Why become a member? ×

My band recordings

SaxyBassist

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1455580721' post='2980499']
?
[/quote]

I took the recordings off - no one was interested apart from hiram.k.hackenbacker who kindly pm'd me some thoughts on it - I'm self taught and wanted a bit of feedback so I can keep improving - but then chickened out and took them off as it took me ages to pluck up the courage to post them!! Feel rubbish now :blush:

[quote name='SaxyBassist' timestamp='1455581232' post='2980501']
I took the recordings off - no one was interested apart from hiram.k.hackenbacker who kindly pm'd me some thoughts on it - I'm self taught and wanted a bit of feedback so I can keep improving - but then chickened out and took them off as it took me ages to pluck up the courage to post them!! Feel rubbish now :blush:
[/quote]

It was a month before I got any feedback on our EP. Still waiting for feedback on our live (mostly) unplugged radio stuff and that's been nearly two weeks. That's despite playing by the rules and offering feedback on other peoples' stuff. This forum moves pretty slow, doesn't mean your stuff is bad. Well, at least I hope it doesn't ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1455582209' post='2980504']
It was a month before I got any feedback on our EP. Still waiting for feedback on our live (mostly) unplugged radio stuff and that's been nearly two weeks. That's despite playing by the rules and offering feedback on other peoples' stuff. This forum moves pretty slow, doesn't mean your stuff is bad. Well, at least I hope it doesn't ;)
[/quote]

Ah okay! if you want to listen to them they are on our band website in my sig :-)

Try not to take the lack of responses as a criticism of the music. Compared to the rest of the busy forum, getting someone to actually listen to your tunes is tough! You may see eg "300 views" of your thread, but I'll guarantee of those 300, 200 will move on without listening (can't be bothered/don't have time), 95 will listen for a few seconds and move on (not their cup of tea) and 5 will listen to most/all of it. You got great feedback from 1, 2 thought 'my band's better than that' and the last three quite liked it but didn't leave feedback for whatever reason.

Many of us are really proud of a recording and a lot of work has gone into it, then put it on BC and you get tumbleweed! Don't assume people don't like it, just that they are lazy arses ��

Well done for having the nerve to put it up!

As a classic example, I listened to the Run DMC one on my phone (no bass audible) while unpacking the dishwasher. It sounded fun, if a bit rushed and lacking some funk of the original (notably drumming and vocal phrasing), but overall pretty good. Much better than my first band!
Then I stopped listening as I had to go to work. Such is the hectic life we lead today.

Don't be disheartened ��

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1455582209' post='2980504']
[/quote]

Thanks - I guess I'm used the saxophone forum and many instant responses! :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1455605265' post='2980542']
Try not to take the lack of responses as a criticism of the music. Compared to the rest of the busy forum, getting someone to actually listen to your tunes is tough! You may see eg "300 views" of your thread, but I'll guarantee of those 300, 200 will move on without listening (can't be bothered/don't have time), 95 will listen for a few seconds and move on (not their cup of tea) and 5 will listen to most/all of it. You got great feedback from 1, 2 thought 'my band's better than that' and the last three quite liked it but didn't leave feedback for whatever reason.

Many of us are really proud of a recording and a lot of work has gone into it, then put it on BC and you get tumbleweed! Don't assume people don't like it, just that they are lazy arses ��

Well done for having the nerve to put it up!

As a classic example, I listened to the Run DMC one on my phone (no bass audible) while unpacking the dishwasher. It sounded fun, if a bit rushed and lacking some funk of the original (notably drumming and vocal phrasing), but overall pretty good. Much better than my first band!
Then I stopped listening as I had to go to work. Such is the hectic life we lead today.

Don't be disheartened ��
[/quote]

Yes it's difficult when you have to drag out the headphones isn't it ! Bit easier to listen to a sax recording :D Thanks for the reply anyway and that is useful to know re Walk this Way :)

^ As above, don’t get disheartened by a lack of feedback. All perfectly normal. Even for a forum populated by musicians. In fact, it’s a common trait of [u]every[/u] music forum I’ve been involved with.. [i]perhaps it’s me!?[/i] :blink:

The majority of people who visit Basschat aren’t interested in listening to the music of other amateur musicians. Sad but true. The monthly Composition Challenges engage about 30 ‘voters’, roughly ten of whom tend to be the participants themselves. So that’s 30 people on average, each month, who can be bothered listening to the forums’s ‘highest profile’ member-made music. Just thirty people out of a community of thousands.

The Recording section is itself a quiet corner of the forum. Few people come here, although there is a very healthy and active cadre of regulars who keep it bustling in its own little way. But there’s not enough traffic down here to make the ‘Share your music’ forum really buzz. And not enough time amongst those who [i]do[/i] visit to listen to everything that gets posted.

So those are the facts of the matter. I’d love for it to be different - I’m as vocal as anyone in trying to get this community interested in music, rather than just guitars and amps. But as the old saying goes, “you can lead a horse to water; but you can’t make it drink”. And so on.

So don’t let a lack of feedback faze you in any way. Just keep on posting your music. And also share it on other platforms, like SoundCloud. There [i]are[/i] people out there interested in hearing new music. It’s just that only 30 or so of them are here, on Basschat :)

Edited by Skol303

I'll echo Roland's comments...
It was competently played and definitely fun, though I'm afraid that I feel it's the bass that's rushed - perhaps playing just a little bit more behind the beat with maybe a touch more syncopation would funk it up sufficiently. Either that, or play songs that don't require that sort of groove! (only listened to Walk This Way and Let's Dance, btw)
However, I wouldn't necessarily take any notice of me as my tastes run to free inprov jazz and hard funk, where any melody is taken as a sign of weakness!
:D

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1455625518' post='2980777']
I'll echo Roland's comments...
It was competently played and definitely fun, though I'm afraid that I feel it's the bass that's rushed - perhaps playing just a little bit more behind the beat with maybe a touch more syncopation would funk it up sufficiently. Either that, or play songs that don't require that sort of groove! (only listened to Walk This Way and Let's Dance, btw)
However, I wouldn't necessarily take any notice of me as my tastes run to free inprov jazz and hard funk, where any melody is taken as a sign of weakness!
:D
[/quote]

Thanks for your comments, that's what I thought - just wanted fresh pair of ears on it!! so I need to work on that. The song choices aren't mine I feel they are out of my comfort zone but the band are more than happy with my efforts (I often wonder why!) but I'm not going to complain :)

[quote name='SaxyBassist' timestamp='1455627841' post='2980814']
Thanks for your comments, that's what I thought - just wanted fresh pair of ears on it!! so I need to work on that. The song choices aren't mine I feel they are out of my comfort zone but the band are more than happy with my efforts (I often wonder why!) but I'm not going to complain :)
[/quote]

If your band are more than happy with your efforts then that's a sign that you're doing something right. :)

I feel a bit guilty now as I listened to the tracks when you first put them up but didnt comment! Glad you have put them back up now though.
I have had another listen and I would echo the couple of comments that have already been made about it feeling a little rushed. In particular I think that Walk this Way is just being played too fast to capture the feel and groove of the original but I wouldnt say that it is your bass playing that is driving that just that the whole thing needs to be slowed down a bit and as someone else has said trying to play just behind the beat will help with this. Actually I think you achieve this much better in Mama Told Me where the bass line is a bit more off the beat and to me grooves much better than the other two - really enjoyed that one. Keep it up is all I can say. I am also a late starter on bass and my band will be recording our first demos in the next few weeks so you may well get the opportunity to give some feedback on my playing too if I am brave enough to post it on here!!

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1455630849' post='2980853']
I feel a bit guilty now as I listened to the tracks when you first put them up but didnt comment! Glad you have put them back up now though.
I have had another listen and I would echo the couple of comments that have already been made about it feeling a little rushed. In particular I think that Walk this Way is just being played too fast to capture the feel and groove of the original but I wouldnt say that it is your bass playing that is driving that just that the whole thing needs to be slowed down a bit and as someone else has said trying to play just behind the beat will help with this. Actually I think you achieve this much better in Mama Told Me where the bass line is a bit more off the beat and to me grooves much better than the other two - really enjoyed that one. Keep it up is all I can say. I am also a late starter on bass and my band will be recording our first demos in the next few weeks so you may well get the opportunity to give some feedback on my playing too if I am brave enough to post it on here!!
[/quote]

Aw don't feel guilty - that's just me throwing my toys out the pram lol! :lol: Thanks for the feed back - I do particularly struggle with Walk this Way as I find it too difficult to play on open strings so I play the "triplet" riff hammering on the E string jumping up to the E on the A string - but I really do struggle with it - it's very hit and miss so I'm always tense when I play it!! I think that tends to make me rush - I'm trying to get to the end with as least mistakes as poss!

I enjoy Mama Told Me more than the others as it swings along - which of course for me as a jazz saxophonist I find I'm more in my comfort zone and it just feels more relaxed and laid back :)

How long have you been playing? - Thanks again and I will look out for your recordings and definitely reciprocate the feedback :D

Edited by SaxyBassist

Well, I hardly ever get chance to listen to stuff in here. The only time is during my 9-5 when I remember to bring my headphones and actually have some free time in the office! Anyway, excuses a-side...

It sounds to me like the "feel" of the bass is about right, but it doesn't sound "tight" because the kick drum isn't solid enough. More often than not the only solution is for you to stare at the drummer's kick drum and fit in with their timing, even if it is "wrong" IE I prefer your timing to the drummer's but that doesn't matter, you both have to be together

[quote name='SaxyBassist' timestamp='1455631925' post='2980866']
Aw don't feel guilty - that's just me throwing my toys out the pram lol! :lol: Thanks for the feed back - I do particularly struggle with Walk this Way as I find it too difficult to play on open strings so I play the "triplet" riff hammering on the E string jumping up to the E on the A string - but I really do struggle with it - it's very hit and miss so I'm always tense when I play it!! I think that tends to make me rush - I'm trying to get to the end with as least mistakes as poss!

I enjoy Mama Told Me more than the others as it swings along - which of course for me as a jazz saxophonist I find I'm more in my comfort zone and it just feels more relaxed and laid back :)

How long have you been playing? - Thanks again and I will look out for your recordings and definitely reciprocate the feedback :D
[/quote]

Yeah, you can tell that Mama Told me suited you better. Regarding Walk This Way, I would chat it through with the band about how you play it as a group. All of you listen to the original together and talk through the tempo and the feel, especially you and the drummer.

I have been playing for about 2 years and interestingly enough I am a saxophonist as well, though it rarely ventures out of the box these days. My band is a fairly heavy rock covers 5 piece just getting to the point of gigging.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1455633953' post='2980899']
Well, I hardly ever get chance to listen to stuff in here. The only time is during my 9-5 when I remember to bring my headphones and actually have some free time in the office! Anyway, excuses a-side...

It sounds to me like the "feel" of the bass is about right, but it doesn't sound "tight" because the kick drum isn't solid enough. More often than not the only solution is for you to stare at the drummer's kick drum and fit in with their timing, even if it is "wrong" IE I prefer your timing to the drummer's but that doesn't matter, you both have to be together
[/quote]

Ah that's interesting thank you for having a listen - I must admit people have mentioned the kick drum thing but I've always just gone with the general feel so I will concentrate on that tonight.

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1455634095' post='2980901']
Yeah, you can tell that Mama Told me suited you better. Regarding Walk This Way, I would chat it through with the band about how you play it as a group. All of you listen to the original together and talk through the tempo and the feel, especially you and the drummer.

I have been playing for about 2 years and interestingly enough I am a saxophonist as well, though it rarely ventures out of the box these days. My band is a fairly heavy rock covers 5 piece just getting to the point of gigging.
[/quote]

Yes I'll do that. Same here mine only get played when I'm teaching - poor things are very neglected :huh:

on "let's dance" you can clearly hear the bass drum pushing ahead at the start, where as the bass is desperately trying to settle into the groove. Very obvious again after the first chorus.

I don't know the song very well but it also feels like there's a bass drum beat missing. In the 2nd bar of the main beat, shouldn't there be a kick on the first off beat? (my theory is crap sorry, but that's how I'd play this beat)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1455636290' post='2980934']
on "let's dance" you can clearly hear the bass drum pushing ahead at the start, where as the bass is desperately trying to settle into the groove. Very obvious again after the first chorus.

I don't know the song very well but it also feels like there's a bass drum beat missing. In the 2nd bar of the main beat, shouldn't there be a kick on the first off beat? (my theory is crap sorry, but that's how I'd play this beat)
[/quote]

To be honest the very first time we played it I just winged it from memory!! hadn't heard it for years just knew it really (well but obviously not well enough! :blush: ) and I carried on playing it like that everytime! - It was pointed out to me last night that it's wrong and I've been a good girl and had a listen to the original now!

I'm really bad with this kick drum thing, so I've no idea as I can never hear it - maybe I have a hearing deficiency on that frequency? :unsure: I just kind of go with the feel of the drums when I play - probably why I'm not very good! :huh: :lol:

Edited by SaxyBassist