Why become a member? ×

Grace Jones.

bubinga5

Androgynous has a theme with me.. the supreme musical women i listen to. well a couple anyways.

She is EPIC in my opinion.Powerful personality, i pick and choose what i like from her because its not all good. some of her music is sh*te.

She plays bass, piano and vilolin, but I'm wondering if anyone takes the time to find out. She's a monster in lots of ways, . I think she's fantastic and when she does good music, she does it very well. I love her version of Edith Piaf's, 'La Vie En Rose'. as do i love, Warm Leatheret, Private Life and, I've Seen that Face Before. Nipple to the Bottle. and of course Pull up to the Bumper and Slave to the Rhythm.

She's as original as they come and when her music is good its amazing.. That's why i dig her. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crVVcW6JvuU[/media]

anyone tell me the actor at the start of this record gets a gold star. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THt7o6dzMuw[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1454756418' post='2972623']
Absolute shi*e live though. Was persuaded to spend some hard earned cash to go and watch her Karaoke show - basically her singing along to backing tracks. Loads of people walked out during the gig. I was hoping for a bit of Sly and Robbie but was more like Mr Blobby.
[/quote]
Which is a shame as she's good with a live band.. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crsb7fdWflU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crsb7fdWflU[/url]

Always find it odd when an artist like her chooses to do the PA gigs rather than the full live set - I know costs and the audience she's playing to are contributory factors but any live stuff I've seen with her in a band context has been excellent - quite edgy and she feeds off the band..

Without the band it was flat and boring. She doesn't have a great voice, its all very monotone - almost like talking. She got a bit feisty when peeps started walking out and tried to energise the crowd by getting some audience members to come up on stage.

It was a bit tragic - like a mediocre caravan park entertainment night where she was the Cabaret act who featured after Bobby Bigwoood's Balloon Animal show.

I heard a story about one of her recording sessions, for 'cannibal'. Apparently she was late, so was rung up to find out when she'd arrive. 'An hour' she replied. No show after several hours. A call was made, and the process was repeated several times. Eventually the session was abandoned for that day. Turns out she was in Ibiza. The session was in London.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1454756418' post='2972623']
Absolute shi*e live though. Was persuaded to spend some hard earned cash to go and watch her Karaoke show - basically her singing along to backing tracks. Loads of people walked out during the gig. I was hoping for a bit of Sly and Robbie but was more like Mr Blobby.
[/quote]Its a shame you had that experience. She is as mad as a box of frogs yes, but when its a good live Grace Jones gig, its a good Grace Jones Live experience.

I don't think Sly and Robbie had much to do with the STRR album- it was more of a Trevor Horn project. An amazingly-well produced one at that 😀
Robbie S was involved in some of the numbers on Island Life which featured the song STTR though.

Edited by chardbass

As the owner of both Warm Leatherette and Island Life, yup - i dig the nutter.

But especially Sly and Robbie ..those 2 are just mustard

But i'm in agreement with OMR above... the pretenders version of Private Life is just so much more emotional , for me anyways. Its Hynde's unusual voice, JHS beautiful guitar sound and that awesome but simple bass line