Why become a member? ×

Bass DiIlemma

keefbaker

I suppose it's really about which type of bass you prefer... I doubt I'd buy a singlecut or a sparkly 80s bass even if they played perfectly and sounded great. Luckily there are enough P basses in the world that look great (in my opinion) that also play well and sound perfect, but of course I'm biased towards Fender-type basses.

If I played a P bass that was a dog, I wouldn't buy it regardless of how good it looked.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1455891525' post='2983364']
I'm wondering if there's a "this far no further" point for people and what it is.
[/quote]

No natural finishes, no weird body or headstock shapes, no more than four strings, no crap modern tort, no tort with anything other than shades of white, gold or fiesta red... I think that's enough to be going on with... :D

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1455890674' post='2983351']
How does look affect your bass?
[/quote]

Massively. I would never be seen playing a bass that I didn't love the look of.

And IMO most basses sound perfectly decent within a band mix, so as long as it wasn't uncomfortable to play and the sound had some life to it, I would be perfectly happy if I thought it looked great.

I haven't voted because I don't think any of the options adequately reflect how I feel about the first two basses and the poll won't let me vote in only one category. Out of the three options I'd probably happy with the last bass provided they were they right sort of skull inlays.

Edited by BigRedX

I suppose everything boils down to the criteria you set yourself when you go out looking for a new bass/guitar/whatever.

Not only does it have to meet it's performance requirements (plays well, sounds good etc.), but it also has to meet your aesthetic requirements (as well as budgetary requirements).