Why become a member? ×

Gilbert O'Sullivan

steve-bbb

I like all sorts of pop music, never been worried about things being "uncool", but Gilbert O'Sullivan is one of just a small handful of acts I really can't enjoy (even odder considering I really quite like Dean Friedman's Lucky Stars). I did think it was an oldie until I heard it for the third time in three days.

A guy who can writs the following lyrics is someone to be treasured in my opinion

Excerpt from "Alone Again Naturally"

"Looking back over the years, and whatever else appears,
I remember I cried when my father died, never wishing to hide the tears.
And at sixty five years old, my mother, God rest her soul,
Couldn't understand why the only man she had ever loved had been taken.
Leaving her to start with a heart so badly broken.
Despite encouragement from me, no words were ever spoken.
A d when she passed away, I cried and cried all day.
Alone again, naturally."

Sheer poetry.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1454874401' post='2973835']
Never liked his music in the 70s and it hasn't improved with age. There again, neither have I .
[/quote]

I'm with you on this one Pete. When Mrs Axe brought home James Blunt's second album, one of the tracks immediately reminded me of GO'S, and that was very much a Bad Thing.

A great songwriter and lyricist who, like many great artists, gets remembered for his look and his 'pop' hits. I don't have any of his stuff but that Alone Again Naturally lyric is really deep. Ian Shaw has recorded a stunning version of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8UbNFnYWw8

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1454930567' post='2974208']
[media]https://www.youtube....h?v=SoAYK9tjWMQ[/media]
[/quote]

For some reason, I didn't get that to work (Win10 / Chrome), but it must be this, yes?

Edit: I found out why. Somehow, your link had been truncated in such a way that the part we normally see of a long link text (as in: with "...." in place of a long string) now had become the link text itself.
Anyway, here it be:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoAYK9tjWMQ[/media]

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1454933972' post='2974268']
I always get muddled up with Gilbert and Leo Sayer...may have been 'cos of the haircuts...which one did Get Down?

Great song smith.
[/quote]

Gilbert. About a dog allegedly :)

Ray ( real name ) moved to Jersey here in 1985 . I used to mow his lawn . :lol:
He is somewhat of a recluse , although local bands have recorded at his home studio .

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB4lleFl9-Q[/media]

- Jersey only allows a finite number of Wealthy Immigrants in each year . Ray was the first musician but now we have .........the legend Jack Casady ! B) . ( Neither have approached me playing the street pianos . :laugh1: . Yet. )

" Nothing Rhymed " is a cracking song . He wrote it at 18 .

I like Gilbert O'sullivan and remember in the early 70's, being in a night club watching the drummer do his stuff from The Peddlers. Great solo and just after this I mentioned to my mates that I was with that I liked Gilbert O'sullivan and the song "We Will".
Well...........much laughter, sneering, mocking and finger pointing ensued from the haters when one young lady from a nearby table said that she also liked him. Lovely girl and we had a few hot nights together after that, and then went separate ways.
She's probably someone's Nan now, or even Great nan.
Funny old life.
:)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1454872155' post='2973801']
I like all sorts of pop music, never been worried about things being "uncool", but Gilbert O'Sullivan is one of just a small handful of acts I really can't enjoy (even odder considering I really quite like Dean Friedman's Lucky Stars). I did think it was an oldie until I heard it for the third time in three days.
[/quote]

Lucky Stars was so cheezy it was brilliant. Even better in my opinion was Arierl (spelling), great bass on it.