Why become a member? ×

Squier Gary Jarman Signature Bass

TransistorBassMan

The guitar looks great but the bass... it's a Bass V with a Tele headstock and a P-Pickup.
Just not right.

The pup looks out of place.

Why do Fender do amazing looking sig guitars but when it comes to bass they remain the same as stock ones or go f-uglier (like this one)?

Fair play to Fender for trying something a bit different, but you've got to get the proportions right and IMO something that slim also has to be sleek - to me it looks weird, stretched out or something, like an awkward gangly youth on a growth spurt but not all of their body got the memo.

Edited by neepheid

• 1 year later...

Got to wonder, given the chance of a signature bass, the guy could have had a double P pickup setup, could have had a bass with 3 pickups, maybe a J/P/J config, Series/Parallel switching, active eq etc, theres a whole lot of possibilities............................................................
And he decided to not only stick with the most common pickup configuration but to make the bass as ugly as sin too, nothing against P bass configurations but if I was to have a signature P bass it would have double or maybe even triple P pickups, something interesting anyway

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1487781038' post='3242839']
Got to wonder, given the chance of a signature bass, the guy could have had a double P pickup setup, could have had a bass with 3 pickups, maybe a J/P/J config, Series/Parallel switching, active eq etc, theres a whole lot of possibilities............................................................
And he decided to not only stick with the most common pickup configuration but to make the bass as ugly as sin too, nothing against P bass configurations but if I was to have a signature P bass it would have double or maybe even triple P pickups, something interesting anyway
[/quote]
I see where you are coming from but reading the blurb about the bass he mentions him and his brother have always loved the weird shaped fenders (I'm surprised they didnt go for a fender performer http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/the-fenders-youve-never-heard-of)

From what I can see he wanted a different shaped fender with a precision type sound that has a mid scale neck.
Personally its a style I'm quite drawn to- I think it should have a jazz pup at the bridge.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1487842710' post='3243372']
I see where you are coming from but reading the blurb about the bass he mentions him and his brother have always loved the weird shaped fenders...

....From what I can see he wanted a different shaped fender with a precision type sound that has a mid scale neck.
Personally its a style I'm quite drawn to- I think it should have a jazz pup at the bridge.
[/quote]

I just spotted one of these basses on ebay, and hadn't seen one, or heard anything about them...
So, Just bumping this thread, as someone asked whether any BC'ers had bought one?
I'm quite interested in medium scale basses atm. I've got one, which I dabble with, and find it quite a comfortable scale

Whilst it's not the most attractive Fender bass, I agree that they're trying something a bit different. After all, plenty of people call Fenders "boring" or "run of the mill" and accuse them of not being adventurous enough with design! - so hats off to them for trying something unusual. Also, it looks very similar in terms of neck finish, to the Squier Classic Vibe series. If it's made in the same factory as the CV's and the Matt Freeman sig - then I'm sure it'll be great quality!

I quite like the colour, and I quite like the shape & design personally, though I agree I'd probably want to see the pickup in a different position, and it probably would look better with two pickups - perhaps a P/J, or maybe a P and MM type pickup?

Anyhow, I'm also wondering whether any BC'ers have one of these? I'd just like to hear the thoughts of someone who plays one :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1489977765' post='3261220']
wow I thought it laughable when Adam Clayton got a sig bass, but now the truth is obvious.

You can pay Fender to make a sig bass for you, if the price....is right.

A fugly bass for an unknown bassist, should sell millions of these lol
[/quote]

I agree with the criteria suggested by your post. Signature instruments should definitely only be given to moderately known musicians who display a higher than average amount of technical proficiency and are prepared to pay for it.

:)

Not personally a fan of this model though or the Bass V the shape is based on.

Edited by Ruiner

all this hate ! :ph34r:
I'm more drawn to to it than ever. Still yet to meet someone who has tried one. will pop over to offset forum to see what they say!
I reckon its got potential to be of value in a few years time considering no one seems to have played one and from what I gather are discontinued.

There's one in the shop around the corner from me. It's not dissimilar in shape to the Fender 5 bass (James Jamerson had one so that's alright!).

The Cribs are a great band and the Jarman brothers write and record some really good songs and put on awesome shows. They do a huge amount the promo and band admin themselves and are very approachable, decent, down to earth guys. I can't think of anyone more worthy of a sig bass.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1490377242' post='3264772']

The Cribs are a great band and the Jarman brothers write and record some really good songs and put on awesome shows. They do a huge amount the promo and band admin themselves and are very approachable, decent, down to earth guys. I can't think of anyone more worthy of a sig bass.
[/quote]

Agreed.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1493140819' post='3286002']
Just bit the bullet and ordered one. I wanted a short / medium scale P Bass to use with flats and this fits the bill. I quite like the look of it and love the colour. A Fender Custom Shop pickup, a Kiogon wiring kit and a good setup should do the trick. Watch this space.
[/quote]

What do you think of it?

OK... So I finally found some time to go and pick up the bass form the shop. And... I only have good things to report :D

First impression taking it out of the box is that the Ocean Turquoise finish is stunning. All the guys in the shop were impressed with it too. The white pearloid pickguard looks great too and adds to the overall premium look of this bass.

Picking it up and inspecting it closely, the fit and finish are up there with the best Fender stuff. I have to say... All the Crafted in China Fender or Squier stuff I've seen has been quite impressive in that department. I used to own one of the now discontinued Modern Player Coronado II basses and that was the best put together Fender I've owned, including all sorts of US and Japanese. I'll put it this way: If it didn't have Squier written on the headstock you happily believe this is a bass worth at least three times more. It looks that good. The design reminds me of something out of the Jetsons, which I think it's pretty cool. It won't be to everyone's taste though, granted.

The setup right out of the box was really good too. The Fender nickel rounds that come with it are not to my taste, still... The bass could have easily been taken straight to a gig tonight. Looks like QC is doing their job properly, or I got really lucky... Or both :P

Now the most important part: The sound! I wasn't expecting much from the stock pickups and electrics, but I have to say... Yet again these Crafted in China instruments impress me here. The bass sounds just like a good P Bass should. It reminds me somehow of how my '77 P sounds. And that means real good! If you have any restrictions about the mysterious 'hardwood' they used for the body, you can forget about it. The bass is really resonant, has the right weight to it and sounds even better plugged in. I still might replace the pickups with the Fender pickups I normally put in all my basses more out of OCD than anything else. This is a gig worthy instrument on a professional level. For real!

If anyone out there is looking for a slightly shorter scale perfect sounding P Bass with a great neck (and quirky looks)... Just go for it. It's a steal!

Edited by eddiehoffmann

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump an old post, but how does the scale work on this? As I understand, the scale length is the distance from nut to the 12th fret doubled, so does that mean that the neck is shorter than a normal P or J Bass? I ask because I saw a picture of one online next to a 51-style P Bass (34" scale), and the Jarman was much bigger, but I suppose that was down to body size.

Pic halfway down this page: [url="https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=104568&start=15"]https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=104568&start=15[/url]

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1499439240' post='3331591']
Sorry to bump an old post, but how does the scale work on this? As I understand, the scale length is the distance from nut to the 12th fret doubled, so does that mean that the neck is shorter than a normal P or J Bass? I ask because I saw a picture of one online next to a 51-style P Bass (34" scale), and the Jarman was much bigger, but I suppose that was down to body size.

Pic halfway down this page: [url="https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=104568&start=15"]https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=104568&start=15[/url]
[/quote]

That's right. It's a 32" scale but the "bum" makes it longer than my P Bass for example. If your gig bag or case fits a P Bass or a Jazz exactly, the Jarman won't fit.