Why become a member? ×

Thinking of quitting bass. Opinions please

Twincam

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1455196412' post='2976913']
When was this? How old were you?
I can imagine that if you're 16-18 and half the class at school are looking for a band who'll gig their 18th Birthday for free, or for free beer, you can get away with it.

Iike Sausage, above, I'm 56. I've never gigged. I started bass when I was 50. My repertoire is negligible. Most bands expect a 56 year old to be seasoned musician. It's fine thinking you can busk through with roots and 5ths, but unless you can get the right genre on the play-list you'll struggle to make covers sound right, surely? You may be ok with 12-bar blues, but funk is going to be something of a challenge.

My day job has me getting up at 6am and I don't get finished until 8-9pm some nights and I can't plan when those nights are going to be. So rehearsals are always going to be at weekends; when most bands want to be gigging.... now it's me feeling like I'm going no where!

And that's why I play weird stuff (for a bass player) at home.
[/quote]

It was 2009 and I was 33. I'm telling you I was a lazy so-and-so until I joined a band. Then I HAD to get good, or get lost.

I've been playing on and off for 14 years, had a big break (few years) after leaving a band but started playing again two years ago and really enjoying it again.
I go through phases where I think I'm not anywhere near as good as I should be, but when that happens I turn the amp up, forget about trying to play properly/correctly and just play simple things which sound good, the extra volume helps!
Always makes me feel better at least, then chances are next time I pick it up i will have got past those doubts/annoyances from the previous time.

Good luck man and keep your head up, most people on here think they're sh*t compared to everyone else

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1455183861' post='2976689']
As well as advertising check out local jam nights - go along and watch for a couple of times, talk to the folk running it, be open about your ability. Most of the jams I know are very supportive places, and often the best musicians there will be the ones that help you along the most.
[/quote]
IMHO - This is possibly the best way out there to hone your chops and get comfortable playing to a crowd. You get to play with loads of different people, different styles of music etc...

I started playing Bass at 14 - didn't join a Band until I was 19, but stayed in that same Band until fizzled out when I was about 27 (a whole other thread that could be too). My point being that for those 8 years, all I played was the songs we wrote - and when the band stopped , I became acutely aware of how my playing had not progressed at all in that time. After that I basically barely played at all for a couple of years.

A good friend of mine (actually the same one who taught me the basics when we were 14) had become a bit of a face on the local Jam nights suggested I should go along to a few. I'll never forget how my guts felt when I was beckoned up to play for the first time after being out of the game for a while. But I did it and kept going and soon became a bit of a face myself! Even formed a covers band out of meeting people on Jam nights which lasted for 4 years.

I've been to a few however which can feel a bit of a closed affair - you just know that the person who's running the night is gonna play most of the night and only his best mates are gonna get a look in. But there are good ones out there, run by good people!

[quote name='Sausages' timestamp='1455194856' post='2976888']
This is true for me also. I find it difficult to find anyone to play with nowadays. I am 52, so that makes it more difficult......
[/quote]

I'm of a similar age, and I'm playing more genres and with more musicians then ever now
The thing is, getting older has somehow made it easier for me to meet other musicians and bands...
I probably had more hang-ups about other musical genres when I was younger
and somehow, I'm meeting more musicians than ever now I'm older

Go & join in with some open-mic nights, meet other players, of all sorts of music

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1455184826' post='2976706']
I joined a band when I don't even think I could play a whole song through. You're never going to be "ready" enough, so just do it ;)
[/quote]

This.

get out there, and feel the pressure... you'll improve really fast.
Also, maybe don't wait for teh perfect band. My first band on bass was not exactly the kind of music I wanted to play... but it did wonders for my playing andmotivation, and gave me a better view of what my level was compared to other bands out there... it also allowed me to meet other musicians, some of which I joined latr in other projects for something I liked better... You can't get many contacts while sitting at home.

I would stick at it if I was you. I have been learning for around the same time as you,and I am not very good. I have had loads of lessons, and know theory better than I can play. Treat it like a journey with no end if it is your hobby, as it is mine. As for playing simple songs that any bass player can play is probably not 100% true. Whatever songs you can play, try something similar, but maybe a tad more technical. It is no good trying to go from Bon Jovi to Victor Wooten in 3 years. I have times when i hate playing, so I put it down for a week or so, and come back better, and enjoy every small goal that i achieve. Keep at it, and don`t listen to other people who are not encouraging. Especially not people who can`t play, as they don`t realise how much it takes to get where you are. What you have achieved so far, hundreds of thousands have failed,

Edited by timmo

Hi Twincam,

What a great place Basschat is - there are so many encouraging points and useful ideas above. The fact that you've come here to seek advice seems to say a lot about how much you value bass playing.

One thing that I would add is that [i]style[/i] is so often overlooked in favour of proficiency. I have been playing for almost twenty years and I'm far from a great player. However, I have my own unique style, as do you. Nobody can take this away from each of us, irrespective of a lack of perceived skill or indiscipline in practise.

I would also reiterate Bigjas' point that there is a great deal to be gained from the journey. I find that practising [i]perseverance [/i]can benefit many other things in life.

I still take lessons when I hit a plateau and explore all the great resources available online too.

All the best,

Tobie

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1455139007' post='2976435']
I need to stop worrying and rethink my goals. When I started I would of been really pleased with my current ability.
[/quote]

Absolutely.

I don't imagine many people ever get to the point that they think they're great at playing. Normal people at least. I frequently feel embarrassed at my ability when playing with other musicians but it's at a level that would have impressed me three years ago and that would have probably blown me away when I was fifteen.

I'll echo what others have said... join a band. It makes a huge difference to your playing. Don't just go for bands who advertise themselves as beginners... a lot of bands oversell themselves.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you're looking online for bands in the North East you're best bets are probably these two, they seem to get more ads than the others.[/font][/color]

[url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/durham-f109.ht"]http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][url="http://biggingergitsgigpit.proboards.com/"]http://biggingergits....proboards.com/[/url] You need to register[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There's a couple of Facebook groups - North East Musicians and Bands / Musicians From the North East could be worth a try.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gumtree goes days with nothing.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1455196412' post='2976913']
When was this? How old were you?
I can imagine that if you're 16-18 and half the class at school are looking for a band who'll gig their 18th Birthday for free, or for free beer, you can get away with it.

Iike Sausage, above, I'm 56. I've never gigged. I started bass when I was 50. My repertoire is negligible. Most bands expect a 56 year old to be seasoned musician. It's fine thinking you can busk through with roots and 5ths, but unless you can get the right genre on the play-list you'll struggle to make covers sound right, surely? You may be ok with 12-bar blues, but funk is going to be something of a challenge.

My day job has me getting up at 6am and I don't get finished until 8-9pm some nights and I can't plan when those nights are going to be. So rehearsals are always going to be at weekends; when most bands want to be gigging.... now it's me feeling like I'm going no where!

And that's why I play weird stuff (for a bass player) at home.
[/quote]

I'm 55 and my repertoire is still negligible. I can play the 20 or so songs that the current Terrortones set is made up from, and right now if I concentrated very hard might be able to busk my way through another 20 or so of the hundreds that that I've learnt (or written) over the past 40+ years that I've been playing. However unless the music was extremely technically challenging I'm sure I could come up with something half-way decent in a couple of goes jamming with a new band.

Also even though I've been playing for a long time I'm still at best a technically average player. I'm sure that a lot of people doubting their abilities in this thread can far outplay me, and so if I can be in a good band pretty much anyone can!

Hi Twincam,

I felt sad when I read your OP so I’m glad to see you’ve received so much support here on Basschat and that it seems to have made a difference and you’re feeling better about your bass playing.
I can’t really add any extra (sensible) advice to what’s already been offered but if you’ll allow me to lighten the mood slightly:

Mrs Ag was reading this thread over my shoulder when suddenly she piped up with, “So his GF thinks he’s not very good – she should be glad he’s not playing the trumpet or violin – THEN she’d know what “not very good” sounds like!!”

Made me laugh anyway.

Just remember you’re the best at being Twincam on bass.

Glad to hear you're carrying on. Your thread has reminded me of just how many good, friendly and helpful people there are on the Basschat forum. You may not be in a band, but you're definitely a valued member of this bass-playing community - and that's got to be worth at least as much!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455323388' post='2978269']
I think anyone who has thoughts of quitting playing under the OP's scenario was never really in it.

Blue
[/quote]

Well I think it was just frustration and I do have goals and at times they seem so far away, also I am hard on myself and can get really down about my playing ability the fact I get that down about it suggests I am "in it". I know you started playing at a young age and I honestly wish I taken it up earlier.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1455305267' post='2978105']
Glad to hear you're carrying on. Your thread has reminded me of just how many good, friendly and helpful people there are on the Basschat forum. You may not be in a band, but you're definitely a valued member of this bass-playing community - and that's got to be worth at least as much!
[/quote]

Indeed bc is a great forum it's actually helped me a few times when I've really needed it and I know it has others too.

On the SBL academy they encourage you to join a practice group. How each group is run is up to the group but they meet online on Skype or Google Hangouts and chat about what they're doing to practice.

I guess one of the purposes of this is to get this sort of motivation and encouragement.

Not sure if you read music.

After nearly 20 yrs on and off I'd become sick to death playing the same old pub rock type tunes..and so I had a six month break.

I then realised that in order to keep sane I had to learn to read....and it's been a life saver. I cannot explain the excitement I get from playing Big Band to Bach, Sinatra to simple jazz (Im still a novice) reading the dots..its changed my musical life completely. In fact I don't think I ever want to go back to playing those same old pub rock tunes....ever, or for that matter anything without music.
Learning to read has been a revelation.

Just my 0.02p

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455323388' post='2978269']
I think anyone who has thoughts of quitting playing under the OP's scenario was never really in it.

Blue
[/quote]
Sorry but I massively disagree. I nearly quit 6 months after first starting bass. I had lessons for a few weeks and then my teacher broke his back... I lost interest and became bored of the instrument. Fortunately, I got put in touch with a new teacher who was great and really inspired me to play better. The last 15 years have been a blast.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1455382179' post='2978674']

Sorry but I massively disagree. I nearly quit 6 months after first starting bass. I had lessons for a few weeks and then my teacher broke his back... I lost interest and became bored of the instrument. Fortunately, I got put in touch with a new teacher who was great and really inspired me to play better. The last 15 years have been a blast.
[/quote]

You took a break, you didn't quit. If anything you were only temporarily out of it.

I say, if you don't like rock and roll or people the whole band thing won't be much fun. And while I still maintain it's a business, if your not having fun, get out.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455477906' post='2979478']
You took a break, you didn't quit. If anything you were only temporarily out of it.

I say, if you don't like rock and roll or people the whole band thing won't be much fun. And while I still maintain it's a business, if your not having fun, get out.

Blue
[/quote]

He's right, you know.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1455130787' post='2976299']
My girlfriend thinks I should quit and said I'm clearly not enjoying it, when that's not true I do find it frustrating but I think I'm happy learning I think. And she also said bluntly at times I am not very good, which really got to me, it wasn't meant to but it basically really hurt and depressed me.[/quote]

Do what makes you happy, not what makes your girlfriend happy.
Play easier tunes to start with.

Look at Youtube tutorials if you can't do lessons in person.
Good luck.

Edited by 12stringbassist

What a great thread, so much encouragement and sound advice. As a guitarist of some 50 years plus (off and on) experience, and having just acquired my first bass to do some basic home recording, I've found the advice priceless.

The thing is, many of the suggestions are great for other instrument players, who are having similar doubts.

As a guitar player, if I see pub / covers / function bands, there are many players better than me, but find solace in the fact that I could do as well on some songs, better on others and nowhere near on a lot, but often with a better tone and more suitable volume.

Great sounding players, doing it right all through the gig are very rare, guitarists, bassists etc., but a competent solid performance is so often very effective, especially (dare I say it) with bassists.

Twincam, if you were nearer, I'd suggest meeting up, but hopefully you will find some fellow musicians to jam / practice with soon. In the meantime keep practicing.

I, for one will be following your progress, as I am sure will many other forum members........Don't Give Up.......