Why become a member? ×

Smallest Kick Drum?

cheddatom

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1454438835' post='2969781']
There's these, too, of course ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McCabe-Stompbox-Stomp-Box-Foot-Drum-Stomper-Walnut-/252272830024?hash=item3abca1e648:g:xNAAAOSw-zxWo9u-"]Wooden Stomp Box ...[/url]
[/quote]

We use one of these with a Cajon and a couple of percussion bits here and there for toned down gigs. It's great and gives the drummers hands a break from the Cajon when needs be!

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1454439117' post='2969788']
Is that a wooden box with a pickup in it? Thats actually quite cleaver.
[/quote]

No; this is a cleaver ... :mellow:

... but, yes, it's just a box with a captor in it (a piezo, or just a cheap dynamic mic capsule; it matters little...).
A cheap mic in a butter tub would do, too..! B)

I actually made a Seasick Steve style stomp board for a mate a few years ago and it worked really well as his bass drum.

Basically it's a 2x2 wood frame, about 12 x 8, with a plywood 'skin' and base board., I made the 'skin' side thinner for more give, and stuck a cheap a piezo pick up on the underside of the 'skin' with Araldite, wired to a quarter inch jack socket. , it takes some hammer, so the construction needs to be pretty robust, but I found it was better not to screw the skin side down, but rather nail it, to give more opportunity for movement and resonance.

We had great fun painting it too - folk art!

When you eq it, you can get a pretty good bass drum-ish thump. He plays it by literally stomping on it, and suits his acoustic blues well.

Ive actually seen these turned up right, with simple side rails as legs, and some of that non slip rubber mat underneath,and a bass drum pedal attached to a wooden flange at the front,and then at might work for you if the music was in an accommodating genre. Not

much cop for a jazz gig obviously. Certainly about as small as you could got though.

The alternative might be to try and buy a stand alone trigger pad from an electronic kit off eBay,and just use that with the of the acoustic kit.

Well I went with the video Dad recommended and have my own cost free tupperware kick! I just need to fix some rubber to the bottom to stop it moving so much, although I think it'll be OK on a drum rug.

This is recorded with a go pro and the kick going through the small PA in my live room

[media]http://youtu.be/3WQnGLSFrHQ[/media]

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1455047065' post='2975448']...
This is recorded with a go pro and the kick going through the small PA in my live room...
[/quote]

Yay..! Result..! Final 'tweak'..? Double-sided beater; just a twist to go from hard 'clack' to softer 'thud'. No, don't thank me; just a postal order will do. Good work, lad; well done. B)

that beater is on it's soft side, the side facing up is wood but I really didn't like the sound of that as it's pretty clicky anyway. I was going to use a fully soft beater but for some reason it's shaft won't fit in this particular pedal.

I should have mentioned, I have this going through 3 pedals, a boss noise gate, a boss bass EQ, and a boss bass limiter. The natural sound of this mic in a box isn't much good for anything other than triggering (which is what the guy in that video was using his for).

I'd like to play about with different size boxes and different amount of dampening but I know I'll never find the time to bother as this set-up works so well!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1455097623' post='2975763']
Ah man, that's a shame. They have a killer video screen too.
[/quote]

That was half of the attraction. We usually have to carry around our own TV to show the football in the background but it's a bitch to carry. I think we'll start checking with the landlords in advance, nothing less than a wall mounted 42" LED from now on

I don't find the screen such an issue, we carry drills and fixings to every gig to fit it, its the six extra d and b monitors wet have to distribute around the venue so the punters can hear the football over the band. Naturally we have our own six d and b monitors (who doesn't?!) but we have to hire in the extra six and I don't know anyone that has them just lying around at £30k a set!?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1455099890' post='2975790']
That was half of the attraction. We usually have to carry around our own TV to show the football in the background but it's a bitch to carry. I think we'll start checking with the landlords in advance, nothing less than a wall mounted 42" LED from now on
[/quote]

42"? Gosh, your standards are low. And you should be stipulating OLED as a minimum. C'mon man, don't sell yourself short.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1455100643' post='2975799']
Naturally we have our own six d and b monitors (who doesn't?!) but we have to hire in the extra six and I don't know anyone that has them just lying around at £30k a set!?
[/quote]

Well, it just so happens there is a guy you may be able to call on...