piece, comfortably one of the most adventurous and accomplished from that era. Shame it died, commercially, though. The last one I heard from them was Strangefolk, with great basslines as usual. If there's something new out, I will seek it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEnziTHv7so

I had a great conversation with Crispian Mills after a gig in Cardiff once about the significance to him of playing in the city where his mother made her acting debut in 1959. This was post Kula Shaker when he had a great three piece band called The Jeevas.