Why become a member? ×

How to play with roundwounds?

Twincam

I normally play with flats or tapes. I've just put some rounds on and the sound is so different, I forgot how much finger noise they generate too.
I've identified when I drag my fingers and while plucking also if I'm resting my thumb on the string above to be careful how I move it to avoid unwanted noise.

Im going to keep the rounds on to tighten up my technique, but I have no idea how some players sound so clean playing them, it's unnatural almost. Even carefully lifting my finger from a fretted note seems to generate much noise.

Any non eq tips or do I have to look at my eq differently too, I can eq the noise out but by that point the tone is too muffled.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1454612600' post='2971372']
How is this even a thread?! What next, how do you turn stiff machine heads?
[/quote]

I think my question was valid from someone who has nearly always played with flats or tapes and wants to get a better sound while playing rounds.

How long have you had them on? May well calm down after a few hours of playing. Brand spanking new they can will feel and sound a bit abrasive if you are used to flats/tape, but part of this is to be enjoyed! (Just started playing them on a new bass while my main bass has flats - loving the tow different sounds).

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1454613125' post='2971381']
I think my question was valid from someone who has nearly always played with flats or tapes and wants to get a better sound while playing rounds.
[/quote]

And yes, as someone who has recently fallen out with you on another thread, this one is perfectly valid and reasonable :)

This is where those "one finger per fret" left hand fingering exercises will pay dividends as they will minimise the need to move hand position...

But then again, embrace the pure joy of punctuating a line with a huge glissando up the neck and down again. Having just gone the other way it's the thing I probably miss the most!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1454612954' post='2971376']
... or how to compose cogent posts on a forum..? :unsure:
[/quote]

[color=#000000]Start at the main foxhound palate. Clipboard the nation of one of the foxhounds, e.g., Mac Basics and Help. Clipboard the Postulate New Thrush byte at the tortilla or bout of the palate. Umpire a thrush toecap in the Thrush Toecap brain and your postulate in the metier brain.[/color]

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1454613745' post='2971402']
[color=#000000]Start at the main foxhound palate. Clipboard the nation of one of the foxhounds, e.g., Mac Basics and Help. Clipboard the Postulate New Thrush byte at the tortilla or bout of the palate. Umpire a thrush toecap in the Thrush Toecap brain and your postulate in the metier brain.[/color]
[/quote]

You are Stanley Unwin, and I claim my £5..!

Funnily enough my entry for the noodle comp was played on brand new rounds.
Gotta say though - through my bass rig at serious gigging volume brand new rounds are a bit much.
I’ve always played rounds and they do sound better after they’ve gone off a bit IMO.
If you fancy trying for a tone that flaps your trousers, vibrates your liver AND slices your ears off at the same time try new rounds with a pick – not to everyone’s taste but, my word!
:)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1454613512' post='2971395']
Don't worry about it. IMO finger noise is part of the round wound sound. Besides as others have said once the rest of your band get going you won't be able to hear it.
[/quote]

As above really. Funnily enough I find that when I do my regular "try out flats for a while" I get much more finger noise than with rounds. You just adapt, plus probably with the new strings hear all the noise that`s different, and all that used to happen on the old strings, well as it was the norm, didn`t notice it.

I'm using really light gauge rotosounds, I know new rounds are zingy and the low gauge they are very easy to move so they pick up a lot of noise.

Noticed my hand pain i had a recent thread about has already improved using the light gauge.

I'm going to put the effort in to improve technique and gives my ears a new sound to tune into.