Why become a member? ×

Are Electro-Harmonix 6L6EH good valves? (+advice on valves)

Lord Sausage

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1455126501' post='2976236']
I need some advice on valves and amps being fixed....
[/quote]

Is there a reason for not exposing your case here..? You may get some unexpected valuable replies posted for the benefit of all. Just sayin'.

My mate as took his amp to be fixed. He and I are both idiots. A guy as explained what's wrong and what is solution is. It sounds perfectly reasonable but we wanted to check with people who may know. My mate knows the guy he's took it to a little bit. He is an electronics and amp fixy guy. Its probably paranoia but i didn't want to lay the problem out on here and the guy turn out to be a member here as he's a amp guy. If do we would give the impression of not trusting him!

If EHX are still making their valves in a former Soviet radio factory in Russia, then the valves will be OK but nothing special. Always amuses me when people describe their Soviet music gear like Polivoks synths being made in military radio factories as though that's a good thing. The design was rudimentary, the QA non-existant. In the case of the EHX valve factory, it's mostly derelict!

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1455146420' post='2976538']
If EHX are still making their valves in a former Soviet radio factory in Russia, then the valves will be OK but nothing special. Always amuses me when people describe their Soviet music gear like Polivoks synths being made in military radio factories as though that's a good thing. The design was rudimentary, the QA non-existant. In the case of the EHX valve factory, it's mostly derelict!
[/quote]

Yeah, EHX valves are just re-branded Sovteks as far as I know. There are better valves available.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1455652594' post='2981215']
Yeah, EHX valves are just re-branded Sovteks as far as I know. There are better valves available.
[/quote]

Not rebranded, but from the same factory. Just like about 30 percent of tubes on the market, many brands but from one factory.
You can only buy Russian made tubes, Chinese made tubes and JJ made in Slovakia.

JJs are usually fine, I've not used their 6l6 but I like their 6v6 and I'm about to use a pair of their E34L in another amp. They're made in Slovakia and generally have a reputation for being quite rugged. I'm not sure why he would go for second-hand, as they're in current production and not overly expensive, but if they test OK and he's not charging you new prices I wouldn't worry.