Why become a member? ×

SOLD! 1961 Fender Precision Bass
£4200

bgmttt

Now [s][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]£3[/size][/font][/color]800[/s] 3700

Here Is my 1961 Precision Bass.

The body is professionally refinished in nitro by very skilled Bulgarian luthier. If anyone is interested, please pm me for his name. He also installed a new bone nut.

Everything else is original. C shaped neck. Slab rosewood fingerboard. The back of the neck is untouched and feels incredible. Pickups are strong and sound great. Truss rod turns with ease.

I don't have bridge and pickup covers.

Bought this bass from Brian ([url="http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/index.htm"]http://www.thelowend...owend/index.htm[/url]).
When I bought the bass, it was finished in very ugly non-Fender color:

This finish was removed very carefully without harm the wood.

Lot of pics of the bass and the naked body here:

[url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x6wfp17y3xa5txr/AACNmO2XyNvxcUUfSiyHPSk1a?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox....fSiyHPSk1a?dl=0[/url]

The weight of the bass is 3.87 kg (8.5 lbs)
The the width of nut is 43.5 mm (1.71 in).

Feel free to ask any other questions.

It is very possible to put the bass in your hand before you buy it-please pm me.

Cheers

Youlian

Edited by bgmttt

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There are some pencil marks on the neck, but they are unreadable. The aluminium plate is included, as pictured. I didn't install it because of aesthetic reasons - I think the bass looks better without it.[/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bgmttt' timestamp='1457349859' post='2997525']
No love for iconic bass...?
[/quote]

I'd guess that people that want Pre CBS, really look something in as original condition as possible...
Saying that it's a fine looking bass and sure it would make somebody really happy. GLWTS.

Just for the record. Regardless of all mysticism surrounding old Fenders, precbs legends, etc, my late 1959 Precision Bass is the nicest bass I have ever played. If this one here feels and sounds like mine, someone will be a lucky bassist.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1457350296' post='2997532']

I'd guess that people that want Pre CBS, really look something in as original condition as possible...
Saying that it's a fine looking bass and sure it would make somebody really happy. GLWTS.
[/quote]

I think this is it - refins take a substantial dive in value for vintage instruments. That said, a bass is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, so someone may be interested.

[quote name='bgmttt' timestamp='1455990217' post='2984371']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There are some pencil marks on the neck, but they are unreadable.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I own a 1962 precision the date of the body is in het pickup cavity in pencil, the neckpocket in this time was fully sprayed shot.
So they didnt use a so called paintstick in this period.
The guy that did the refin might have oversprayed the pickup cavity tho I'm not sure.
A bass like this is not easy to sell, prolly the best thing you could do if your in a hurry is to call a shop that sells vintage basses
and sell it there in consignment, a shop like Andy Baxter e.g. A refinned bass really needs to be played and held before one will actually spend money on it I guess... We are talking serious stack of money...

I had the chance to play this beauty and assure you that it is a gem - super resonant and responsive, the neck profile is to die for, the refin and relicing look quite nice in person. If I was in the marker for a pre CBS this would have been with me by now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, and I just came back to London from Sofia too! Nice city.

Have a bump for a cool bass.

Note to Bgmttt as you seem to be new here; don't get down if this takes a time to sell. Vintage Fenders get a lot of love, but don't always fly off the site. It takes time for folk to come round to buying them. GLWTS

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='three' timestamp='1482485509' post='3200902']
I'm not really a Fender player but I really love this - what a cool, iconic bass and I'd hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks. If this was much closer, I'd be tempted - good luck, understated beauty!
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks for the kind words![/font][/color]

• 4 weeks later...