Why become a member? ×

Musicman StingRay 5 Comparisson: ALNICO vs. Ceramic, 2-Band vs. 3-Band (Video)

Meypelnek

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I'd like to share with you my comparisson of the three different StingRay 5 types: 3-Band with Ceramic [/size][/font][/color]PU[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3] and ALNICO [/size][/font][/color]PU[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3], 2-Band Classic). All three basses have a maple fretboard, ash body and are equipped with Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinkys. Happy for some thumbs up or a comment.[/size][/font][/color]

[url="https://youtu.be/s-aUNbUu268"]https://youtu.be/s-aUNbUu268[/url]

[url="http://forums.ernieball.com/attachments/music-man-basses/29405d1454485117-musicman-stingray-5-comparisson-alnico-vs-ceramic-2-band-vs-3-band-video-clipboard01.jpg"][attachment=211372:Clipboard01.jpg][/url]

Cool video, I'd been wondering about the differences between the ceramic and ALNICO versions for a while.

Where these recorded in Series or parallel?

I think I liked the 2005 model with the ceramic pickup best, it sounded the most focused and clear without being overbearing; I did like the 2013 version too, and whilst clearly a good tone the classic was my least favorite of the three.

If you were to record some more, I'd love to hear more of the differences between the low Bs, as that's really what makes or breaks a five string

Thanks!

I have to admit I was surprised to find out that the ALNICO/2-Band EQ is closer to the Ceramic/3-Band than the ALNICO/3-Band. Eventhough the 2-Band has a little more of that "hiss" that I (to be honest) sometimes EQ out with the highcut filter (>8 KHz) of my Boss GT-10B. Don't tell Leo!

I have a Classic Ray 5 (alnico), two Ray's (2008 onwards so alnico - a HS and HH) and a Sterling 5 HS (ceramic - basically the original Ray 5 elecs in a different bass). The Classic Ray 5 is IT for me...I love it. I'd say it is the best bass guitar I have ever seen or played in my 20 or so years playing.

I do still love the other for their own different tones. The Sterling is more aggressive and modern sounding, which makes sense. The normal Ray 5's sound like a Ray should. All of them have super clear B's.

Regardless of the pickup type, How on earth do they make 34" B string sound that good and focused. It has to be that HB in a certain position.?. I remember owning a single HB SR5 and the B string was just monstrously punchy. Not versatile imo, but it was very MM cool. It didn't feel like the B string was floppy either. The neck if you don't mind the spacing was the best 5 string there is.

I do think sometimes even if you have a floppy B string, if the tone is very punchy, your fingers play softer so it doesn't feel as floppy. if that makes sense.

The trade off is a Lakland 55-02.

Edited by bubinga5

Guest Jecklin

My preference is the all black+maple ceramic 3band then the classic and in 3rd place the black+white alnico 3band.

This and the other music man comparison video really is not helping my gas situation.

Agree with you! I have played a lot of 34" scale 5 string basses - Musicman (incl. Bongo, Sterling, etc.) is still a reference to me.

Glad you all like the tone of the Classic. It is the only StingRay 5 that is going to stay with me. Simply can not afford to "collect" them. But to me it is a great compromise with "best of both worlds" - and of course - I dig the figured neck.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]The 3-Bands were all set flat (center detent), the Classic (no center detent) both knobs on approx. 50%.
That is (according to Leo Fender's patent) [size=4]Bass boosted halfway (bass is boost only) and treble flat (t[/size][/font][size=3][size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]reble control is both cut and boost).[/font][/size]

[size=1]Source: [/size][/size][/font][size=1][url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/7512-some-music-man-history-george-fullerton-6.html#post166129"]http://forums.ernieb...html#post166129[/url][/size]

Edited by Meypelnek

That 3-band alnico sounded awful next to the other two. Maybe to do with how the EQ was set (how was it set)? Still, I would've thought the preamp on the regular non-classics should be the same.

Aren't the 3-bands cut/boost with centre detents, and the 2-bands boost only on the bass and boost/cut on the highs with no detent?

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1454754814' post='2972603']
Hey nice one! Great to hear the different flavours. Well done video.
[/quote]

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1454779704' post='2972959']
That 3-band alnico sounded awful next to the other two. Maybe to do with how the EQ was set (how was it set)? Still, I would've thought the preamp on the regular non-classics should be the same.[/quote]
The EQ for the 3-bands was set flat = center detent. When Musicman changed the SR5 PU in 2008 they also slightly modified the pre-amp. The Cermamics have a pre-amp with parallel/single coil/series whilst the ALNICOs were equipped with a pre-amp that features parallel/series+filter/parallel and they obviously tweaked the frequencies. The 2-Band in the Classics is exactly the same as in the Standard 2-Band 4-string StingRays, no change here.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1454779704' post='2972959']Aren't the 3-bands cut/boost with centre detents, and the 2-bands boost only on the bass and boost/cut on the highs with no detent?
[/quote]
Exactly.