Why become a member? ×

Thinking of quitting bass. Opinions please

Twincam

I'm going to chime in with Rocksmith too. That's kept me playing when I've not had a gig to practise for and is a ton of fun.

I've been playing for about 25 years and I'm still crap. That's my problem. If you decide to stick with it, here's some tips:

1) Stop looking at youtube heroes.
There's a million of them out there, kids with nothing else to do but play for 12 hours a day and they put stuff on youtube and annihilate almost everyone's skillset despite the fact that they're 16. Even then you'll still get some commenter saying they suck. Ignore these people, they have nothing else in their life and it is unrealistic for someone with any kind of life to reach that level.

2) Join a band
Others have said it but nothing gets you better than bouncing off other people and NEEDING to get better. Worried you suck? Who cares? There's a band out you that sucks harder than you do, go find them.

3) Technical proficiency isn't actually that important
As a bass player doing stupid runs is not your focus, your focus is to keep the band together, create the groove and play what's right. That's one thing I think is unique about bass in your standard 4 piece is you're the only ensemble instrument, the rest are solo-tastic. Musical understanding > Technical proficiency.

4) You have bad days/weeks/months
I have days where I play with something and feel like one of the great 70s disco bassists, and then I have days where my fingers have turned into dicks and flop against the strings uselessly. The whole point of practising in my eyes is so if you have dick fingers in the middle of a gig it doesn't destroy everything. At the end of the day the main thing is knowing this happens, so if you practise one day and it's terrible know that today you've just got dick fingers and there you go.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1455178723' post='2976622']
I used to teach for a living. If you want to PM me I'll be happy to offer a bit of free advice about practice techniques, routines and schedules. No agenda, no pressure, no charge.
[/quote]

Does that apply to all of us :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1455179578' post='2976630']
you don't have to join an established band if you feel that's too much of a leap - advertise for a starter band and see where it goes - once you find people you get on with,I guarantee it will reignite your passion for playing. Do it. Do it.
[/quote]

Yes I think I would maybe like to be part of something new.

So how exactly do I go about seeking a starter band or any tips in general for finding a band. Do I have to write novice bass player seeks band.
Zero idea how I would go about this. What to say.

It's god to hear that you're going to give it another whirl. Being told by a loved one "you're useless at that", is a real killer for your confidence. So you should take that into consideration when you're weighing things up.

I first picked up a bass before t'internet and had 2-3 lessons from a guitarist who didn't really know bass. Bass fell by the way-side and a good few years later my then new wife saw the bass I had, coaxed me to play a bit and on the strength of a few wobbly bars of [i]Smoke on the Water [/i]informed me I was useless. I never touched it again for 24 years. What a waste of time that was.

If you doubt your own ability, try going out to some local gigs and see how often you see a bass player and think, "I can play better than that". It'll be more often than you imagine.

BTW, if your gf thinks you're not much good, how come she's taking lessons from you? No need to answer that.

Good luck

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1455178383' post='2976620']
If you're a little worried about joining a band because of your skill level, make an ad and be totally honest in your advert about where you feel your at?
Include in it that you just want to get in a band for the enjoyment first and see where it goes. Say the types of songs you want to play, or can already play.
This way you're going to get people who are thinking along similar lines to yourself.
Practice can be tedious when it has no purpose. Arrange to meet people to play through a few songs, and you got yourself a purpose!
For me, there is no feeling like hearning your bass in the context of a full band. Beats solitary practice hands down.
[/quote]
This :)

Glad you are feeling more positive.

Just want to add my own encouragement to join a band. It doesn't have to be a gigging band, just a bunch of mates (or new friends) who get together to make music. I was lucky in that I was invited to join in with some friends who jammed every Friday after work as a wind down. I'd only been playing 3months and it had taken me that long just to learn to finger pick a steady eight beat, strictly on the root notes. (think With or Without You all on the E string). I've never felt so nervous in my life, I nearly fled)

3 hours later my life had changed, we'd made music!

I'm still not great, well not very good at all after 7 years playing, but I gig most weekends now I've played in several bands and still can't believe my luck.

Just making music in private with a couple of other people is a joy in itself. If you want an easy first step then go along to an open mic or two. You don't have to take your bass just listen, you'll hear some rubbish and some things that are pretty good. When you are ready see if you can pick just one song and ask if you can join in.

Good luck

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1455180168' post='2976637']...
So how exactly do I go about seeking a starter band or any tips in general for finding a band...[/quote]

[url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/durham-f109.html"]Join My Band, Durham ...[/url]

[url="https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_category=all&q=bassist&tq=%7B%22i%22%3A%22bassis%22%2C%22s%22%3A%22bassis%22%2C%22p%22%3A0%2C%22t%22%3A12%7D&search_location=County+Durham"]Gumtree, Durham "Bassist..." ...[/url]

Probably others, such as local music shops..?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1455180168' post='2976637']
So how exactly do I go about seeking a starter band or any tips in general for finding a band. Do I have to write novice bass player seeks band.
Zero idea how I would go about this. What to say.
[/quote]

It's quite easy... You put an advert up on Gumtree detailing what your looking for, type of music, commitment level etc. Explain everything about the sort of project you'd like to be involved in, location etc. Make sure you put "bassist available" or similar in the title so it shows up when people search.

...then you spend weeks wading through hundreds of emails from kids in metal bands with "industry contacts" until you find something suitable :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455181651' post='2976659']
...then you spend weeks wading through hundreds of emails from kids in metal bands with "industry contacts" until you find something suitable :)
[/quote]

Total LOL. "WE'RE GONNA HIT THE BIGTIME! YOU CAN'T JOIN THE BAND UNLESS YOU QUIT YOUR JOB!"

Listen to links.... Pants....

If you enjoy it do it ,if not just have a break but don't sell your gear .I'm the worst bass player I know , Do I care ? No .
dabble with different styles not just what is popular .Try getting a band together ,But make sure all the people are on the same page ,Don't just choose them because they are good at what they do , Getting someone in a band that you don't get on with will put you off quicker than anything .
Get a small PA if you want to form a band , I found it made it so much easier .

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1455181291' post='2976653']

[url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/durham-f109.html"]Join My Band, Durham ...[/url]

[url="https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_category=all&q=bassist&tq=%7B%22i%22%3A%22bassis%22%2C%22s%22%3A%22bassis%22%2C%22p%22%3A0%2C%22t%22%3A12%7D&search_location=County+Durham"]Gumtree, Durham "Bassist..." ...[/url]

Probably others, such as local music shops..?
[/quote]

Cheers I shall have a look into this later on

For me, playing Bass is all about the journey, not the destination. I am not the greatest player but enjoy learning new songs, even the easy ones. I have been in a few bands over the years, not high profile bands with exceptionally talented musicians, but local pub bands with nice guys and girls at a similar level to me. Try advertising on 'Join my Band' or similar stating what your after. There are a lot of other musicians in the same position as you looking for a starter band.

Jas

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1455132640' post='2976329']
Are you in a band? If not join one now!
[/quote]

That's easier said than done, I've been playing bass for coming up to a year and really enjoy it. But trying to find like minded individuals who are at the same level as myself and who enjoy the same music as myself (Motown, etc) and who would like to get together for a jam etc is nigh on impossible.

I joined "Join My Band" in a hope of getting together with other musicians but if you're not already a well established bassist with a minimum of 20 years experience and a back catalogue of every genre of rock (plus must be aged 18 - 23) then you'll be very fortunate to find anyone.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1455132640' post='2976329']
Are you in a band? If not join one now!
[/quote]

Yup. Playing with other musicians is one sure way to improve your playing. As well that, it's bloody good fun if you get in a band with people who you get on with.

Three years isn't a huge amount of time to become super proficient on an instrument as Douglas said.

There has been the odd time where I was a bit fed up with it but found that giving it a break for a week or so, or trying things completely new and out my comfort zone.

As well as advertising check out local jam nights - go along and watch for a couple of times, talk to the folk running it, be open about your ability. Most of the jams I know are very supportive places, and often the best musicians there will be the ones that help you along the most.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1455139007' post='2976435']
The people I jam with are I would say at a decent level and have told me I can play but I'm playing such basic stuff nearly anyone could play it.
[/quote]

I know I'm the 10th person to quote this but... There's a difference between playing a basic bassline properly, and basic playing. It's true that most people could hit root notes and 5ths pretty much in time, but would it "feel" right? I guess your 3 years of learning has developed your sense of how to play the bass so that while you might be playing basic lines, you're playing properly. I'm sure we've all heard a lead guitarist pick up a bass. They normally play the right notes, and pretty much at the right time, but it "feels" all wrong

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1455181993' post='2976666']
For me, playing Bass is all about the journey, not the destination. I am not the greatest player but enjoy learning new songs, even the easy ones.......

....There are a lot of other musicians in the same position as you looking for a starter band.

Jas
[/quote]

As Jas says, it's about the journey as much as anything.
I think you may just need to take a step back a little, just for a while - but don't sell your gear!
Definitely join a band. That's the best thing - making music with like-minded pals, and seeing other people tap their feet, sing along or dance

So many of us look to other bass players for inspiration. We can beat ourselves up, for not achieving their levels of ability
But think how many keen footballers out there, who will never be as good as their heroes, like Ronaldo or Gareth Bale?
That doesn't mean they should give up. It's partly about realising your own strengths & weaknesses.

Improve on those weaknesses as and when you can, but others may see strengths you yourself don't realise you have
That's one way joining other musicians can help - they may see & hear something in you, that you weren't aware of...

I gave up playing for over 20 years - and boy do I now wish I never had. I had to start over again....
I often think how much better I'd be, if only I found time to practice for a few hours a week
It's a shame your G/F thinks you should give up - but maybe she's only seeing the downside of your mood?
Sorry to hear your hand is a problem. Perhaps a doctor could suggest some strengthening / stretching exercises?

Hang in there mate. I'm nowhere near as good as I should be either....
But then at my age, every time I'm loading the car, I ask myself why I haven't got a road crew too ;)

I've been playing 40 years and am still rubbish. You never stop learning. As someone else said, it's the journey. If you enjoy it, why stop? Don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others. There's always some monster player who will make you feel inadequate. That ain't the point. Music is not an Olympic sport.

Edited by Dan Dare

[quote name='Lloyd P' timestamp='1455183068' post='2976678']
That's easier said than done, I've been playing bass for coming up to a year and really enjoy it. But trying to find like minded individuals who are at the same level as myself and who enjoy the same music as myself (Motown, etc) and who would like to get together for a jam etc is nigh on impossible.

I joined "Join My Band" in a hope of getting together with other musicians but if you're not already a well established bassist with a minimum of 20 years experience and a back catalogue of every genre of rock (plus must be aged 18 - 23) then you'll be very fortunate to find anyone.
[/quote]

This is true for me also. I find it difficult to find anyone to play with nowadays. I am 52, so that makes it more difficult. One thing I would say, is that a lot of the stuff that [i]some[/i] people on Join My Band post is inflated, and is often complete bs; this is counter productive as it puts some folks off, and annoys better players when they turn up and see the reality. I have seen bass players looking to form bands who play great sounding slap solo's but can't play basic stuff in time, for example. I wish they wouldn't exaggerate, but such is life. I played guitar then, but am now a basic bass player. Living in Norfolk doesn't help either :lol:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1455184826' post='2976706']
I joined a band when I don't even think I could play a whole song through. You're never going to be "ready" enough, so just do it ;)
[/quote]
When was this? How old were you?
I can imagine that if you're 16-18 and half the class at school are looking for a band who'll gig their 18th Birthday for free, or for free beer, you can get away with it.

Iike Sausage, above, I'm 56. I've never gigged. I started bass when I was 50. My repertoire is negligible. Most bands expect a 56 year old to be seasoned musician. It's fine thinking you can busk through with roots and 5ths, but unless you can get the right genre on the play-list you'll struggle to make covers sound right, surely? You may be ok with 12-bar blues, but funk is going to be something of a challenge.

My day job has me getting up at 6am and I don't get finished until 8-9pm some nights and I can't plan when those nights are going to be. So rehearsals are always going to be at weekends; when most bands want to be gigging.... now it's me feeling like I'm going no where!

And that's why I play weird stuff (for a bass player) at home.