Why become a member? ×

5 string P bass on a budget

ead

What, in the view of the BC illuminati, would be a good way to sample a 5-string P bass for not too much money in case the concept didn't work for me and it would need to be moved on at minimal loss? Say up to £300 is possible.

Squire Vintage Modified Precision V, without a doubt! Very well reviewed all around.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid30085/cid682/squier-vintage-modified-precision-bass-v-in-candy-apple-red.asp

Also the Yamaha BB415 or 425 can be picked up very cheaply too, the added bridge pickup gives you more options. I really rate these, but it's the only one out of these 3 that I've owned:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Yamaha-BB425-5-String-Bass-Guitar-Black/D9R

Or if you want ultra budget around the £100 mark, Harley Benton from Thomann. Still great basses for the money by all accounts.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hot_rod_5_bass.htm

Edited by dannybuoy

If you can find an OLP MM3 5 string then these are well worth a punt.

They look virtually indistinguishable from an actual stingray and they play very well indeed. The other plus is that some people love them so if you get a bargain on one you will probably sell it for what you bought it for. I bought one for £150 and sold it for £150 18 months down the line.

Alain
I have a 5 string vm Squire P and i actually really love it! I've got the D'addario chromes on (thanks bud 😉) and it's a lovely bass to play. I find the neck very comfortable, it's very light and sounds really good. I roll the tone right down as I find the pickup very harsh when full on. I'm actually using it more than my Spector at the mo,I keep thinking I'll sell it as I do prefer a rosewood board and 4 strings on a P, but for the money id get I wouldnt get anything as good..
All in all worth a punt 😆

I've got one of the Harley Benton PJ's.
Got it as a Deko for the princely sum of £43.73 delivered. Even with the newly installed Wilkinson Vintage Bridge, (the stock item isn't that good) and new CTS Pots, Orange Drop Capacitor, Switchcraft Jack and some beefy cloth wiring, it still comes in at only £83,45. You wouldn't lose much moving that on.
You are more than welcome to borrow it if you want.
We rehearse, (when we rehearse), in Chorley so getting it to you shouldn't be too much of an issue.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1455056698' post='2975596']
Really after something in the P bass line or possibly a P/J rather than an MM style bass. WHat about ESP basses e.g. a B55?
[/quote]

ESP basses are rarely mentioned or recommended around these parts. They are probably perfectly good basses on a par with the others suggested, but perhaps they're just unfashionable due to their image as mainly producing pointy guitars for metal players, so resale value won't be as good as the other options.

Thanks all, useful info. I'll give your most kind offer some serious thought MrBB.

What are the neck dive issues like on these basses? Are the necks firmly in P bass territory for general lack of slimness?

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1455093179' post='2975710']
Thanks all, useful info. I'll give your most kind offer some serious thought MrBB.

What are the neck dive issues like on these basses? Are the necks firmly in P bass territory for general lack of slimness?
[/quote]
You are welcome Alain. Just let me know and we'll sort something out.

I'm another Squier VM Precision 5 owner, they're really cracking for the money (I paid the princely sum of 130 for mine secondhand) the neck is very precision like, a nice amount of heft but not too much.

mine is actually getting a fair amount of use even though I mainly bought it as a backup to my Letts 5er

Matt

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1455093179' post='2975710']

[/quote]

The Yamaha BB425 has a nut width of 43mm which is smaller than the Precision and Jazz

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1455094444' post='2975718']
Alain,

I have a BB425x and you could always have a go with it.
[/quote]

And thanks to you too young Vince. Are we not due for a catch-up soon, and what do I need to know about Reflections?

Edited by ead