Why become a member? ×

Love that Trace Elliot sound.

TheGreek

I have 5 Trace heads, an AH200-7S which I bought new in 94, an AH100, a 200watt head unit from a combo which is still waiting for me to fix it, an AH200 GP12 which I bought for £35 last year, all these are Series 6, and my most recent addition, an AH250 GP12 SMX, which is in need of a little tlc.

Edited by verb

Love that trace sound. Although my main amp now is an Ashdown CTM 30, I still have my SM series 150 as a back up. I've also owned a SM7215 combo, and a V type 4808 combo. I always found the SMX over the top for me, and think the SM preamp is a fantastic, simple to use.preamp. The v type is an amazing preamp, and despite the combo weighing as much h as my car, I miss that instant smack in the face sound of the 4 8s sitting on a 1 x15. I've always been complimented on my sound, and for a long long time, it was always through a Trace.

A shame to hear there will be no class-D from Trace :( I would dump my TC in a heartbeat !! but, still good to hear/see that the brand is still (mostly) held in high regard by the community - says he who has an Eden 'Traveller' in their piccy :ph34r: ... did manage to acquire a GP11 AH-250 head for 200 quid just before Xmas. It needs minor cosmetic work & has a non-working uV lamp, but it's just how I remembered the one I had in the 90's - loud, predictable if a little unsophisticated : "the grass aint always [color=#008000][b]greener[/b][/color]" ... should have known really!?!? :D

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1456238709' post='2986908']
I bought two Trace Elliot amps. I bought the second one because I'd forgotten why I sold the first one. Now I've sold both of them, I'm hoping I'll remember not to buy any more.
[/quote]

Harsh. Funny but harsh

Now have GP7 200 and AH150-7 heads, a 7215 combo, a 2x12 cab and I'm picking up a 1x12 angled cab on Friday. If anybody tells you that GAS is all in your head DON'T believe them...it's real!

At least I know what I'm getting ([i]including the bad back[/i]) and not chasing that elusive tone.....

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1455284058' post='2977779']
Just bought ([i]TBH it was a steal!![/i]) a Trace Elliot head from the Amps For Sale section - it's been a few years since I last owned/played through a TE and I'd forgotten how much I loved the tone. Smooth, rich and yet still gives a kick in the ribs to anybody who dares to walk past.

TE are seen to be a bit "dated" - "[i]80s equipment"[/i] - so as a result are fetching ridiculously low prices considering what you get for your money - I dare you to try one without falling in love with one again.
[/quote]

+1

Very recently bought an AH300 head from TimAl and although it's taken a while to get my head around it (as it's 30 years since I last had a Trace amp), it sounds bloody marvellous!

And it really, really is ridiculously loud!!

You're not wrong about that kick in the ribs', Mick.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1457775727' post='3001664']
just got hold of GP12 series 6 amp, anybody know what the black rocker switch does on the back? maybe something to do with the ohms load?
[/quote]

If it's a longer and thinner rocker than the main power switch then it's probably the ground isolation control to help reduce hum when connecting to external gear.

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1457778799' post='3001691']
If it's a longer and thinner rocker than the main power switch then it's probably the ground isolation control to help reduce hum when connecting to external gear.
[/quote]
I think that's the one, cheers

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1459277632' post='3015093']
just found this for anybody interested in TE gear [url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/#!trace-manuals/c1mt9"]http://www.britishau...e-manuals/c1mt9[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks - that's really helpful! :)