Why become a member? ×

Bands that are 'samey'. You know what to expect, but still love 'em

I love Anthrax but i don't honestly think they ever bettered the Among the Living album. Iron Maiden seem to make every song they write an epic nowadays. It's been good recently seeing Rock Goddess make a comeback with their original lineup. I wish the Hamsters and Dumpys Rusty Nuts were still playing but i don't think we'll see them back. I still regularly go to see Hawkwind and the Hawklords.

I'd had enough of Maiden by the mid 90s.

Had seen them several times by then. Live they're an amazing band (or were, I saw them at the O2 in 2012? and wasn't too impressed.)

Marrilliion have also lost some sparkle since the mid 90s.

Not so sure about Rush. They tend to be ever so slightly different. There's almost an imperceptible shift between one album and the next. But I think that's academic now if they're packing it in (unless that's just playing live?)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1455193440' post='2976843']
None to be honest. I was a big RHCP fan, but after BSSM everything sounds identical to me.
I like my music to have some variety.
[/quote]

See that's where I become a RHCP fan, from Californaication. I think their more melodic music is more to my taste than their earlier stuff. There last album, I'm With You, has some great songs on and looking forward to their new album, hopefully this year.

Stereophonics are a band that I continually buy but in reality their albums could merge as one.

Is it me, or is it increasingly a problem with a lot of modern rock bands? I'm basing a lot of this on groups who are "breaking through/on the way up" that I've seen live (and not knowing their studio albums in many cases), but I've found a lot of them sound like they're repeating themselves after the second song.

(Or am I just turning into a grumpy old git?)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1455194325' post='2976870']
Is it me, or is it increasingly a problem with a lot of modern rock bands? I'm basing a lot of this on groups who are "breaking through/on the way up" that I've seen live (and not knowing their studio albums in many cases), but I've found a lot of them sound like they're repeating themselves after the second song.

(Or am I just turning into a grumpy old git?)
[/quote]

I find this is a common thing when I see a lot of new bands. I often can't really distinguish much differences other than the key of the song.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1455194659' post='2976881']
Muse - in the way that you can always play the "what song have they blatantly ripped off for this one" game.
[/quote]

Even more confusingly there seems be a whole new batch of bands coming through that sound a lot like Muse.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1455137448' post='2976410']
I've just been listening to anthrax's later stuff. Another metal band I know ;) . I know what I'm getting , but they're still giving it some and it's still sounding good .
[/quote]

Its interesting that you picked Anthrax. I think they have had two distinct 'sounds' - The Belladonna and Bush eras. The Bush era being much less 'thrash'. While the 'sounds' are different, within that sound the tracks could be a bit samey album to album.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1455193610' post='2976845']
There are few bands that you can genuinely say you have no idea what to expect. Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of is The Cardiacs.
[/quote] Queen. This was, of course, helped by the fact that all 4 of them wrote their music.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1455193610' post='2976845']
There are few bands that you can genuinely say you have no idea what to expect. Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of is The Cardiacs.
[/quote]

I think Radiohead quite often surprise you when they bring out something new.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1455206901' post='2977065']
Mastodon and I'm a big fan too... hence why they're falling down festival line ups.
[/quote]

Not sure I agree with that, the Remission/Leviathan sounds different to Blood Mountain, which definitely sounds differnt to Crack The Sky, which again sounds different to The Hunter and Once More Around The Sun.

Personally I wish we could have back the Mastodon who wrote Remission and Leviathan, but I get why they've progressed.

As for bands that always do what you expect, I'd go for Slayer - you know what they're going to do, and wouldn't have it any other way

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1455150470' post='2976568']
I love Anthrax but i don't honestly think they ever bettered the Among the Living album. Iron Maiden seem to make every song they write an epic nowadays. It's been good recently seeing Rock Goddess make a comeback with their original lineup. I wish the Hamsters and Dumpys Rusty Nuts were still playing but i don't think we'll see them back. I still regularly go to see Hawkwind and the Hawklords.
[/quote]

Rock Goddess are back?? Jody Turner was my first serious muso crush (hawtness!!)

A

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1455215773' post='2977187']

Not sure I agree with that, the Remission/Leviathan sounds different to Blood Mountain, which definitely sounds differnt to Crack The Sky, which again sounds different to The Hunter and Once More Around The Sun.

Personally I wish we could have back the Mastodon who wrote Remission and Leviathan, but I get why they've progressed.

As for bands that always do what you expect, I'd go for Slayer - you know what they're going to do, and wouldn't have it any other way
[/quote]
Crack The Skye is a masterpiece IMO... best metal album of the 00s.