Why become a member? ×

Love that Trace Elliot sound.

TheGreek

My band love my 7215 combo and have asked me not to sell it but they aren't in a rush to help me load out either. Just wondering what extension cab might help give it a bit more warmth? Although it's rated at 200 watts it competes with two guitarists, drummer and vocal pa with never being turned past 6 o'clock.

bloody hell, I've got a TE 300 watt combo, but I think they forgot the anti gravity treatment for it, I've only used it once at a gig before deciding my back couldn't take the punishment, just got hold of a TE 1x 15 300 watt cab, I'm going to have to renew my search for a TE head after reading this thread, you bastards

I love that video - Johnnie Walker is the perfect voice-over man, always seems to be on the verge of giggling.

For me it is the amps that makes Trace Elliot, not the cab. I put mine through a Barefaced Supercompact so have a balanced carry, weight-wise - cab in one hand, amp in the other as they are similar weights. As you say, best of both worlds.

It took me years to buy my first TE rig. It was a 1210 combo with a 1518c bass bin....awesome sound! I only had it for 2 years and the amp died for no reason I was gutted and very disappointed. It was a common fault with this model apparently. I lost all faith in TE gear and the amp was a write-off. Never touched a TE amp since.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1455571315' post='2980405']
Ive had a few TE heads, the Series 6 being the pinnacle for me. SM's also great due to their simplicity. I'm probably the only person who never really gelled with the SMX.
[/quote]

What sound wise is the difference between the series?
I used to use a 1x15 combo, no idea what series - but the 7 band EQ at church - and admittedly I didn't spend long fiddling but it was a very 80's sound with my active pupped Warwick.
Now I'm thinking it wasn't the greatest cab ever but I'm intreaged to try trace stuff again (that twin valve combo for sale looks awesome)
Sound wise what would I be expecting from the different series?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1455572396' post='2980419']

I used to use a 1x15 combo, no idea what series - but the 7 band EQ at church - and admittedly I didn't spend long fiddling but it was a very 80's sound with my active pupped Warwick.
Now I'm thinking it wasn't the greatest cab ever but I'm intreaged to try trace stuff again (that twin valve combo for sale looks awesome)
[/quote]
There's not a lot in it to my ears, apart from the SMX which I always felt sounded restricted somehow compared to earlier models.
The series 6 came as either 7 or 12 band, mine is the latter.
The SM is 7 band, with the brilliant eq balance control, and two preshapes if that's your bag.
Sound wise my Series 6 is harmonically richer than my SM. It just has that edge for me. I'm generally rubbish at explaining these things, I'm afraid.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1455572396' post='2980419']

[/quote]

I definitely wouldn't say that the Twin Valve is representative of the signiature TE sound - it's less scooped and more, well, valvey

Just saw this on one of the "for sale" pages on Facebook... now THAT'S what I call that great Trace Elliott tone... Yikes!

Zoinks!

PS no connection/interests etc... just thought it was a stonker of a photo...

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1455613422' post='2980594']
Just saw this on one of the "for sale" pages on Facebook... now THAT'S what I call that great Trace Elliott tone... Yikes!

Zoinks!.

PS no connection/interests etc... just thought it was a stonker of a photo...
[/quote]

I bet that can just about handle a loud drummer haha. My combo came from a similar setup two combos and two extension cabs I'm not sure the benefits of doing it that way? I guess never pushing the equipment hard is one, but surely the effort of loading and unloading would be such a pain. Good if your leaving the equipment on site tho.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1455575792' post='2980463']
There's not a lot in it to my ears, apart from the SMX which I always felt sounded restricted somehow compared to earlier models.
The series 6 came as either 7 or 12 band, mine is the latter.
The SM is 7 band, with the brilliant eq balance control, and two preshapes if that's your bag.
Sound wise my Series 6 is harmonically richer than my SM. It just has that edge for me. I'm generally rubbish at explaining these things, I'm afraid.
[/quote]
The SMX didn't feel restricted to me, but having said that it's the only Trace I ever owned so I've got no AH or S6 experience to compare it to. What I did really like about the SMX was its flexibility, with the two preshape errm shapes :) and the superb dual band compressor with eq balance. I loved it.
A lightweight amp with an SMX front end would go straight to #1 on my GAS list, in fact I'd buy one without hesitation.

I'm on my 3rd Trace amp now, having had other stuff in-between-years. Managed to get the last AH600 head going at Bass Centre in Bagshot. A tad heavy, but insanely powerful. I disagree with Mr 40Hz: the [Mid] Pre-Shape is a superb feature, getting rid of honkiness, and you can build on it with the EQ.