Why become a member? ×

John Entwistle or Chris Squire, who do you prefer and why?

The-Ox

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Chris Squire picked more interesting note choices (intervals) and had a style that crossed chord changes in a pleasing, dynamic way. He also had a cutting, monstrous vibrating tone.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Entwistle's playing and The Who on the other hand do not interest me at all. [/font][/color]

Edited by Spoombung

It's funny, somehow I feel I'm kinda programmed to say "Well, Entwistle, of course." but actually, when I look at my listening habits it is Squire's playing I keep going back to and whose playing I most enjoy. Throughout his career he was playing melodically interesting lines and riffs across Yes' various styles. And always with an incredibly tone. Entwistle was, of course a phenomenal player, a huge influence on many and a bass innovator. However, particularly later in his career that clanky, trebly live tone he adopted was all but unlistenable (better on studio recordings, thankfully).

When I listen to the Who I tend to listen to the overall band sound and, actually, the bass is one of the least important elements to me - certainly not in comparison to Townsend's guitar, Moon's drums or Daltrey's vocals. When I listen to Yes I tend to appreciate all the parts of teh arrangement but my ear does keep homing in on Squire's playing.

So for me it's Squire by a very long (Rickenbacker) neck.

Both have their merits.
I prefer The Who to Yes by a long way.

I have met John Entwistle who was a perfect gent.
He invented bass techniques, as far as I am concerned.

I vote John, but admired what I heard of Chris. He always had a superb sound.
Yes were too complex for me on the whole.

Edited by 12stringbassist

Who can the OP learn the most from? Well, for the most part, great as he was, Entwistle soloed through the Who's canon, being pretty much the lead player in the band, while Townshend held down the rhythm (probably the reason most folks don't like Pino with the Who, he's playing rhythm too). Squire, on the other hand, was mostly supporting the guitar and keyboards while they went off on one. So, if the OP is in a band where he can solo all the time, JE is the one to pay more attention to. However, if his role is more traditional, CS is a better example. IMO listen to both (they were both fantastic musicians, ahead of their time and just monster technicians) and just take what works for you.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1454769614' post='2972814']
... Well, for the most part, great as he was, Entwistle soloed through the Who's canon, being pretty much the lead player in the band, while Townshend held down the rhythm (probably the reason most folks don't like Pino with the Who, he's playing rhythm too). ...
[/quote]

Isn't Palladino largely playing the same lines as Entwistle but with a less harsh distorted and trebly tone?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1454771027' post='2972837']

Isn't Palladino largely playing the same lines as Entwistle but with a less harsh distorted and trebly tone?
[/quote]I feel the great man can't help finding a groove and not having Moon all over the kit makes that easier. That makes those lines that are completely JE and not PP's version of them, slip into the background, combined with, as you quite rightly point out, a more traditional bass tone (I couldn't abide JE's tone at the end; just unlistenable. Now it's Townshend's Satriani impressions that make me want to reach for the mute button).

Mmm strange one this the who je great bassist my generation solo bit but the camera panned onto Townsend , yes , I found them more trippy in a good way and squire got the job done.swings and roundabouts 😺

Edited by kevvo66

• 6 years later...
5 minutes ago, Gumplord said:

Sorry... just found this!

No apologies required. It’s just BC form to comment when it’s been a while and 6 years is a while and a half. You’ll get the hang of it. Which leads me to…

:crigon_04:

Back on topic. I see you’re also a Geddy fan (good for you 👍). I think one of the things that we can all learn from messrs Squire, Entwhistle & Lee is that what could kindly be described as a gnarly tone, soloed, is absolutely perfect in a band mix. JE’s mixed tone on The Real Me is one of my favourites of all time, but soloed I hate it.

It's a zombie thread, but it's an interesting question nonetheless.

Looking through the comments I'm surprised to see that some have said how similar they are🤔

I see nothing similar about them other than they were both in rock bands and made names for themselves.

Chris Squire was predominantly a pick player.

John Entwistle was known for his unusual finger style.

CS's bass parts were pretty much written and set in stone.

JE's bass parts were largely improvised.

CS's lines incorporated a mixture of pentatonics and diatonic scale tones*.

JE's lines leaned more towards the use of pentatonics*.

(* These are just my general perceptions - I haven't done an in depth study.)

They both had very different sounds.

I don't prefer one over the other - I was a fan of both!🙂

3 hours ago, Gumplord said:

And as an American (sorry), I'm grateful that you guys invented progressive rock. I don't think it could have happened without the classical influence, and, frankly, that wasn't here in my country. Thanks always for that!

I would say that American bands like The Vanilla Fudge were a big influence on British prog rock. And Hendrix, despite being primarily a blues player. And Miles Davis and John Coltrane. British musicians of that era were hugely influenced by American music, no doubt about that. There could be no prog without improvisational jazz, and that was a uniquely American invention.

You are quite right that Chris Squire was inspired by JE, but I suppose like all the best musicians he took that influence and made something of his own with it. Both wonderful players with distinct musical personalities. I can't think of any current bass players with such unique voices on the instrument. I like your taste!🙂

Edited by Misdee

5 hours ago, Gumplord said:

And as an American (sorry), I'm grateful that you guys invented progressive rock. I don't think it could have happened without the classical influence, and, frankly, that wasn't here in my country. Thanks always for that!

I protest my innocence in this matter. I was out of the country at the time!

Edited by Barking Spiders