Why become a member? ×

Online hearing test... Frequency

fretmeister

The test, I suppose is pretty meaningless if you are using listening equipment that isn't calibrated. Laptop speakers, ear buds and even some professional 'cans' do not accurately reproduce sound as it is at source and thus could have the effect of boosting or cutting those high frequencies - in fact any across the range.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1454770540' post='2972822']
The test, I suppose is pretty meaningless if you are using listening equipment that isn't calibrated. Laptop speakers, ear buds and even some professional 'cans' do not accurately reproduce sound as it is at source and thus could have the effect of boosting or cutting those high frequencies - in fact any across the range.
[/quote]

It does say: 'Please note, due to the large number of uncontrollable variables involved here, this is not a scientifically rigorous test, but a rough indicator.'

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1454770540' post='2972822']
[/quote]

This. Unless carried out under controlled conditions this kind of test is, at best, a bit of fun. It is true that hearing extension goes with age and extended exposure to noisy environments, but how a 'test' like this can accurately assess that is a bit of a stretch TBH.

Didn't somebody post this a year or two ago?

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1454773746' post='2972883']
I took a professional test after a car smash - the audiologist reckoned the on-line stuff was not to be trusted.....

:)
[/quote]

Of course it can't be trusted. It even says it can't be trusted. And of course a professional audiologist says it's not to be trusted. Otherwise he or she would be out of a job.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1454771628' post='2972844']
It does say: 'Please note, due to the large number of uncontrollable variables involved here, this is not a scientifically rigorous test, but a rough indicator.'
[/quote]

I didn't see that bit. Hmmm... clever reverse psychology. It appears I don't need hearing aids, but better glasses!!!!!!!! :) :)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1454774444' post='2972895']
I can hear the high pitch cat scarers that some people put across their gardens , I don't know what frequency or volume it is , but considering most of the people who put them there can't hear them I was pretty pleased with that !!
[/quote]

Me too. Of course my Dad refuses to believe me as they are supposedly beyond human hearing! I can also comfortably hear the doggie tone at the end of Sgt Pepper.
I just took the test - 17,181. I'm 34.

This reminds me of a time we were setting up before a gig. Of course there was the inevitable piercing shriek of feedback at some point, to which we all jump and instinctively cover our ears - all except our singer who watched us bewildered. He genuinely didn't hear a thing.

The perils of not wearing earplugs at rehearsals, kids!