Wal Fretted 6
Wal Fretless 6 - Incoming
Moollon Classic P - incoming
Peterbuilt Fretless Jazz
Modern 4 - not yet bought

Glockenklang Blue Soul
Berg CN210
Berg CN112 - not yet bought

OK so after a recent flurry of buying, selling and ordering I've decided to try and justify to myself why I have/want the gear I've got already / the gear I have incoming... No real reason it just makes me feel better to pretend there is some reasoning behind it, rather than just buying shiny new bass gear to fill the void in my soul created by the hours I have to spend doing my unfalteringly s**t job.

Wal fretted and fretless 6ers cover all my original band needs. I have the tone I want and the range I need for my various projects.

I also however have need of traditional looking and sounding instruments for projects where I am a sideman to singer / songwriter types. I also may at some point be looking to escape the daily grind of my work and go part time and maybe earn a little bit on the side from music, pub covers, teaching etc. and the traditional looking and sounding P would stand me in good stead for this. I would also have the fretless Jazz should the need arise.

This leaves me outstanding a modern sounding 4 for slappity tappity nonsense... I would like to get a G&L tribute L2000 to tide me over for the time being, but I will eventually get a luthier built modern fretted four... probably ACG.

Amplification wise, I have settled on Glockenklang... It does everything I need at more volume than I could ever use... I have used the berg cn210 on it's own for rehearsals with a loud rock drummer and it was more than enough volume wise. I love the tone of this combination and I would like to add a cn112 (especially after the recent price drop) to give me the option of just using that for smaller acoustic type situations and adding it to the 210 if I ever need to gig without PA support.

So there we go, that's me... and yes I am aware that all I really need is a Squier CV and a Fender rumble :blink:

What's your excuse?

Edited by CamdenRob

P Bass - When i was gigging i didn't need a 5 any more so i wanted something a bit smaller and lighter
Jazz V - Originally needed a 5 string as we were in 4 different tunings. I'm also lazy, so it saves ever having to down tune for anything.
Ibanez - It was my first proper bass, has some sentimental value, and is that destroyed i couldn't sell it anyway

Pedalboard wise, my MXR provides all of my tone, tuner is quite obvious. The rest of it i can't justify as it spends most of it's life sat on a shelf somewhere.

Only ever used my amp on gigs where there was a cab provided 'cause i never had one, and it weighed almost as much as a baby elephant.

Edited by LiamPodmore

Given my belief that a decent Precision is all I need, how come I have two of them, plus two non-Precisions? Here goes:

'73 P - Woody thump for country, jazz, big band
'63 RI P - Growly girth for rock and pop
G&L 5-er - For times when only a 5-er will do (an average of once per year for me!)
Pawn Shop Mustang - This is the one I struggle to justify, as it is taking up rack space that could be occupied by a '50s RI P! Well it fits in the car easier when we stay with relatives, it's dead easy to play, I wouldn't be that gutted if it got trashed in an aeroplane hold, etc, etc. In hindsight I should probably have got a Japanese RI with a split pickup - then it would be a miniature Precision. Or maybe I should mod it to that spec. *sigh*

G&L L5500 (5 string)- technically paid nothing for it just traded a lot of old gear but its my main bass. Used pretty much every practice definitely every gig. So much power. Have it tuned to high b rather than low b so I can trade guitar runs

Sire v7 (5 string)- got as a back up in case g&l ever got damaged. Great bass but doesn't have the oomph as the g&l

Ibanez sr505 - first decent bass. Used it on first ep released can't play it now as I don't get in with the thin neck but wouldn't sell it for sentimental reasons

Peavey tour 750- now the backup amp. Great. Used it for 3 years daily

Trace Elliot ah350smx - my main amp. Wanted one for years. Finally got it in november. gives me the tone I been lookin for

Ampeg 610hlf -bought specifically for a tour and recording. Love it. Used in studio every week

Pedal boards a different thing. Keeps changing. At the moment its a wah. Pig. Trobographic rusty box and an mxr di. All 4 used almost every song

Just ordered a sansamp programmable for some Europe dates I may not be Able to take my board

There's loads of other bits lying around I cannot justify

Edited by mimsy89

fender MIM precision 50's reissue
fender MIJ aerodyne jazz (the ones with pickguard)
fender sandblasted jazz
squier VI
squier precision
warwick thumb V

epihone 335
squier strat

ampeg svt 3 + 410 HLF
behringer BX4500
ibanez soundwave 65

more effects than i can mention.

i use most of it either for gigging or home recording, but i don't need to justify owning it, i own it because my bills are otherwise paid and i want it

Shuker 5 String Fretless P Bass - I wanted a traditional shape P bass but love playing 5 string (like using low d and c quite a bit in my band), and fretless as I started, 40 years ago on double bass, so I feel at home with it.

US Kit built seafoam green P Bass - bought as a fun project, couldn't sell it for less than I bought the parts for so started to use it, and it makes a real difference to a half dozen songs in the band's set.

Carvin BX500 - absolute bargain of a US built amp that punches way above its price tag.

Fender Rumble VIII 112 cabs x 2 - Cheap as chips, sound great, and two, well just because!

MXR 80 DI+ - Discovered the joys of just a tiny bit of grit, and also is a standby DI.

Guitars:
Guild S90 - Had this for close to 40 years, lovely guitar and my first real one, so never going to part with this.
Gordon Smith GS1 - Great workhorse guitar (like a Les Paul Junior) I picked up in a trade on here. Only thing I have that is surplus to requirements, but keeping in case my daughter wants to start again.
Cort acoustic - Would have said a couple of weeks ago that this is surplus to requirements, but two weeks ago I used it to write my first ever song!

Originals band...
'78 p bass - looks and sounds perfect, occasional seasonal niggles and no current back-up in case of disaster
2016 Shuker p bass (incoming - clone of my '78 for greater seasonal stability and a few modern appointments)
Orange AD200b mk3 - looks and sounds perfect
Orange OTB500 - backup head in case of disaster (currently being repaired...)
Orange OBC115 x2
1960 Czech Laminate Double Bass (Originals band acoustic shows)

Everything Else I get asked to play from time to time...
ACG 5 string
Musicman Stingray4 fretless
Markbass CMD102p combo

Stuff I haven't sold yet but don't need...
NS Designs NXT4 don't need this now I have the db

Fender 2000 MIM Jazz bass (owned since new)
Laney combo (broken)

I've had a major change in outlook since I had a kid. got rid of the 5'er, fretless and SWR big rig.

At the mo I'm probably averaging 15- 20 gigs a year so cant justify having much gear and also I just dont fancy lugging it around!
I'm of the opinion that I sound pretty much the same regardless of what amp I'm using.
I've not played a gig where the bass isnt going through the PA so just need enough volume on stage. Most of the venues have been offering the use of a bass rig or I borrow off a friend (he borrowed a rig off me for 3 years). I've had the chance to play all manner of amps and cabs the past few years - the best sound on stage and for the audience has been with an old British made Carlsbro combo in a cardiff venue (no idea on model - I think it was a 15inch speaker)
When I can afford something else, I'd like a lightweight cab and one of those small heads a la TC Electronic. always fancied the neatness of the ampeg PF range with the flip top as well.

[quote name='odysseus' timestamp='1455878031' post='2983157']
My name is Rob and I'm a GASoholic. That's all the justification I can muster! :ph34r:
[/quote]

Me too, on both counts :blink:

This is my favorite spurious justification so far;

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1455873882' post='2983083']
it fits in the car easier when we stay with relatives...
[/quote]

No justification needed, my gear works for its living. It only has to sound good, be light, reliable and never need maintenance. I got lucky with my passive Lull with flats. In 4 years I've only tuned it.

There is a main rig (Aguilar TH500~BF SC's~Lull PJ5), a backup (Thunderfunk 750~Berg CN212~ Lakland 55-94) and maybe some stuff I'm trying out (currently Mesa D800~Fender Jazz).

No whims or fancies involved here. All potential purchases get evaluated against what they will replace. A few years ago I spent 2 hours A/B ing my Lull with a Nordy PJ5. I'd always wanted a Nordy but the Lull thrashed it, so no more Nordy interest.

Easily justified:
Warmoth/Firecreek PJ-V (strung with flats) is my main bass.
Ibanez SR-1205 is my main bass for metal - EMGs, roundwound strings and looks the part.
GK MB500 amp and 1x15" and 2x10" cabs to make my noise
Korg tuner
Line6 G30 wireless to keep me safe from electrocution from dodgy wiring
DHA VT valve distortion for dirt

Less so:
Warmoth Jazz V fretless - for fun right now, although I may dare play it in a band setting at some point
The rest of my pedals
A couple of guitars

Really not:
Ibanez SR-1206 - I wanted it. I hardly touch it as I have a hard time getting along with 6-ers.
Ibanez 1977 PJ - I never play 4-strings any more and this has not been out of its case in over 3 years.
A couple more guitars

But I like them. I have two old bitsa guitars that I just have hanging up as decorations...cheaper than a van Gogh!

Justifying my gear is tricky, because I'm not inclined to sell stuff. As a result, I still have a bunch of basses and amps that I rarely use. The only times that I've ever sold equipment was my old Peavey rig (amp + a pair of 1x15" cabinets) and an Ashdown combo. In both cases, the rationale was the same - keeping them would be impractical because of the amount of space they take up.

That said, in the spirit of the topic, let's have a crack at this.

** Key equipment **
Fret-King Perception 4 - main bass
TC RH450 - main amp
Barefaced Compact - main cab
Tuner, pedals, etc - all used regularly

** Amps **
Hartke LH500 - backup amp, I also usually use this for practice at home
Stagg 20w combo - my first amp, tonally comparable to rancid bumhole, kept for sentimental reasons

** Basses **
Squier VM Jazz fretless - main fretless bass, strung with rounds
Aria Sinsonido fretless - strung with flats, very different sound to the Squier, it's a strange animal
Yamaha BBG4S2 - backup bass, also used for practice at home
Jim Harley P-bass copy - my first bass, sentimental reasons

S.P.

Do we have to justify it? I'm sure that in tougher circumstances I would find[i] something [/i]to make music on (as you see people doing in many parts of the world), so the idea of necessity is a relative thing. That aside, I'll give it a go;

[b]German/Czech double bass, circa 1900[/b]: Double bass is the instrument I wanted to play from a young age, but couldn't get hold of my own until a little later. Although I'll sometimes go through periods where I'm not playing it as much, I'm just less happy without a double bass around. After a rather disappointing modern plywood bass and one older bass with some issues, as soon as I had the opportunity to get hold of a solid, healthy older bass I jumped at it. Mine has been beaten up, badly re-varnished and then beaten up some more, but it's a great sounding instrument and will be with me for life (accidents or theft notwithstanding).

[b]Home built 4 string[/b]: This is a bass I built (rather crudely) in my parent's shed when I was 18, with the aid of Melvyn Hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" book. It has a walnut body, maple/rosewood neck and originally used the hardware from my Ibanez Ric copy which had collapsed at the neck joint. It was my main electric bass for something like 10 years and has it's own sound, but on the downside it weighs 13lbs. It gets little use at the moment, but it has a fair bit of sentimental value and is probably too crude and quirky to sell anyway!

[b]Home built 5 string[/b]: Several years ago I was playing in a band which was rehearsing and gigging very regularly. I had sold the Fender Jazz I'd been playing due to general skintness and the weight of my 4 string was getting to me. I'm not sure why I decided to go 5 string, it just seemed like a good idea. My pickups and tuners were secondhand from eBay and the BC classifieds to keep costs down and it originally used an OLP MM5 neck, though later I built a new neck for it. This one is ash with a maple neck and fingerboard and a pair of Jazz pickups from a Lakland Joe Osborne. It's currently my main electric bass.

[b]Gallien Krueger MB200[/b]: This sees quite a bit of use, I'm not in love with it but it's very convenient and usually loud enough.

[b]Dynacord Eminent II[/b]: This is less practical, I like valve amps and I like to build, tweak and repair things as a bit of a hobby. Musically I could probably do without this one, but I do enjoy tinkering about with old amps.

[b]Home built cabs, 1x10" and 1x12"[/b]: The 1x10" comes out for low volume stuff, double bass use or for taking on the bus. The pair of 1x12" cabs will cover any other gigs. They've only done one gig so far, as I only finished them last week!

All of this is either actively used or not worth selling, and building things has become a hobby for me. I probably do have some "indulgences" in other instruments, like a 30's Gibson-made Kalamazoo acoustic guitar which I don't actually gig, but the bass stuff is all quite functional really.

Had more guitars, basses and amps than I can possibly list here (including a fair sprinkling of high end stuff on all counts) - not to mention a pretty well-equipped project studio and an awful lot of PA gear for different purposes. I did start listing it a while ago but it was rapidly turning into a novel so here's the reworked (and somewhat shorter) version:

In financial terms my most profitable instruments were a MIJ '72 RI Tele that was my main teaching guitar for a number of years (and which I then sold for not to far off what I paid for it), a Takamine EN10 acoustic that I still have, a Takamine EG something-or-other electro classical and the Seibass Original that I taught and gigged with quite extensively for some years. All these instruments paid for themselves many times over. I've had a number of instruments that were for specific tasks - still made money from them but not as much as the others (e.g. a Heritage H575 for Jazz gigs of various kinds). One or two were indulgence purchases that I couldn't possibly justify from a business perspective but which I didn't feel the need to justify to myself (if that makes sense). I also have a banjo that was bought for a project that never materialised, and which will be sold on at some point (probably at a considerable loss :( ). The Wal will wind up making me money, but as a sort of accidental investment rather than as a working instrument - not my original intention in case anybody's wondering...

Amps is a more difficult one: the early Marshalls got a lot of work between them and will have been well into positive territory, the Cornford was a teaching amp so that made money too. The Mesa Boogies (Studio .22+ and a Mark III) less easy to quantify financially (Studio got a lot of stage and studio time, Mark III not so much) but I just loved the sound they helped me make so financial justification is probably a bit moot. I had a Polytone for the Jazz work too. I wasn't that fond of it in truth but it did a job, I only paid around £300 for it so it paid for itself and then some. Bass amps is a different story - spent a while finding one that I liked, with both PJB and TCE in and out of the house at various stages before settling on the GB St600 and Vanderkley EXT112 I now have. I don't gig or teach any more so these are technically indulgence items that are unlikely ever make me any money. Thankfully we now have a degree of financial security so I don't need to justify them in business terms.

In general terms, justifying this kind of stuff can be thought of different ways. I had a business to run so I had to think in terms of using equipment to help me make a living. If it did that then it didn't need further justification. If it didn't then I had to accept the loss in financial terms and justify it to myself on the grounds that it was something I loved doing and was prepared to bite the bullet on from time to time.

Having said all that, because they were all items that I ostensibly used for business purposes, they were all tax-deductable. :) And when I closed the business down in late 2010, everything I still had ( including all the studio and PA gear) reverted to my personal ownership to dispose of or keep as I pleased. Could be worse...

Edited by leftybassman392