Why become a member? ×

New-old dbd

andydye

Just got her home and had a proper play back to back with Tom's lovely duke, first impressions are she has a nicely balanced voice to say how inexpensive she was/is and her neck feels really good to play :)

Currently strung with the 'rotosound superb' strings (d & g nylon, e & a monel on nylon core)...I kinda like 'em

She's got oodles of mojo but is still structurally sound :)
[url=https://flic.kr/p/DbbNXV][/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DbbNKR][/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DaRw6Y][/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DZkoqM][/url]

She does currently lack an endpin...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/DX9yEu][/url]
Does anyone have any spare endpin bits lying around please?
Needs a fixing bolt for the endpin and an endpin, it may be cheaper to just get a complete new endpin but an old bit would look right on her and I'm intending to have a wooden endpin made when i resolve the bolt issue (by Ben Bastin as they're lovely and solid).

...at some point she'll need a new fingerboard but she's ok for now ;)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1455529672' post='2979797']
Congrats again Andy. Enjoy :)
[/quote]

Thanks Tom matey, your help has been invaluable :)

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1455536169' post='2979884']
Yep, that's got mojo!
[/quote]

haha, yep she looks 'well loved' :D

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1455537991' post='2979917']
Looks cool. What's it sound like?
[/quote]

Thanks bud, sound...not quiet but kinda mellow and balanced, not boomy but with a nice amount of bottom :) nice even volume across the strings and up and down the neck...surprisingly lovely sounding for an old laminate lady :)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1455538165' post='2979920']
Thanks bud, sound...not quiet but kinda mellow and balanced, not boomy but with a nice amount of bottom :) nice even volume across the strings and up and down the neck...surprisingly lovely sounding for an old laminate lady :)
[/quote]

Not that I know your taste but that sounds absolutely perfect..... Does she have a sister? :P

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1455539412' post='2979946']
Not that I know your taste but that sounds absolutely perfect..... Does she have a sister? :P
[/quote]

she does sound great played solo but I want to try her in ensemble to see whether she gets lost or occupies a niche ;)

Sister? I have no idea where or when she was born to know whether she might have a long lost twin out there somethere, that would be nice to find out though... :D

You could offer up the plain shank end of some different diameter drillbits to find the correct diameter for a replacement endpin, as far as the retaining bolt goes, you'll have to do that by trial and error, the bolt on my strunal is M8, the most likely sizes to try would be M8,M6,1/4",5/16" I would think, just dont force anything.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1455539692' post='2979951']
You could offer up the plain shank end of some different diameter drillbits to find the correct diameter for a replacement endpin, as far as the retaining bolt goes, you'll have to do that by trial and error, the bolt on my strunal is M8, the most likely sizes to try would be M8,M6,1/4",5/16" I would think, just dont force anything.
[/quote]

Now that, sir, is a brilliant plan! Thankyou kindly :)

The bass looks like my Czech Cremona from 1960 (pre Strunal). They were cheap instruments, but although the thin laquer wears off easily, It's built like a tank. The plywood used for the top is pretty thick and therefore probably not so resonant as more recent DBs, but the sound is even as you say. And the mojo of course ;)

[quote name='ljbass' timestamp='1455573903' post='2980438']
The bass looks like my Czech Cremona from 1960 (pre Strunal). They were cheap instruments, but although the thin laquer wears off easily, It's built like a tank. The plywood used for the top is pretty thick and therefore probably not so resonant as more recent DBs, but the sound is even as you say. And the mojo of course ;)
[/quote]

Hello there :) Oo now that is exciting, do you know of any ways to confirm that? I can't see any markings inside but I haven't shone a torch in there as yet ;)

How do you have yours setup and what strings do you have on it? I'm wanting to switch from the rotosounds to some weichs as they take arco pretty well on the duke I'm borrowing

It just reminded me my DB but I don´t know how to confirm, Try to look here http://www.uptonbass.com/SOLD-1960s-Czech-Ply-Upright-Bass-double-bass/ or at some other pictures. I think things like the head, tuning machines, finish, colour or body shape are obvious.
I´ve bought mine with ebony fingerboard, which is not original, and it took some work - resetting the neck, fixing the the top and back here and there, new bridge - but the playability is great now. I´ve had Presto Balance steel strings first, but changed them to Innovation Rockabillys actually and I like the sound and the feel much more.

[quote name='ljbass' timestamp='1455628444' post='2980820']
It just reminded me my DB but I don´t know how to confirm, Try to look here http://www.uptonbass.com/SOLD-1960s-Czech-Ply-Upright-Bass-double-bass/ or at some other pictures. I think things like the head, tuning machines, finish, colour or body shape are obvious.

I´ve bought mine with ebony fingerboard, which is not original, and it took some work - resetting the neck, fixing the the top and back here and there, new bridge - but the playability is great now. I´ve had Presto Balance steel strings first, but changed them to Innovation Rockabillys actually and I like the sound and the feel much more.
[/quote]

...well that does have some striking similarities! The plate holding the tuning pegs is identical and the body shape and pinstriping too, f-holes are slightly different shape but it's very very similar indeed :)

Suspect mine might need a new fingerboard as the current (original) one has a Romberg bevel and feels a bit weird...it does work fine though so might persevere...

Innovation rockabillys, I shall have a look at those, ta for the tip :)

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1455539692' post='2979951']
[/quote]

Just taken the brass part of the endpin into an ironmongers to see if they had a bolt that would fit and it's an imperial size which does suggest an older bass to me.

An M5 bolt is just ever so slightly too large so I'll get a wingbolt M5 and see if I can recut the thread in the brass part which will then give me a working endpin for about 25p :) and if it doesn't work it's not the end as I suspected a new endpin would be needed anyway...

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1455631435' post='2980858']
With the exception of the tuners, your bass looks very similar to my Strunal 50/4, take a look at the pics here
http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_double_bass_europe_1e_bd_34.htm
and see if you can see the resemblance. It would be interesting to make a direct comparison with the two basses next to each other in the same room.
[/quote]

there are some similarities indeed matey, there is an air of age about her though, the tarnish on the tuners in particular...happy to get them together once I've managed to sort the endpin problem :D

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1455633042' post='2980884']
An M5 bolt is just ever so slightly too large so I'll get a wingbolt M5 and see if I can recut the thread in the brass part which will then give me a working endpin for about 25p :) and if it doesn't work it's not the end as I suspected a new endpin would be
[/quote]

Imperial-wise, it will be 3/16ths, UNF (which equates to about 4.8 mm) and should be easy enough to het hold of.

Edited by philparker