Why become a member? ×

Home-made beeswax polish - thoughts?

Kev

I have had two blocks of pure beeswax in my bits box for a while, so decided to do something with it. I chopped some up, melted with some olive oil, cooled and now have made myself what appears to be a lovely guitar wax for use on my oil finished basses. Started by rubbing some in to my Warwick bass and buffing off, seems to do a cracking job.

Anyone else do this? I am wondering if there are any pitfalls to using a polish that is quite literally just pure beeswax and olive oil.

I've always found pure beeswax based waxes get a little sticky underhand. Ones with Carnubra in seem to dry harder.

For the price of a tin of Briwax that will last you 10 years of waxing warwicks and you *know* works I don't know what the benefit would be of making your own...

I think it's more traditional to dissolve beeswax in turps (turpentine) to use as a wood finish, the point being that the beeswax is carried into the wood grain by the turps which then evaporates leaving just the wax behind. Olive oil is never going to evaporate and will likely leave things sticky and oily.

http://cambridgetraditionalproducts.co.uk/blog/turpentine-versus-white-spirit-in-beeswax-furniture-polish

Edited by 4stringslow

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1455470595' post='2979370']
For the price of a tin of Briwax that will last you 10 years of waxing warwicks and you *know* works I don't know what the benefit would be of making your own...
[/quote]

Re the BRIWAX . . . . which one do you recommend for cleaning up a Bass ? . . . . they seem to market loads of different products . . . most of which don't look like they'd be suitable for polishing up a bass ? . . . however one's called "Briwax Sheradale" . . . . is that the stuff ?. . . . or is it just the Briwax original . . . which seems to be coloured ?

Beyond that and re the original post . . . . I'd say Beeswax = Good for wood . . . . Olive Oil = Not so good . . . . ?

:)

Edited by Nostromo

[quote name='Nostromo' timestamp='1455526072' post='2979728']

Re the BRIWAX . . . . which one do you recommend for cleaning up a Bass ? . . . . they seem to market loads of different products . . . most of which don't look like they'd be suitable for polishing up a bass ? . . . however one's called "Briwax Sheradale" . . . . is that the stuff ?. . . . or is it just the Briwax original . . . which seems to be coloured ?

Beyond that and re the original post . . . . I'd say Beeswax = Good for wood . . . . Olive Oil = Not so good . . . . ?

:)
[/quote] I use the original which you can get in clear...

Most waxes (e.g Liberon and Briswax) are a blend of waxes such as Beeswax and Carnuba. Though there is nothing wrong with just Beeswax :)

Briswax offer so many colours in case you are using it on a porous piece of wood which has not been grain filled. So whatever wax is left stuck in the grain will not be glaringly obvious if you get the right colour.

The best wax out there (in my opinion) is Renaissance wax, which is refined from crude oil and was developed for the British Museum. It outperforms all other waxes in durability and makes the wood feel lovely :). Perhaps best of all is that surfaces which have been treated with it will not show fingerprints like other waxes will!

Edited by Manton Customs

I only thought to do it as I already had the beeswax and oil it would cost me nothing. It has left my Warwick looking rather lovely and feels good, however I think I'll probably just buy a tin in the future :) don't like the idea of the word 'rancid' associated with my basses haha!

It took me a while to work out that Briwax have two different lines of wax polish in almost identical looking tins. "Briwax Original" contains Toluene, which is really unpleasant if used in a poorly ventilated area and will strip a Tru-Oil finish right off (which confused me as several people had recommended using Briwax with Tru-Oil), while "Briwax" uses less unpleasant solvents. The only visible difference seems to be the word Original on the tin, and many shops will sell the two interchangeably.

I managed to track down a 8oz bottle of Lemon Oil for about £7 recently - looks like a lifetimes supply with the amount you need. I've also got a tin of Cuprinol clear wax which has a "very high VOC" warning - apparently contributes to atmospheric pollution. Who would have believed furniture polish contributes to Ozone depletion??

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455494404' post='2979655']
I think it's more traditional to dissolve beeswax in turps (turpentine) to use as a wood finish[/quote]

This, with real turpentine, not the manufactured stuff ^

and you can use pure olive oil as a wood finish, I've done it many times on wooden bowls that will be used for food. But - of which there's always one - the trick is to do the polishing while the bowl is still on the lathe. I assume it's the high speed turning that seals the oil in.

Edited by Big_Stu