Why become a member? ×

Upcoming NAD, cleanest amp?

40hz

I know these types of posts are somewhat maligned and I should know better having been knocking about this site for 6 years or so! But, Gonna pull the trigger on a new amp to go with my Markbass NY122, not interested remotely in overdrive, grind or 'hair' (not anymore anyway!) Looking for the purest, cleanest, most composed sound I can get. Something that speaks clearly at volume and doesn't get too mushy. There's so much choice out there it's mind boggling. Budget is £500 there or thereabouts. If any of you fine people could point me in the direction of something that fits this criteria I would be most appreciative :)

Edited by 40hz

Throw in the TC BH 500 or BH800 to the mix too. very clean sounding but if you want you can dial in a bit of TonePrint sounds too including compression or overdrive if you find that you miss it for the odd song.

Edited by dood

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1454848865' post='2973466']
Throw in the TC BH 500 or BH800 to the mix too. very clean sounding but if you want you can dial in a bit of TonePrint sounds too including compression or overdrive if you find that you miss it for the odd song.
[/quote]

I love TC gear (pedals are fantastic } but didn't even think to check out the BH series as I thought it might share tonal similarities with it's bigger brother the RH (quite vintagey and tubey). Seems this isn't the case judging from your review and general consensus online, The toneprint feature and the way the EQ works with the cut and boost being different frequencies seems very well thought out. Not to mention 550w. Good call Dood!

On mention of Glock, seems perfect but out of my price range sadly!

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1454859533' post='2973611']
I love TC gear (pedals are fantastic } but didn't even think to check out the BH series as I thought it might share tonal similarities with it's bigger brother the RH (quite vintagey and tubey). Seems this isn't the case judging from your review and general consensus online, The toneprint feature and the way the EQ works with the cut and boost being different frequencies seems very well thought out. Not to mention 550w. Good call Dood!

On mention of Glock, seems perfect but out of my price range sadly!
[/quote]

Thank you 40Hz! - Yes, indeed the RH series has a nod towards valve amplifier simulations but the BH is a different beast. No power management as it isn't articulating the characteristics of a valve power section and the top and bottom end reaches further in the BH. The 'all dials at 12' setting has got to be a favourite amongst the 'clean' amps I've had the pleasure of reviewing, but I'd like to play some more with the toneprints to get 'my kind' of bite (watch this space) but it's a very capable amplifier indeed. I think the other point I'd make is that it's not a'cheaper little brother' to the RH either.

And it has a tuner on board. One less box to carry! ha!

I've found Glockenklang to be the cleanest amps I can find, having tried various GK, Genz Shuttle stuff and most of the other usual suspects in the "modern" camp, I've stuck with the Blue Soul for over a year now and couldn't be happier with it. It's easy to confuse "clean" with "scooped" and I'd say that Glockenklang gear is essentially just an amplification of the tone of your bass. The EQ is very usable but to be honest I rarely even have it switched in.

Things have moved on a bit now and Glockenklangs latest Class D (the Blue Rock) looks even better, although it is outside the £500 budget new... You might be able to find a Blue Soul or a Blue Sky used though...

Edited by CamdenRob

Perhaps an LM800? I've always thought of it as being slightly more 'clinical' sounding than the LM2. Could be the difference in power amp design or maybe just the additional clean headroom from being a little more powerful, but there's certainly a difference and it may suit.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1454940852' post='2974399']
'[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TecAmp Puma...the cleanest I've ever heard'[/font][/color]

And there's one in the for sale section ;)
[/quote]

Pumas are really the benchmark clean amp.