Why become a member? ×

Go West..remember them....tidy basslines...Pino?

iconic

I remember these boys burnt very brightly for a short while in the 80's with a great first album.

We Close Our Eyes came on the radio yesterday and I was thinking that's got a busy 'n tidy chorus bass line.

Was this some of Pino's stuff? I do seem to remember in my murky memory, that Richard Drummie was also multi-instrumentalist?

as usual youtube has a We Close Our Eyes cover and some other Go West lines, I do like a bassline that picks out the melody.

https://youtu.be/qcjEyOc6B3g

Great band. No idea who was on bass but it was the late great Alan Murphy on guitar I believe.

Saw them some years ago on one of those weird 80's revival gigs supporting Tony Hadley (not as his backing band) They were brilliant.

Edited by leschirons

I've been seeing Go West since they started - back then I wasn't a bassist so had no idea who was playing but was more appreciative of Alan Murphy's innovative guitar style. When Go West 'stuttered' he moved on to Level 42 and did some great stuff with them - 'Heaven in My Hands' particularly.

I'd say that just at the moment Go West are playing as well live as they ever have done - the current band are absolutely fantastic and Peter Cox's voice has matured into something quite special. I saw them late last year at IndigO2 with Nick Kershaw and it was a totally awesome show - nigh on perfect sound and a perfect performance. My only disappointment is that, bizarrely, they seem keen on playing covers which, for a band with such a wealth of great material, seems such a waste.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1454928783' post='2974179']
Good bass lines - I always had a thing about their female backing singer

Edit:
Katie humble
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_West_(Go_West_album)
[/quote]

I've met Katie a few times, she's a really lovely lady! Pretty sure she told me it was Pino on a couple of their albums too.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1454933177' post='2974252']
Saw them at Bristol Colston Hall in [i][b]1836[/b][/i]. Great band (it wasn't Pino on bass but I cannot remember who it was)
[/quote]

Both Richard and Peter have worn really well from what I see. ;)

Edited by iconic

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1454930644' post='2974209']
Didn't Jaz Lochrie do a lot of work after the album came out....
[/quote]

Yep, then spent many years in Mama Mia, as well as
the Paul Rodgers gig.

EDIT. When typing Rogers, make sure you read before you post.
I didn't, but I think I got away with it.:)

Edited by lowdown

Pino played on their early albums but Graham Edwards played Bass as part of their early touring band, They've also had Chris Childs as well as Jaz, Saw them a couple of times about 10yrs a go when they had Greg Harewood on bass with a lovely sounding Fodera..

Edited by Bassman68

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1454933177' post='2974252']
Saw them at Bristol Colston Hall in 1836. Great band (it wasn't Pino on bass but I cannot remember who it was)
[/quote]
Was he playing acoustic double bass ? I'm sure Leo hadn't invented electric bass at that point

[quote name='Bassman68' timestamp='1454935862' post='2974306']
Pino played on their early albums but Graham Edwards played Bass as part of their early touring band, They've also had Chris Childs as well as Jaz, Saw them a couple of times about 10yrs a go when they had Greg Harewood on bass with a lovely sounding Fodera..
[/quote]
Graham also played on Dancing on the Couch and Bangs and Crashes. :)

I think it was Chris Childs that played on the early stuff, I met him at a gig in Wales when I was doing sound for a touring club band, I was talking to him about Paul Young's No Parlez album and he said he used to share a flat with Pino, they had both started learning Fretless at the same time and in his works "he left me for dust"

Given the CV's of the band I was working with I have no reason to assume that he wasn't who he said he was

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1454954184' post='2974578']
I think it was Chris Childs that played on the early stuff, I met him at a gig in Wales when I was doing sound for a touring club band, I was talking to him about Paul Young's No Parlez album and he said he used to share a flat with Pino, they had both started learning Fretless at the same time and in his works "he left me for dust"

Given the CV's of the band I was working with I have no reason to assume that he wasn't who he said he was
[/quote]

I didn't realise their past was linked- funny because I saw Chris in SW London around '99 in a blues band and his style of playing had an air of solidity and subtle flair that reminded me of Pino. He's a(nother) lovely player.

Edited by chardbass

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1454961726' post='2974667']
Go West always just sounds like a total drum machine backing to me.

Am I alone on that?
[/quote]

The sound had more to do with Gary Stevenson's production - I've seen them live several times over the years (on the same bill a few times) and they always have a fearsome band. The classic early lineup (Pino on bass, Tony Beard on drums, Alan Murphy on guitar, Peter-John Vettese on keyboards) was astonishing, but the current live band are no slouches either. They gig regularly - go and check them out.