Why become a member? ×

Anyone use a kassoiilator?

Do you mean a Kaoss Pad? The Kaossilator is more of a touchpad synth, rather than something you run an instrument through.

I can't vouch for the full size Kaoss Pad, but I can say that the mini KP version is not really suitable for running a bass through.

Thanks linear.
The kaos pad is in the same series. It can be used with a kaossilator pro.
The kaossilator is synthy. I have seen bass plugged into it.
Apparently , you can record loops and overdub.
I may pull the trigger and buy one on the bay .

The small ones look too fiddly . Not quite what I'm looking for

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Memory Lane!
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/236837-anyone-plugged-their-bass-into-a-kaossilator/"]http://basschat.co.u...-a-kaossilator/[/url]
That thread has a lot of info.

Again:
A Kaoss Pad is an effects unit. It always allows the input of an audio signal.
A Kaossilator is a synth with a looper. Advanced versions of it allow the input of an audio signal.

Either thrives with your fingers on its X-Y control surface, which may not always be handy for bassists.

These units come/came in four different sizes, of which the largest ones are the most advanced. (Actually more models existed, but here I'm referring to the usual ones: the mini, regular, Quad and Pro lines.)

Up to now, I only own the two sizes in the middle, and there's nothing fiddly about them IMO and they're very well built and seem to last forever, but the larger the control matrix, the easier it is to hit the right spot.
Personally, I will buy both the Kaossilator Pro Plus and the Kaoss Pad 3 (Pro?) (Plus?) in addition to the ones I already have - not as an exchange.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1455300812' post='2978040']
When you say that the K Pad is an effects unit with an input, could it be used just like a bass guitar effects pedal to play synthy sounding basslines?
[/quote]

Yup. Depending on the model, you can expect effects ranging from your everyday regular effects like reverb and delay, to more synthy ones - some of which self-oscillate and can be played melodically on the X-Y pad.
If the goal is to only have a bass synth effect unit, then my guess is it's quite limited, in that only a few of the effects are in that general area.

As I haven't got the most interesting ones yet (Kaossilator Pro and Kaoss Pad 3 in any of their versions), I don't know how to use the sampling or what it does. Initially I'd assume you can loop the samples. Think of a DJ in electronic dance music as the original target market for these units, and I guess you're in the right area.

Edit: looked it up, and the samples can not only be looped, but also one-shotted.

This is Korg's own explanation of the first versions of the big ones:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxEdOSusYzs[/media]

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1455309425' post='2978151']
Thanks BT. I'm thinking that maybe a Future Impact is more what I'm after
[/quote]

Noooooo! Think of the lag!
You need the Instantaneous Impact! ;)

But yeah, that sounds like a more natural choice to me too.

Edited by BassTractor

• 2 months later...